Saltwater Vs Freshwater

kirill

Hi all,

I am very new to boating and buying my first boat. I am looking to use the boat for fishing and a little wakeboarding. Can someone please tell me if Fiberglas boats stand up well to salt water vs freshwater?

I am not looking to go our far off shore or anything, I am just wondering if different materials stand up to saltwater and freshwater differently.

Are boats generally made for one or the other or are most able to handle both?

Also, what makes a boat 'safe'? I've seen some people claim that their boat is unsinkable, what make them so? Is it the shape/size or type of hull or what?

Thanks very much for your help.

Kirill

Hi Kirill, aluminium aand fibreglas will both stand up to fresh and salt water alike. Aluminium boats are lighter, need less power to drive them and are cheaper to buy. Fibreglas is heavier and therefore generally provides a more stable craft that can cut through rough water faster/smoother. To see how stable a boat is, put it in the water and move from one side to the other, unstable boats (naarrow or light) will rock considerably more. The weight and the beam will affect stability. Whatever you get, it will be 1000% more enjoyable than standing on the bank looking at others in boats. Good luck to you.

Hi all,

I am very new to boating and buying my first boat. I am looking to use the boat for fishing and a little wakeboarding. Can someone please tell me if Fiberglas boats stand up well to salt water vs freshwater?

I am not looking to go our far off shore or anything, I am just wondering if different materials stand up to saltwater and freshwater differently.

Are boats generally made for one or the other or are most able to handle both?

Also, what makes a boat 'safe'? I've seen some people claim that their boat is unsinkable, what make them so? Is it the shape/size or type of hull or what?

Thanks very much for your help.

Kirill

A lot of manufacturers now claim that thier boats are unsinkable, I believe recent legislation requires flotation in new vessels (I am not sure of the start date)

However! Keep in mind that unsinkable does not make a boat un-capsizeable!! There is a very big difference.

I don't think there is a boat known to man that will not capsize once pushed past her limits.

Cheers.

Robbie.

Guest IFishSick.

I beleive it starts from next year every boat over 5m has to be foam filled so that if it splits in half it will still flaot on top of the water.