Narrabeen Lake 6/11/06

mrmoshe

As I was going stir crazy at home with all the rain, I decided to hell with it!.

In between rain showers, I hit my favorite spot at Narrabeen Lake. I knew I'd probably get wet

but I'd rather be wet than go nuts shut inside.

I tried first down where they have just finished dredging the sand on the Eastern side of the Ocean St. bridge,

just to see if anything had improved with all the sand removed. Got a big donut here, except wet when the heavens opened up for a brief period.

I then moved to my favourite spot where I knew flatties lurked, especially after rain.

Three casts and WHAMMO!! Line starts peeling off my Stradic like there's no tomorrow.

I first thought it must be another stingray as i hooked one a couple of weeks ago in the same spot.

It took off across the lake and felt just like a ray with powerful bursts, then stop, another big run, then stop.

I managed to retrieve line between big runs and thought I'd cut my line as soon as I saw it was a ray.

It did one more strong run taking line, but by this stage, about 7 minutes into the fight, it didn't have the same power as before.

But to my amazement, into view comes a terrific flattie. It was a PB for me and measured 65cm.

I carefully laid her out on the grass and luckily, I remembered my camera today.

A quick pic and I laid her back in the shallows. She laid there for at least 5 minutes and I thought perhaps the fight had taken more out of her than I thought. I was afraid she was beyond help at this stage.

I rolled up my jeans and got beside her and carefully steered her into deeper water where she did one mighty kick or her tail and off she swam. I was so glad to see her on her way.

Some bystanders by this stage had gathered and wondered why I was releasing such a large fish. I explained that she would have been a breeder and they all thought it was best she was freed.

After that, I managed 5 bream, most going about 25cm, one flounder 22cm and one snapper about 22cm (all released too)

It was a great session, even though I did get wet and beat the hell out of being indoors watching the rain.post-1685-1162808539_thumb.jpg post-1685-1162808802_thumb.jpgpost-1685-1162808865_thumb.jpg

Edited by MallacootaPete

Guest johblow

Oh yeah! I wish i had acted upon urges to do something similar in the rain!! I ended up feeling like i had a crap weekend... that will learn me!!!

Going to go down to that same spot later this arvo to see if that old girl flattie's

great grandfather is around. (After the Cup is run of course)

Fishing in the lake lately has sure fired up.

Cheers,

Pete

No, the flattie was caught on half a pilchard.The others were all on whitebait.

I've tried lures and SP's there but they seem to go for fresh bait better.

Only managed the old girl's smaller (34cm) daughter today..also released.

Plus about 20+ small bream which were bloody everywhere today.

My secret spot seems to fire better when it's very overcast or raining. Today

was just too sunny.

My neighbour was also down there in his kayak towing a squidgie. He managed an

almost identical flattie to my one yesterday (65cm), futher around the lake.

Just can't wait until they open the entrance again when they finish the sand dredging.

Should be only 2-3 weeks from now.

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Nice job, mate! :thumbup: 65cm is a beautiful fish - well done on the PB. I know what you mean about stingrays - I often encountered them when using larger live baits in Tuggerah Lake - gave me a bit of an incentive to try other methods for flatties :biggrin2: . I also know how powerful a good flattie can be in shallow water - most of the ones I've been hooking lately have been from <0.5-1m deep. When I release the bigger specimens in this shallow water (and the small ones too) - even after I swim them for a while, they settle on the bottom to recuperate. I'll walk past 15 minutes later and they'll be gone - either camouflaged or off to maraud some more bait schools. Either is a good sign - the recovery period is just what flatties do... Good choice in releasing her, mate - I practice and encourage that method... :biggrin2:

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Great fish mate and well done on sending her back!

If the fish are not seeming too active when you release them, try dragging them through the water fairly quickly a few times untill they start to kick......... gets the water moving over their gills and accelerates their recovery from the fight.

You will know when they have their "breath" back as they will tell you that they are no longer happy with your assistance!

Congrats on the PB mate!!!

If the fish are not seeming too active when you release them, try dragging them through the water fairly quickly a few times untill they start to kick......... gets the water moving over their gills and accelerates their recovery from the fight.

You will know when they have their "breath" back as they will tell you that they are no longer happy with your assistance!

:dito: - they'll give you a good bite! :biggrin2:

Flattieman.