Sydney Harbour 25th Oct

ko76

Launched 6am and over to Middle Harbour and jigged around for some squid. After 40mins with no success we decided to call it quits and chase the Salmon.

Over to North Head and the ever reliable Salmon school was there. With the water temps up the Salmon seemed much more energetic, moving around much faster than they have been over the past few months. The sea wasnt the best with a decent wind and swell but we managed to bag 4 Salmon over the next couple of hours using flick baits and poppers. Getting a bit sick of catching Salmon but they are still great fun on light gear.

A change of tactics led us over to the eastern wedding cake that didnt produce exept for some throw-back snapper. Only good thing was gettiing some livies that we then trolled around sow & pigs for zip(trying to christen the new downrigger). Trolled back to middle harbour still with no success. After a bit more of a fish west of the spit for not much more we called it a day.

From my own efforts and speaking with other raiders like Namesay it seems like harbour squid are really hard to find lately. Might give Long Reef a try next week for a change. Does anyone know how its fishing lately?

post-1708-1161942361_thumb.jpg post-1708-1161942378_thumb.jpg

Hi,

What is the size of your boat.? I have a 4.1m tinnie but I have so far been to scared to go past middle head because of the swell. You dont seem to have much problem handling the swell.

Dean

Dean,

I dont mind going out in a high swell but I dont like tackling high seas.

Mine is a 4.4m. Its a Quintrex Fish-About hull converted to centre console. Esentially it is a largish tinnie. These models of hull are very old but known for excellent stability. I dont have too much problem with swell. Make sure you dont have too much weight at either end of your boat, take it slow (ie dont plough through waves or try to set high jump records) and take swell/waves relatively straight on (no more than 30degrees). Im not sure of the make of your tinnie but I see people with smaller tinnies than mine go even further offshore.

If you have the right safety gear and pick your days ragarding the weather I would say most boats could go most places(relatively) as along as you use common sense.

Kenji

Dean,

I dont mind going out in a high swell but I dont like tackling high seas.

Mine is a 4.4m. Its a Quintrex Fish-About hull converted to centre console. Esentially it is a largish tinnie. These models of hull are very old but known for excellent stability. I dont have too much problem with swell. Make sure you dont have too much weight at either end of your boat, take it slow (ie dont plough through waves or try to set high jump records) and take swell/waves relatively straight on (no more than 30degrees). Im not sure of the make of your tinnie but I see people with smaller tinnies than mine go even further offshore.

If you have the right safety gear and pick your days ragarding the weather I would say most boats could go most places(relatively) as along as you use common sense.

Kenji

Thanks

I have a 4.1 ally craft rhino. it is fairly wide and deep for it's length. I think 4.2 metre.

Oneday I will pluck enough courage to go to north head and chase the sambo.

Dean

lol i have a small 4.10 tinnie aswell ive been to north head heaps of times out of port kembla ive gone about 4kms offsore with that size of boat it doesnt matter but u gota watch out for the swell and wind as it can pick upo a strong southerly and be a long trip it has happend to me i was only 2kms out at a island then it became 25knots took me about 30minz just for a 2km trip