Anyone Identify This Old Tinnie?

caribet

I have an old tinnie that I am trying to find out about. Here are some pics of it:

post-256-1162275120_thumb.jpg

post-256-1162275131_thumb.jpg

It is pretty old as you can see. It is 4.3m long and it is wider at the front (1.8m) than at the rear (1.5m). I am trying to find out who made it and the year and model. It currently has a 40hp Tohatsu on it. I want to know if this is enough power for it and what prop would suit it. Also what type of boating it suits (strengths - if any and any weaknesses). I am new to boating but I think this boat is fairly slow. The GPS clocked it 36km/hr or there abouts (and I have a 15hp 12 footer that does around about that also.....maybe more. Mind you that is a new boat (Stacer 370).). It really stuggles to get any lift at the bow. I am guessing it is the design of the boat (will a change of prop alter this?). Any help much appreciated. Thanks

I have an old tinnie that I am trying to find out about. Here are some pics of it:

post-256-1162275120_thumb.jpg

post-256-1162275131_thumb.jpg

It is pretty old as you can see. It is 4.3m long and it is wider at the front (1.8m) than at the rear (1.5m). I am trying to find out who made it and the year and model. It currently has a 40hp Tohatsu on it. I want to know if this is enough power for it and what prop would suit it. Also what type of boating it suits (strengths - if any and any weaknesses). I am new to boating but I think this boat is fairly slow. The GPS clocked it 36km/hr or there abouts (and I have a 15hp 12 footer that does around about that also.....maybe more. Mind you that is a new boat (Stacer 370).). It really stuggles to get any lift at the bow. I am guessing it is the design of the boat (will a change of prop alter this?). Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Son Of Little Toot !!

Mick

G'day Caribet ,

Does it have a HIN ( Hull Identification Number ) on the stern? This information should appear on the rego papers , and should give you the year and manufacturer.

Also , if you could give me the engine model and serial number , I may be able to find out what year it was made .

Ross

I do have the HIN...however there are no details about the manufacturer or model number. The only thing it says is runabout. I do know what the engine is - It is a 1999 M40D Tohatsu (told it has done 50 hrs).

Thanks to the other guys who have given me their thoughts as to what the boat is......any further details from anyone would be super! Cheers

I agree with Stewy , Dehaviland Here is a photo of a 1966 Quinnie. Note the difference in the bow shape , Dehaviland was more uplifted , also the rear , Dehaviland was tapered in the transom where as the Quinnie had a cut out section

post-731-1162327033_thumb.jpg

Regarding the speed , you may want to recheck. The Quinnie in the photo had a 30hp Tohatsu & with 2 on board could reach 45km

Geoff

I found a photo , all be it a bit blury of the Quinnie looking from the back

Geoff

post-731-1162327489_thumb.jpg

I have checked it twice and it only goes that speed. Seems to struggle to get any lift at the front....doesn't seem to be a noticeable plane. Maybe could have something to do with the fact that the driver is at the front of the boat and it is very wide up there (maybe extra friction).....or again, maybe a prop type issue. I have even adjusted the trim to see if it makes a difference but it doesn't really (with that, the trim meter on the dash always says the boat is pointing down....can't get it above horizontal). I don't know so any other thoughts would be great.

caribet,

From what you are saying there it definately sounds like a trim problem.

The amount of force that a motoer need to excert with an incorrect trim is un-beleivable.

With the trim pointed down, as you say, then the motor is evectively trying to push the boat further down into the water.

I would recommend playing around with your trim to try and rectify this.

last time I was out I adjusted the tilt on the motor at various angles and it didn't do much. Maybe I was doing something wrong. All I did was adjust the angle of the motor with the auto tilt to see what difference it made. Still no good...

If oyu have electric trim then this definately makes a big difference in the ease in which you will be able to adjust your trim.

Maybe you will need some one to show you how to correctly adjust your trim as it can make a huge difference.

I have checked it twice and it only goes that speed. Seems to struggle to get any lift at the front....doesn't seem to be a noticeable plane. Maybe could have something to do with the fact that the driver is at the front of the boat and it is very wide up there (maybe extra friction).....or again, maybe a prop type issue. I have even adjusted the trim to see if it makes a difference but it doesn't really (with that, the trim meter on the dash always says the boat is pointing down....can't get it above horizontal). I don't know so any other thoughts would be great.

Standing up the front should not make any difference , mine was forward control.

Could be prop. Contact Cohoe Marine at Newtown. They should be able to advise the correct prop & how to identify what you have at presant & perhaps advise on the the trim meter issue

Also , check the keel line to see if it is straight. Some older model aluminium boats get what they call a banana shape , ie a bow in the keel. Whilst unlikely , if it does have a bow very little can be done

Geoff

Standing up the front should not make any difference , mine was forward control.

Could be prop. Contact Cohoe Marine at Newtown. They should be able to advise the correct prop & how to identify what you have at presant & perhaps advise on the the trim meter issue

Also , check the keel line to see if it is straight. Some older model aluminium boats get what they call a banana shape , ie a bow in the keel. Whilst unlikely , if it does have a bow very little can be done

Geoff

I think that may be the problem......ie there is a slight bow in the keel. What was the reason they did this?

Here are a couple of pics of the underneith:

IMG_0103_1_1.jpg

IMG_0115_2_1.jpg

If this bow developed over time (ie was not originally like this), could it be taken out by some means?

The outer sides of the bottom are somewhat straigher as shown in the following image:

IMG_0116_1_1_1.jpg

Edited by caribet

" If this bow developed over time (ie was not originally like this), could it be taken out by some means?"

Caribet Have been away for a few days hence my late reply.

I have only heard about this problem , not actually seen an example.

The guy I have heard speak on this problem is Rodger Huett @ Huett Marine , Cowan .

Give him a call

Also , have you checked the linkages to ensure you are getting full throttle. If not ,

With the motor OFF , remove the cowling

Select foward gear

Push control to full throttle

Check throttle cable / linkage in the motor to ensure it has gone all the way (or very close to ) the full throttle stop.

If the throttle linkage is some distance from the "stop" then adjustement will be necessary.

Note , the problem may be in the control box , not necessarly in the moror area

Geoff

Geoff

Thanks Geof I will give that guy a call and try what you said.

Bashir - quite right there are no rivets in the construction of the boat whole. Its all welded...... I am certainly hoping that someone who owns one of these or has owned one can confirm what she is.

de havillands were riveted and I can't see any rivets.

Bashir Correct , early model Dehavillands were rivited but if this is , as I suspect a mid to late 60's model , then technology had moved onto welding

Geoff