Kingies And Everything Eats Squid In Pittwater!

namesay

I went out fishing this morning with my 2 boys. THe weather was really bad but the forecast was for improving conditions. So got the boat out and even put on the clears and bimini!!

Went to Bayview at 6am and there were a few people there. Went to get some squid for bait. Lately there has been a run of really small squid in Pittwater. No bigger than the size of your hand. Doesn't matter they all get eaten. We caught a few. THey were really shy as the jigs were too big compared to the size of the squid. The boys loved the squid fishing and got carried away and we spent more time than expected catching these squid.

We did our usual troll with the downrigger. Saw tailer busting up everywhere. They were attacking our squid. We caught several and decided to move to another spot to escape the tailer.

Tried the bays in Pittwater for kings but the water temp today was low. 17-18C. Spotted some kings on the sounder near a wreck and trolled around them time and time again. Finally got one to eat the bait. It was only a small fish of 64cm but my 4 year old loved every moment of it.

Started to run out of bait as the tailer really tore the squid to pieces. Saw another boat using one of the tailer as bait but I left the HEAVY tackle at home. On the way back got another strike. It was a bream!!! on a WHOLE squid.

What a greedy fish. Anyway got home and now it is sunny!!!. Cheers Kelvin

Good going Kelvin, the kids must be loving the fishing, so much that they are keen to go out on a suspect day like today !!!

Amazing that the bream took your whole squid !!! Must have been mega hungry and aggressive.

Look forward to reading more of your king tales.

Sounds fantastic! Pittwater is on fire!!! :thumbup::yahoo: Seems like there's plenty of tailor and kings around to keep everyone occupied - and I have to admit that squidding can be great fun. Well done on the day's catch - some lovely fish there. I'm sure those tailor will cook up well. Enjoy! :thumbup: Sounds liuke that bream was on steroids...

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Guest Big-Banana

We were supposed to overnight, but the wind was terrible last night and pulled the plug. Still some good kings to be had in there, hoping they hang around for another week.

Yeah Flattieman, squidding is definitely ADDICTIVE. Catching these squid is often visual as you can see their ghost like presence stalking the jig. It also pisses you off when they either just touch the jig and fail to hook up or they just shy away at the last moment. You should see my two boys when they can see a few squid. I have to hold them back as they are ready to jump into the water to catch them by hand.

The wind WAS REALLY BAD. I can see why you pulled the plug Big Banana. I think the kings should start to come around the "front" real soon. Just hope the leather jackets have F$%^# off. Cheers Kelvin

I went out fishing this morning with my 2 boys. THe weather was really bad but the forecast was for improving conditions. So got the boat out and even put on the clears and bimini!!

Went to Bayview at 6am and there were a few people there. Went to get some squid for bait. Lately there has been a run of really small squid in Pittwater. No bigger than the size of your hand. Doesn't matter they all get eaten. We caught a few. THey were really shy as the jigs were too big compared to the size of the squid. The boys loved the squid fishing and got carried away and we spent more time than expected catching these squid.

We did our usual troll with the downrigger. Saw tailer busting up everywhere. They were attacking our squid. We caught several and decided to move to another spot to escape the tailer.

Tried the bays in Pittwater for kings but the water temp today was low. 17-18C. Spotted some kings on the sounder near a wreck and trolled around them time and time again. Finally got one to eat the bait. It was only a small fish of 64cm but my 4 year old loved every moment of it.

Started to run out of bait as the tailer really tore the squid to pieces. Saw another boat using one of the tailer as bait but I left the HEAVY tackle at home. On the way back got another strike. It was a bream!!! on a WHOLE squid.

What a greedy fish. Anyway got home and now it is sunny!!!. Cheers Kelvin

Hi kelvin

Great day out in Pittwater

I usually give squidding a miss when the wind is up. Maybe its just superstition or an old wives tale/ Do you have any thoughts on squd and wind??

Davo

i know what you mean

i went to pittwater last week and we had a shite of a day trying to catch squid

they were to small ,smaller then a small jig. :ranting2:

so we tried to downrig some some soft plastic stick baits, but nothing

we saw some activity , they were kings ,but nothing landed,

and headed home,

still good to see that you landed one and ya kid having a ball

well done mate :thumbup:

Edited by Crazy John

I hate wind!!! But you can't dictate what the weather will be when you go out. If I waited for perfect weather then I think I'd have to cancel 90% of all the fishing trips.

Having stated my dislike for wind, I don't think it matters too much when it comes to squidding. Wind makes it difficult to fish but I don't think it puts the squid off the bite especially first thing in the morning.

Today we caught over 6 squid and raised more than a dozen others. I use braid exclusively and this stuff floats which combined with the wind causes the smaller jigs to "float" and takes the jig off the strike zone. By simply sticking the rod tip into the water and using a long fluorocarbon trace you sort this problem out.

I understand ya crazy john. It really sucks when you can't source squid!! But there is a plague of small squid around in Pittwater. I even saw a huge school of squid no bigger than a 50cent coin floating by. I guess they will be great bait size in a month or two.

It really is bad when rubbish fish takes your hard won squid but thems are the breaks! cheers Kelvin

hey kelvin,

well done on that king mate 1 is surely better then NONE :1prop:

good to see ur boys out with u having a gr8 time..

as u said, those little 50cent squid u seen,

apparently they grow SUPER quick and normally dont really live all that long..

great effort none the less..

im armed with my new yo suris just a matter of getting out there and trying them out..

what LB mono leader do u tie to the jig?

is it just the braid to a swivel then mono to the jig head? simple as that?

cheers steve :1fishing1:

Catching squid doesn't get too much attention by most fishos unless they target kingfish. Then it is one of the most important things in your life! Mark at Freddys calls it McGillitis!!!

Yeah you can use a swivel but it limits the length of the leader and in smaller jigs it can affect the action. Better to tie a line to line connection like a double uniknot. I use upto 4meters of fluorocarbon leader as it sinks and counters the floating braid. Nylon mono is OK but fluorocarbon is better.

As with all fishing- fish as light as you can. I use 6 or 8lb leader. BUt be careful of some fluorocarbon leaders as knots can often slip. Don't want to lose those expensive squid jigs.Cheers Kelvin

Guest johblow

Oh man, nice report and photos! i cant believe im not in the country, im reading all these reports about kingie action and im still in korea. Will be home in one week and ill be out on the H2O the following weekend rain, hail or shine (but not wind perhaps!).

Cheers,

Jon

Nice days fishing catch and great to see the young ones into it.

What sort of boat do you have, I fish Pittwater launching from Bayview with my young ones and if I see you can then say Hi.

Must agree, nothing like the wind to wreack a good days fishing, however there is usually some place in Pittwater or Cowan that lets you get out of it and still catch a fish.

Cheers

Martin

Great stuff mate, good too see you getting consistent results.

catching squid is an odd thing with many different techniques that work well.

Once mastered it's actually quite simple and it is a must to learn if you want to target kings.

Well done mr consistency!! :1fishing1::thumbup:

I just hope those guys with the nets just leave this place alone. :mad3: I didn't see too many people getting kingies on Sunday and a LOT of floating weed around. Could be the pros dragging their nets on the bottom or just the conditions. I just hope the kingies stay around the moorings away from the nets.Cheers Kelvin

Great stuff mate, good too see you getting consistent results.

catching squid is an odd thing with many different techniques that work well.

Once mastered it's actually quite simple and it is a must to learn if you want to target kings.

You are SOOO right. cheers Kelvin