Beachworm Baiting For Jew

Gibbofisho

Hi Guy's,

I've been getting a few beachworms lately fishing for whiting, and was thinking when the tides right, i should throw a whole heap out in search for a jew, first question is, how do people rig beachworms on a hook for a jew?

And secondly, what rig do people usually use?

how do people rig beachworms on a hook for a jew?

And secondly, what rig do people usually use?

Hi Gibbo

Most jewies I have hooked on worms have been when fishing for bream on light gear off the breakwall at Forster! Have only landed 2 soapies - the others have headed off to NZ and busted me off! WHen I go down with heavy gear to specifically target them, I only get rubbish fish! Ne'er mind.

If you catch your own worms, you can use virtually the whole worm (especially the big ones) - hook thru the mouth & slide it up the body about 8 - 12 inches then do a couple of loops of the tail thru the hook. In the water it looks like a long worm starting to curl up!

Some folk put 2 or 3 on, bunching them up like a ball. I've even heard of some folk putting the worms on a treble, bunching them up.

A visitor to Forster a year or so ago, hooked a big jewie near Janey's corner on worm & a whiting hook - and he managed to get it into shore! Took him a while, tho!

Cheers

Roberta

PS check out this raider thread

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...?showtopic=3711

Speaking of worms....a mate of mine from Perth reckons he and his mate

over there used to bottom bash using..of all things...common garden vareity earth worms..!!!

Yeah, the ones you get in the back garden. :074:

He reckons they are excellent bait and they used to catch plenty with them...I said Bull Sh*t..no sea fish would have anything to do with a bloody earth worm.

Has anyone else ever heard of this? Just so I can tell him he's full of it!

If it's true..I have a bait goldmine in my back yard.

Cheers,

Pete

There a two main types of beach worm. The short fat ones and the long slimey ones. This technique works with both but you need two worms with the short fat ones.

Just rig a running sinker to about 900mm of leader and a 2/0 hook. Get your worm and from the head end put the hook in about 20mm below the head. Thread the worm up your hook and cearfully work it over the eye of your hook and up the line.

Continue to thread the worm up your line until it is 200 to 300mm up the line. Then with what is left make a ball on the hook by looping the worm and them putting the hook through if possible leave a tail end of about 50 to 100mm.

Fish this on enough lead to just allow a slight amount of movement. A worm bait anchored to the bottom will catch stingrays quicker that one that moves around a bit.

Cheers

Kingpig

Gibbofisho

Here are some othe option for beach jew baits.

Get a tailor and cut the fish from vent to just behind the head in one straight cut. Rig this on a padanosta rig (sinker at the bottom) on a leader of around 600mm with two snelled hooks. I use 3/0s. Drop it in the end of a gutter where to runs into running to sea. I find the rip end the best.

Rig a live mullet or sand whiting two hook snell again with a decent swivel and a leader of 1 Meter no lead. Do not throw this out just drop the live bait in the wash and let it swim away. Stop letting out line when you think it is out far enough.

Do not write off just plain pilchard baits specially if there are tailor about. They are messy feeder and pilchards tend to breakup when they hit this leaves a good berly trail.

All of these method have caught me jew in the past.

Good luck

Kingpig