Growth On Flathead

Jethro

Question

Hi all

I caught a flathead a while ago up in Lake Macquarie. When I cleaned it, it had smome small yellow growths around its gills... see photo..

post-44-1162965208_thumb.jpg

I havent noticed it any flathead I have caught in the past.

Any know what it might be??

I have been speaking with a bloke at the Elizabeth Macarthur Agricultural Institute (EMAI) and he is intersted in doing some testing on the growths... The only problem is with the head being frozen it is not in the best condition for this type of testing....

The idea sample would be live, if that cant be done just fresh and chilled..... not frozen. A fresh sample is much better for a histopathology (what ever that is) :1prop:

If I come across any more I have to drop it off to the local fisheries office and they will express courier it to EMAI for testing...

I will be fishing the lake a bit over the holidays and will be keeping an eye out

Scary stuff, all being solved. I'm glad there's people like that out there who are willing to help out and offer assistance cause they realise it can make a big different for everyone in the long run, and good on ya Jethro for taking some initiative, even if it has ruined your nice flathead catch.