Size Isn't Everything

outdoordan

We(Stewy and i ) were on the water by about 6, and headed straight for the narrows, for this is were our assult on the resident Bass would begin in earnest. We began throughing poppers and fizzers as the light was low and this looked ooh so good, and second cast i got boofed but the trebles didn't find there mark, though a few casts later in another likely looking haunt they did, and the fisrt bass found its way to the boat. It was a scrawny fish at about 15cms but a bass all the same. We persisted till the surface bite slowed accounting for another little fish and few more hits.

It was time for a change. With Stewy opting for a Betts spin and 2in grub, I grabbed a TN60 in an effort to fish the deeper water and weed bed drop offs. I can remember Stewy saying " I love these lures, I just wish i could get a fish on one..." But Before he could finish his sentence his offering was creamed by a small bass. About 10mins later with Stewy getting a few hits and me getting nothing i was starting to think I love these lures, I just wish i could get a fish on one, and you guessed it i got a hookup aswell. Though the Betts spins were getting alot more intrest than my Jackal so i made the switch, and from this point onward the hits came alot more readily with many more fish getting an up close and personal look at the Polycraft. We were getting good numbers of fish but size was eluding us(Fish that is) :1prop: .

We kept bombarding any likely structure, our spirits kept high by hanging shit on each other and the steady stream of bass comin over the side, When Stewy hooked the first fish of real size from the shade of a semi-submerged boulder. It was soon boated, measured and a few happy snaps taken before releasing her. At nearly 35cms it was a good fish for the area.

After a few more fish each with some quite reasonable and being taunted by a ginger cat that followed us about 100m along the bank, making all sorts of disturbing noises at us, the wind began to pick up and it was decided to pull stumps.

It was another great day on the water, though plauged by little fish we ended up with about 35 fish being landed between us, including 4 from between 25-35cms.

But hey Size Isn't Everything

post-256-1162456852_thumb.jpg

post-256-1162456863_thumb.jpg

post-256-1162456875_thumb.jpg

post-256-1162456887_thumb.jpg

Pics to follow

Cheers

Dan

Hey Guys,

Great fishing. Fish in the 30's are a great size for that area but you need to get past the "micro-bass" to get them so well done.

Stewy, glad you gave the betts spins a go - sounds like they did the trick nicely and great to see the mighty bass out to play in numbers.

Cheers

David.

P.s. and Em was back at school today - all better, 24hr bug.

It followed us for ages :biggrin2: and we were going here puss puss puss :tease: .

Stewy, you worry me! :wacko:

If Donna isn't around you start giving your mating call to a mangy, stray ginger pussy! :tease:

SMACK him Donna! :074: :074: :074:

Cheers,

Grant.

BTW Top report & pics Dan. They are some good bass for the area & who could complain about landing 30-odd bass in a day?

Well done fellas!

Dan

Any tips for chasing bass for the first time. Things like location and boat ramps or somewhere to load a canoe would be great. I was looking to start around the nepean river somewhere but being such a large river i was windering if you could narrow it down for me.

As for lures i have some spinnerbaits, softplastics, and some surface lures which i think should do the trick.

Any tips to point me in the right direction would be awesome.

Thanks

Randall

Dan

Any tips for chasing bass for the first time. Things like location and boat ramps or somewhere to load a canoe would be great. I was looking to start around the nepean river somewhere but being such a large river i was windering if you could narrow it down for me.

As for lures i have some spinnerbaits, softplastics, and some surface lures which i think should do the trick.

Any tips to point me in the right direction would be awesome.

Thanks

Randall

Hey Randall,

If youv'e got a canoe your laughin. Launch at the boat ramp on Tench Ave and head left, you can fish all the structure along the shoreline or paddle a few hundred metres further till you hit 'The narrows', a shallow narrow section you could not mistake. Cast small surface lures at structure in low light conditions, and as the sky lightens start with sub surface lures like small divers, lipless crankbaits and spinners.

Its important to get your lures as close to structure as possible,aim for areas like between boulders and along the shaded area adjacent to these, under rocky overhangs, weedbed edges and under overhanging trees, even if you get hung up in these trees a few times and some %%%%% calls you Tarzan, :1prop: its a small price to pay for your lures being in the strike zone longer and getting the attention of more potential bass, And one more thing, try to work your lures fairly slowly especially with surface lures, Cast them in tight and let them sit for 5 or so seconds, if nothing happens give it a twitch and let it sit again, if still no intrest walk it out a metre or so and repeat.

This should hold you in good stead for your first bass, And for more info look through previous posts and/or write a post in Lure and Fly chat, I'm sure there would be a wealth of knowledge out there

Good Luck

Dan