Where Do You Go And Get Your Boat Polished?

Guest rzep

Hi,

I have the bug now to get a whole lot of things done to my boat and one of them is to have the boat completly polished...

The fiberglass looks pretty dull and I have taken off the old pin stripes and it looks pretty crappy, so can anyone recommend a place where they have used to have their boats polished...

Also I have some new stickers to have placed on the boat so I need them put on as well.

Edited by rzep

Hi

Oddly enough I have just finished detailing my boat

- washed

- 2 coats of polish

- 1 coat wax

Took me two days and did it myself. I found the Starbrite polish as my first coat and then McGuires for the 2nd coat followed by the McGuires wax :thumbup: worked a treat and the boat looks like showroom condition. I can now just sit and admire it. I got the Starbrite at Witworths and McGuires at BIAS.

(The nappies I used as polish rags were new and spare left overs from the baby days. :074: )

However while at an marine mechanic I came across a guy detailing a boat who I thought was doing a great job and got me thinking about doing it. I got his card.

Pittwater Detailing charges $50 an hour if you want his phone number PM me.

I did it myself to save the money as I had just put new led trailer lights on and had some over stuff done and am about to buy new bucket seats.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Martin

Hi,

I have the bug now to get a whole lot of things done to my boat and one of them is to have the boat completly polished...

The fiberglass looks pretty dull and I have taken off the old pin stripes and it looks pretty crappy, so can anyone recommend a place where they have used to have their boats polished...

Also I have some new stickers to have placed on the boat so I need them put on as well.

Hey rzep,

Do your self a favour and polish your self, it is so much more rewarding :thumbup:

Using a buff machine does require a bit of experience to get a good result. But it can be done manually if you have the time and motivation.

As for the stickers all you need is a clean surface a roll of masking tape and a second opinion to get them straight. ;)

Cheers.

Robbie.

Guest mrs_rzep

Hi Guys,

I am so glad that you all posted up that Paul (rzep) should do the job himself.

That has now saved me $600 in having someone to do the job and it kept Paul busy ALL day as he was out there working on the boat doing the polishing.

Again thanks guys! :1prop:

LOL yeah it is hard yards.

I have a buffer, and use 2 differnet foam pads, ones yellow and helps cut the otehrs black as a polisher.

Few tips when using a mechanical device to buff, do it in the shade better for u the boat and the waxy ( this really is very very important) and use heaps of water this will keep the buffer cool and not burnt he wax or glass.

I did mine a few mths back and it makes the boat look like new.

Jon

My arms are about to fall off.

:mad3:

Is your boat for lookin at or fishin out of? my boat might have been polished 20 years ago when it came out of the boatbuilders shop, but any money spent on it since has gone into gear, fuel or bait. I'll polish it when I give up fishin and sell it.

Is your boat for lookin at or fishin out of

Well that is your descision Yoda.

I like to look after the things that I own and I take pride in them.

If that means that I get sore arms then that's what has to happen.

It is used for fishing and after every trip it is cleaned meticulously.