Bigger Motor

Narralakes

OK, getting closer to purchasing a new motor. I have rung around and the 8hp is around $1880, but a 15 hp is around $2200, $400 more for something alot bigger. Would like your advice on whether my boat would handle a 15 hp. Again, the guys at the shop where I got the boat HIN number reckons max 10 hp, but I have seen and heard of other boats with 15s that are close to the size of mine. Here is an attached pic, dimensions are roughly 3.5 m long, 1.5 wide, flat bottom punt.

thanks

Narra

Ken,

Your's is very similar to my old tinny, which is 12ft. :biggrinthumb:

Mine is rated to 9.9hp and came with an old Evinrude at the time. Didn't like the engine as it was old and unreliable so when my loal dealer had a 'deal' :1yikes: on a demo 8hp Evinrude I traded the old 9.9hp for an 8hp. Never noticed the difference except that it started EVERY time and has never failed me yet. Touch wood! :1prop::1tongue:

I'd say you'd notice the difference between an 8hp and a 15hp though. Can you get a 9.9hp? Do they still make them? Could be an option mate.

Cheers,

Herby

Herby and Grant,

thanks for your advice. The only reason I was thinking about the 15 is that the guy at the shop told me they were only $100 more than the 10 hp. I was a bit concerned that the 15 would be too much and even dangerous for that sized tinny, that is why I was asking for advice on that one. thanks again,

cheers

a 9.9 is usually a de-tuned 15hp anyway, so you may as well go for the 15 I reckon. It will be heaps of power, but who says you need to use it all. Better to understress a bigger engine than run a smaller one on full throttle all day.

Hey Narra,

The 9.9 and 15 Johno's are identical. Same block, pistons etc. The motors are even the same weight. I believe the difference is the carby only.Smaller jets in the 9.9 and a restrictive base plate. So you'll go through more fuel if thats an issue.

Yeah Ken,

Mate maybe im overreacting but if the boat is only rated up to 10hp and you put a 15hp on it im a little concerned about liability.

If you had an accident (touch wood) and bad things were to happen the first thing investigators look at is compatibility of boat to motor, and if your is overpowered that will have some implications. As I said maybe an overreaction but ive seen innocent situations turn bad on sillier things.

Bashir is right as well you dont have to use all the power. I just believe in having the right motor for the boat, and if a 15 were better than a 10 the manufacturer would have rated it that way. Usually the top rating is more than enough so having a motor 3 times more powerfull than your last is worth thinking about before you go ahead. :insane:

Maybe the dealer will let you try out a 9.9 before you buy it ? That would put your mind at ease.

Cheers :1prop:

Edited by Grantm

Now don't tell me that if you had 15, you wouldn't use it !!!!!!!!

15 will let you do the same speed with 3 on board as you do now with 2, then the welds in your boat will start to crack, like mine!!!!!!!! :1yikes:

Regards

Howard!

Ps, public liability and insurance could be a issue as well!

I'm an now leaning towards the Tohatsu 9.8, which the guy told me is the lightweight version, its a bored out 8 hp. They also have a 9.9 which you mentioned b4 Grant, which is the 15 with a smaller carb.

Jo,

the boat does have a brand, but the model number or whatever I'm unsure of. I'm told 8 hp is about right for it, so with all what everyone has replied, and taking into consideration liability, 9.8 looks good.

So, any last opinions on the 9.8 hp Tohatsu?? Cost price $2025. I know you recommend them Grant.

cheers

Ken

Iain,

thanks for that nostalgic appraisal. It has been a long one, deciding what to do, but after reading your post and the others, they all seem to make sence and have helped me alot, much appreciated everyone. Looks like I could have a 9.8 Tohatsu soon.

cheers

went to talk to the guys at Enterprise again today, they must be getting sick of me by now. specials on at the moment with the nice, sleek looking yamy 15, only $100 more than the Tohatsu 9.8, although considerably heavier. Gav and Fishn, your opinion makes sense, plus the guy at Enterprise reckons that too. has anyone worked out I'm a sh*thouse shopper?? Again, thanks for all the feedback,

cheers