Pb Flattie

kbark

Went out yesterday morning for a quick landbased session to try a new sp in anticipation of the flattie social (not sure if I can make it though). I had 30min before a meeting and managed to land 6 flatties, 4 over 40cm. No pics of that session.

Later that day me and a mate took the tinny out and I landed this one. She didn't want anything to do with the boat. Took me almost 10 minutes on 4lb fireline to convince her into the net and after a couple of shots I let her go.

She went 63.5cm and not sure on the weight. A new pb on lure. Needless to say I've found a new favourite sp.

If only all the sessions were as good as these...post-1521-1162018853_thumb.jpg

Released after a couple of pics...(I usually keep one or two but nothing under 40 or over 60)

Missed that in the text, mate. That's quite a sensible way to look at flathead sizes for food - and it's being widely adopted these days. :thumbup: In essence, you won't get much meat off a flattie under 40cm, and 60cm+ fish are likely to be breeding females. Hopefully she's swimming around Narra Lakes, creating the next generation of flatties! :thumbup::yahoo:

Flattieman.

Nice lizzard Kbark. The lake sure has some monsters in there.

I've managed quite a few decent sized duskies lately from the lake.

Seems to have woken up all of a sudden.

I had one that went just under 60cm last week that did an impersonation of a marlin

and jumped about 3 feet out of the water when I set the hook.

I'm now getting more flatties than bream lately which is unusual.

Mine are all on pillies as I haven't mastered lures with all the weed about.

Was that old gal taken up near the creeks by any chance?

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

I had one that went just under 60cm last week that did an impersonation of a marlin

and jumped about 3 feet out of the water when I set the hook.

I can vividly remember an article written by Steve Starling titled "Leaping Lizards" where he describes just that phenomenon, mate. It occurs most in shallow water, however, I've had smaller flatties jump in two metres of water (never seen a biggun do it - must've been an impressive sight)! As far as using SPs when there's weed around, if it's weed on the bottom (wed beds), I'd go for a weedless presentation. Even if there's weed on the surface, it's never really bothered me all-too-much. When your lind weeds up at the hook (you'll feel it), just retrieve it and cast again... Welll... that's how I do it anyway.

Flattieman.

Thanks for the tip Flattie.

I'll give it another go and see if I can manage that.

Can't wait for the sand dredging to finish and they open up the

lake again to the sea.

It should really liven things up in there.

Pete.