Port Phillip Bay

spiz

post-1324-1162542993_thumb.jpgpost-1324-1162542993_thumb.jpgG,day raiders,

Don't get to post to many reports but thought that if anybody is planning a trip down south into Melbourne and is keen on catching a decent Snapper ,you better get down there asap as the fishing are biting there heads off at the moment.

I just got back from a two week spell down there as was visiting the inlaws and managed to get a couple of days fishing in between visits to wifes friends and relatives and boy was it worth it :1prop:

I had a couple of land based sessions without to much to talk about as most fish landed were barracouta and banjo sharks. Decided to ask a few questions as far as charters go and gave Paul Worstlings tackle shop a ring and was recomended to a fellow by the name of Matt Cinni who runs Reeltime fishing charters.

This bloke knows his territory!!!

Booked a trip out but the problem was he was busy but he managed to squeaze me in. Session was from 10am till 4pm and i thought those hours are a bit odd but went with it.

Met at the ramp and after a short introduction we were on our way. Anchored up on a tinny reef and the sounder showed some definite arches, no sooner than the baits had hit the water a coulpe of rods buckled over, a couple of nice reddies. things were a little quiet after that although we did get a couple of good runs but didnt get to the rod quick enough and lost fish. Time came up and only had a coulpe of fish up to 2kg nothing to really brag about. Matt said that even he was dissapointed at that effort as he had been getting fish at least 4kg so he said that he would take me out again free of charge just pitch in for fuel and bait so we can land a better red. I said sweet and the date was set.

Ariving at the ramp for the next session i find tht my host is not there and i thougt here we go just my luck. Mind you was meant to meet at 5am but being keen and all i was there from 4am (couldn't sleep from anticipation). 6am comes and still no show and i thought he must have got his times mixed up due to dailight savings. I thought cant wait anymore so i give him a call and he picks up the phone and i hear oh SH_T!!!!! he is full on appologetic and tells me he will be there in ten. True to his word he arrives and after a quick launch we are off as he is still wiping the sleep out of his eyes. We have a few laughs and a good dose of coffee for him and we anchor up at spot x and start to fish.

What happened next was just unbelievable, we had around six baits out and they just about all got smacked. There was rods buckling everywhere. We landed three of the fish and 2 were at least 4kg each. Practically every bait that hit the water in a 30min session got hit. Gear used after we had our bag of 3fish over 50cm Matt brought the light gear out and we had the time of our lives from those big bumping runs of snapper of fish averaging 4-6kg. After a few more catch and release fish it was time to up anchor and rescue a mate of his wich had boken down but i was not complaining as that 1 hour experience was one to remember. So if you like your Snapper fishing and are looking for a fish over the 5kg size visit Port Phillip Bay even if you are not a fan of Melbourne.

Here are some picks that i managed to take, sorry but no action shots of rods buckling over as i had orther priorities!!! :1fishing1:

Edited by spiz

Photos cont...

Photos cont...

Photos cont....

Photos cont

Photos

Nice report mate,and how many rods did u have out at once,u must get

tangled up a bit when u get a fish on.

Good Snapper too.

:beersmile: penguin

G,day Penguin,

You would think it would be the case but suprisingly we didnt get as many as i thought we would. It did get a little out of hand when you get three or more rods go off together. It was just a matter of moving the rods around to suit. The other thing going for Port Phillip Bay is that there is not much current to deal with unlike us here in nsw.

post-1324-1162543438_thumb.jpg

post-1324-1162543601_thumb.jpg

post-1324-1162543746_thumb.jpg

post-1324-1162543861_thumb.jpg

post-1324-1162543986_thumb.jpg

well done mate, nice fish i always listen to high tide every weekend and 2 weeks ago they were saying how the reds were firing down there, they say they were catching 9kg fish and better not uncommon and getting 20+ fish a session.......ooohhh it makes you want to move down there ......

That's a top report & bloody good pics as well!

How good was your guide! :thumbup:

He took you out & caught you fish but wasn't happy with the result so took you out for nicks! Now THAT"S SERVICE!

I'll be in Melbourne soon & will be booking a charter with him after reading your report.

Great fish mate & well done on some awesome Snapper. :yahoo:

Cheers,

Grant.

That's a top report & bloody good pics as well!

How good was your guide! :thumbup:

He took you out & caught you fish but wasn't happy with the result so took you out for nicks! Now THAT"S SERVICE!

I'll be in Melbourne soon & will be booking a charter with him after reading your report.

Great fish mate & well done on some awesome Snapper. :yahoo:

Cheers,

Grant.

G,day Grant,

Mate he definetely is worth the money and i would recommend him any time. If there are fish around he will find them. The season is going off there at the moment so don't leave it to late.

Whilst down there i also bumped into Alister Mcglashan as was down to do some under water filming on Snapper which should be interesting on his opfkfpo dvd series. He was quite keen to get stuck into some good fish as there was plenty around. Lee Reyner had also scored a couple of good fish on soft plastics of around 5kg on the same day as he is a goodmate of Matt from Reel time. If you need Matt"s number let me know.

cheers,

Jim.