Garmin Gps

domza

After recently buying a new (second hand) hand held gps off a fellow raider it has stuffed up. :mad3:

I only got to use the thing once or twice which really shits me.. :mad3:

The problem started yesterday, in the boat at the ramp, started seting up gear and moving rods ect..

I stick the cable into the 12v socket and secure the gps to the dash..

I then turn on the gps, and to my horror, it did not track one (1) satellite. I thought hmm..might be because of the cold weather(even though ive used it in colder conditions).

All throughout the day i couldn't get a satellite which makes the thing completely useless.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whats wrong with it, or did i spend over 200dollars on a lemon?

I'm guessing its the antenna because everything else seems to work fine. It hasn't taken on water or moisture as it sits under a carport in the boats cabin and in its own little pouch..

Is this kind of thing fixable or should i be looking at a new gps(BRAND new)

:1badmood::1badmood:

edit: the gps is a garmin gps 72

Edited by domza

After recently buying a new (second hand) hand held gps off a fellow raider it has stuffed up. :mad3:

I only got to use the thing once or twice which really shits me.. :mad3:

The problem started yesterday, in the boat at the ramp, started seting up gear and moving rods ect..

I stick the cable into the 12v socket and secure the gps to the dash..

I then turn on the gps, and to my horror, it did not track one (1) satellite. I thought hmm..might be because of the cold weather(even though ive used it in colder conditions).

All throughout the day i couldn't get a satellite which makes the thing completely useless.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whats wrong with it, or did i spend over 200dollars on a lemon?

I'm guessing its the antenna because everything else seems to work fine. It hasn't taken on water or moisture as it sits under a carport in the boats cabin and in its own little pouch..

Is this kind of thing fixable or should i be looking at a new gps(BRAND new)

:1badmood::1badmood:

edit: the gps is a garmin gps 72

Had a look through the FAQ,s here http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/search.jsp but couldnt see much other than mabye updating the software for it. On my brotherin laws Magellan if it got screwed up you were able to reset it by a number of key presses, If you got the manual have a look through it,or you can download it from Garmin

If you have a external antennae i would be checking that first.

Or mabye contact there tech advice here

http://www.garmin.com/contactUs/techSupport.jsp

Cheers twoducks

Do a system reset, then update the software.

did a system restart, not possible to update software on this model

still wont pick up a sattelite :1badmood: even tried reseting all user setups, which means i spent 30mins writing down waypoints :thumbdown:

i think the fact that it says the date is october 18 might be part of the problem. But even after reseting it, it still says october 18th..

there is an option in setup, but it wont let me get there to change the date..

Hi Domza,

I have a GPS 72 Garmin as well ,and its a beauty-I am not sure as to why your one is playing up but I have a few suggestions that may help.

I dredged up the quick start guide to my one and try this .

Stick some fresh aa batteries in it and then go outside ,turn it on and using the page button go to the acquiring sattelites page .Have a look at the rings and they should have some numbers in or around the two circles.These are the satellites along with the ID number for each.If there is none on there press the MENU button once and then scroll down to NEW LOCATION.Press ENTER and then try using the AUTOMATIC mode.

Press enter and it should then show AUTO LOCATE.

This forces the GPS to search for any satelites around.This may take a little time to acquire them as you are reinitialising it but it should work for you.

I have also gone into the SETUP on my garmin and enabled the WAAS (greater accuracy),the UTC offset should be at +11:00.Time zone at"OTHER".

Location format at hddd"mm"ss.s"

Map Datum WGS 84.

The interface should be on "GARMIN".

I hope that this works for you.I have found these things to be almost bullet proof and this is a variant of the ones used by US forces.I can also vouch for it floating as well,with batteries in it.

Let me know if this works

Simon

thanks mate, tried the auto locate, and after reseting everything, i chose sydney as the approximate place..

The date is still showing as the 18th (i think this is where the problem lies)

which software version are you running?

mine is running 2.10, but apparently there is a2.30?

should i be spending more money on buying a pc cable to instal this update?

My software is version 2.03.

I think that you should contact Garmin in sydney and explain the problem.These guys are pretty good and they should be able to set you right within a few miutes.

The date does sound a bit weird.

Also throwing money on a computer cable is a wast of money,I have a map programme that plots off the GPS onto 1:25000 maps but to be honest with you the information is only as good as the map that you have in the first place.

How much did you pay for it?

simon

2.03 is alot older then the one im running, so i don't think thats the problem.

could you explain a little more about this map program?

I will give garmin a call and see what they have have to say about it, no doubt they will advise me to take it to a authorized garmin dealer to get it looked at..

Guest Big-Banana

Dont buy the cable!!!

I was just about too and I spoke to Garmin service department out at Ryde. They updated my sounder free of charge and gave me a quick run down on how to get the most out of it. Very helpful bunch.

Thats good to hear that you are able to get the sattelites,is the date still wrong?.I guess that your little garmin had lost its marbles somewhere due to lack of use and had some cobwebs that needed cleaning out.

How many satelites were you able to pick up?