Berkley Gulps

Blood Knot

Just trying to get my mind around Gulps and thought I would throw up this question to get a few informed opinions.

Gulps What are they ?

Are they soft plastics ?

Are they artificial bait ?

Or are they a hybrid ?

Certainly I have found then very effective fish takers, but also would have to say that they seem equally effective even with there tails, legs, feelers, whatever chewed off ie: in a non active or non wriggling / swimming state .

I find that I fish them more as a moving bait than a traditional soft plastic.

They seem to me to be at there most effective when fresh out of the pack (in there most highly scented state) causing me to look upon them as being closer to bait than a soft plastic.

Also wondering how they are viewed by the Bream tournament fraternity. Are they really a lure ? (or an artifical bait ).

John

Edited by Blood Knot

Has anyone made their own version of 'gulps'?

I suppose it would be possible....

Hi John,

Yes they are considered a hybrid soft plstic.

there major ingredient is a type of starch product.

A very strong attractant too any fish is salty starch

products, hence you got Gulp. As for the scents,

Protien enriched worm and pig by products finish the job!

Pretty awsome science behind this stuff mate!

Regards Tones

They have won many a tournament over the last couple of years on the bream and bass circuit abd are not frowned upon at all. they are considered an artificial bait.ie: soft plastic, meaning they can be used in comps giving everyone an open playing field.

As well as gulps there are other forms of bio-degradable plastics which in my opinion work just as well. although these other brands are not as widely used due to different lure patterns and scents as well as not being as widely known as Gulp.

There is no doubting that the scent of a gulp is a major fish atractant. I have put them to te test with fishing partners against standard Sp's and on depending on locality, tide and time i have found them to outfish normal sp's 6 out of 10 times. I guess it depends on what the fish are feeding on at that time

Mitch

They have won many a tournament over the last couple of years on the bream and bass circuit abd are not frowned upon at all. they are considered an artificial bait.ie: soft plastic, meaning they can be used in comps giving everyone an open playing field.

As well as gulps there are other forms of bio-degradable plastics which in my opinion work just as well. although these other brands are not as widely used due to different lure patterns and scents as well as not being as widely known as Gulp.

There is no doubting that the scent of a gulp is a major fish atractant. I have put them to te test with fishing partners against standard Sp's and on depending on locality, tide and time i have found them to outfish normal sp's 6 out of 10 times. I guess it depends on what the fish are feeding on at that time

Mitch

Mitch

Are they any good on the freshwater scene?

Davo

Whether they are a real lure or not depends on how you look at it. Their base production is all natural products but the cooking / production method is very similar to normal SP's. If using natural type or enhancing products was not allowed would they then have to ban items like Stimulate ? just food for thought.

Next time you use your SP's try this. With a needle, pierce a plastic a few times and let it sit in the liquid that the gulps sit in. This may help to give you a better idea if it's more the natural formula or the enhancer - you may be surprised at the result. :1yikes:

Having used both for a long time now, and being involved in the making of them, i prefer the true SP as long as they are tweaked a little to help them along in the flavour dept. All are rigged the same and fished the same so maybe they all have a place next to each other in the same tackile box.

The fun is in the personnal challenge of catching so i guess it depends how much of a challenge you want and how energetic you are feeling. :beersmile: