Lauching My Boat By Myself...help!

kilp

HI fellas

I have a seajay 4.75 m tinny, and have always lauched on my own. However there are times when my mates cannot come along for the trip, so I want to know how hard it would be to launch on my own???

To get the boat in the water I believe it will be no worries, however, to get the boat on the trailer might be a bit of a worry, all it take is a small breeze or a bit of a current and it is hard to position the boat.

Does anyone have any pointers?

I want to try the harbour, I am coming in from the hills district. does anyone know of any ramps leading into the harbour that has sand?

anyone advide will be much appreciated

Regards

Kilp

it all depends on the setup. You can pick up a device called 'retriever-mate' for around $300 which self centres your boat from any angle. I have noticed even with my 5metre fibreglass half cabin that the trailer doesn't need to be deep in the water. Aslong as the skids are under water its fine to pull in. The deeper you go, the harder it will be to put the bow of the boat onto the back roller.

a technique you might consider is if you park the trailer VERY shallow, hook the boat up to the trailer just winching it on then reversing the car more into the water then winching it all the way up.

what kind of setup on your trailer do you have?

Another option you might consider, is asking somebody for 5 minutes of their time to help you get the boat on the trailer, especially if its a busy ramp, windy or fast tide.

hey mate,

ive got a crusie craft hustler 5.7m long. its got the eletric winch on it which makes it easier but dont ever turn off ur car when you are using the winch as they drain heaps of power and ive got guide rollers on the back of my trailer and they are worth there money as you dont have to worry much as long as you dont reverse to deep in the water.

If you think you are going have trouble attach a rope to the to a rear kleet on the side the wind is hitting with this you can pull the back of your boat around while still working from the winch.

I handled a 4.5 Quinnie Lazabout solo this way for years.

Cheers

Kingpig

Hi,

I have a quintrex freedomsport (480) and often launch and retreive by myself, the first couple of times you do it; it does get hairy - try going to a ramp during non peak times and practice.

Before long you will have no trouble.

This is the way i do it:

1. beach the boat near the ramp - or if no beach tie off to the jetty

2. fetch your trailer and prepare the winch cable

3a. (beach) i have a 10 metre rope tied to the bow - i push the boat out hang on to the rope and then gently retreive while standing on the trailer, once the boat has meet the tralier i apply a little presure on the rope til the boat finds centre - attach the winch cable - and wrind up - only let go of the bow rope when the winch cable has taken up the presure

3b. (no beach) slowly drive the boat from the jetty to the ramp next to your trailer, when you are close to bottoming out on the ramp - turn off and lift your motor and gently lower your self over to bow to the ramp, grab the bow rope and do same as in point 3a

remember to practice and you will soon will have enough expirence to practice driving on and off.

If ur coming from the Hills District, and want to fish the Parra, a ramp you could use is Bayview (at the end of Burwood Road). This ramp has plenty of beach right next to the ramp so you could just beach it and go get ur car no sweat.

On weekdays its hardly ever busy(partially due to the fact that u have pay for parking :wacko: ).

Matt

When I retrieve my boat and there is some wind that can swing the stern around, the tip I was given and use is as follows

- Tie a rope to stern bollard on the side the wind is blowing and run the rope up to the bow.

- Walk the boat around to your trailer from the bow holding the rope in your hand to keep tension on the stern to stop the stern from swinging around.

- Rest the bow on the trailer and still holding the rope walk to your winch and winch up with one hand while pulling on the rope to keep tension on the stern so it does not swing around.

- once the boat is half way up the trailer it should not be necessary to hold on any longer and the rollers will hold the boat in position.

I use this method when by myself and it works fine for an old bloke like me.

At 4.75m your boat should be a breeze to retrieve on your own. I have a fiberglass boat at 5.5m and I am so muscle man.

Hope this helps and give you some comfort to still enjoy a day out if need be on your own.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Martin

Kilp, the rope on the stern trick works well, remember to keep tension until the boat is out of the water enough for the trailer to hold it. The beauty of the tinny is that you don't have to be as precious with it as fibreglass. I regularly launch my 4.5m tinnie on my own and find that practice is best. Don't be shy to ask someone at the ramp to help if needed. Generally they will comply especially if they are waiting for you to load up so they can go home themselves.

Flea

Edited by flea

Kilp - I nearly allways launch and retrieve my 4.75 Tinnie solo at Gladesville ramp (I also live in the Hills) its an easy 20 min drive from Baulko. There is some sand there at low tide but may be a few rocks in it as well.

Landing technique wise I will come in slow to the ramp (bit of reverse helps if you are coming in a bit hot) cut the motor when about 30 / 40 feet out, raise it up a bit and allow the momentum of the hull to carry you to the ramp. Climb out on the bow and drop youself over before it comes up hard on the ramp and slow it down (will admit theres an element of timing here) but it comes easy with practice.

Once you have got it stopped lift the bow as high as you can and pull the boat forward at the same time so it is well beached on the cement ramp (I tie mine off to one of the fence bollards at the side of the ramp) and get your trailer.

The rest has been described very well by other Raiders (especially the stern rope thing if windy). Just one tip I wear a pair of those solid rubber soled neoprene sea boots when performing this landing, as I have knackered heaps of thongs on previous landings and wont barefoot in case I land on something sharp.

Also it may as well to roll up your duds take your wallet or mobile out of your pockets in case you plunge in too prematurely (a bit deep) Ha!ha!

Goodluck.

John

Kilp, just teach yourself to drive your boat on and off the trailer :thumbup:

There is no future in getting wet, especially in winter. I've been driving my 18 footer on and off for the past 15 years. Its a snack, solo or not. My brother drives his new 4.5m boat on the trailer too. Once mastered, you won't look back :thumbup:

Regards

Red

Kilp, just teach yourself to drive your boat on and off the trailer :thumbup:

There is no future in getting wet, especially in winter. I've been driving my 18 footer on and off for the past 15 years. Its a snack, solo or not. My brother drives his new 4.5m boat on the trailer too. Once mastered, you won't look back :thumbup:

Regards

Red

Red,

Whats the best way to learn this??

Sorry if its a silly question

Kilp, I have a Seajay 455 tiller steer and live at Ryde ,launch at Tunks Park. I have a Retriever Mate on my trailer and have learnt to drive it onto the trailer when retrieving - it's a piece of cake when you leran how. If you like, I'm more than happy to meet you at a ramp one day with both our boats and I can show you how it's done. You dead set will have it mastered in an hour, trust me. But the secret is the retrievermate. They are worth their weight in gold for about $300. I never get my feet wet any more which is great in winter. You should see the look on some peoples faces when I drive the tiller steer up onto the trailer - it's classic. PM me for my number and we'll have a yarn about times /dates etc.

Russ

Tuffy and Searabbitt have summed it up well. If you want to observe, best head down to a busy ramp on a sunday and watch people do it. It's an excercise made easier with a proper drive on trailer.

Having to take socks and shoes off and rolling up your tracky dacks will be a thing of the past when you drum up enough confidence to take the plunge.

Cheers

Red

Kilp

If you want to learn the drive in, find your sandy ramp an a quiet day and take a stick with you. Put the stick in the sand and repeatedly try to beach the boat gently directly in line with the stick. Keep backing off, do little circuits in both directions and get used to how wind and current affect your approach. When your confident you can get to the stick straight on with no mucking around you can practice with the trailer.

Slowly does it and when practising with the stick try a few goes from the boat in a really bad position ie. too close side on etc....it will happen so you'll get an idea of how your boat handles at low speed.

Cheers

Chris

• 3 months later...

Mate, leave a trailer length of cable hanging and clip it somewhere near the back tire. Then get the boat and attach the cable to the boat and place it on the last roller. Then simply hold the cable tight against the last roller and follow the cable right up to the winch keeping pressure on the cable. Then pull in!

Mate i do it all the time, sometimes quicker than having two people fiddle with it..

If theres alot of wind, just ask the nearest bloke to give you a hand, people usually offer anyways.

DAN

Edited by Luringbream