Where You Can Eat Fish From

new2fish

hi raiders just after info on where you shouldnt eat fis.

been told not to eat fish from syd harbour and parra river is this correct?

is ther any other areas you shouldnt eat fish from thanks new2fish

Also, Cooks River and Penhryn Estuary (both in Botany Bay) are questionable.

Flattieman.

Eating fish from sydney is getting more and more dicy. SOme species are worse than others. Bream seem to be one of the worst as they live long and feed on the bottom. MOst pelagic fish seem to be OK. Prawns are definitely NO. CHeers KElvin

I dunno wot you are all talking about. I 've been eating fish from the Harbour for years with little or no adverse effect....other than my new third eye which is inconveniently growing just above my second nose, just below my chin, I have no problems whatsoever.

Besides, it's very handy having 6 fingers on each foot, especially when trying to unravel knots in my line.........................??????????

Tuffy( Listen to the voices!!!!!!!)

Penrhyn Estuary in Botany is definetly a no no,

signs up there say dont eat the fish,or even swim here,

I also once caught a top Flatty in the shallows there and

a mate asked if he could have it,he later informed me

its flesh was blue,so he gave it to the neighbours cat

who even rejected it :puke:

:beersmile: penguin

Edited by penguin

A BLUE flattie...what type of toxic/radioactive/poisonous/carcingogenic stuff are they pouring down there? CHeers Kelvin

All of the above I suppose :05:

Remember Orica are just up the road and they are responcible

for the bore water pollution in the Botany area caused by a leaking

storage tank which went undetected for decades.They were fined

and ordered to clean it up,hence all the work going on in the middle of

Foreshore drive,building an underground barrier between the chemicals

and Botany Bay.

Edited by penguin

Just as a starter , in Penrhyn estuary and surrounds you would probably find : Hydrocarbons , chlorofluorocarbons , heavy metals , cyanates , carcenogens of all descriptions , lead , oil and oil by products , sludge , phenols , chlorates , ethylene dichloride , mercury , hexochlorobenzene . Sounds like a pretty lethal cocktail , no?

I must admit I have eaten fish I have caught in Botany Bay ( Not the estuary ) , havent had my dioxin levels checked , but Im still here to tell the tale !!

Ross

Eating fish from sydney is getting more and more dicy. SOme species are worse than others. Bream seem to be one of the worst as they live long and feed on the bottom. MOst pelagic fish seem to be OK. Prawns are definitely NO. CHeers KElvin

What about squid from Sydney harbour? I have seen reports of them having pretty high levels of dioxins, same as that of prawns? I would only eat the squid every now and then from the harbour.

Is the fish/prawns and squid at pittwater any better?

We are all gonna die of something oneday!!! My guess is that Mc donalds has more crap in it than any squid from the harbour. I think I have eaten enough Big macs to be radioactive. I think I glow in the dark!!! All those presevatives in fast food means I'll never rot even in my grave. I'll be a great corpse...being mummified on the cheap.Cheers Kelvin

We are all gonna die of something oneday!!! My guess is that Mc donalds has more crap in it than any squid from the harbour. I think I have eaten enough Big macs to be radioactive. I think I glow in the dark!!! All those presevatives in fast food means I'll never rot even in my grave. I'll be a great corpse...being mummified on the cheap.Cheers Kelvin

:074: Ha ha, does that explain why you catch so many squid Kelvin, I heard that squid are attracted to light and flourescent objects, or can they smell the scent of the Big Mac on your jig !!??

On a serious note, Kelvon is correct, there are a million and one other things to worry about, which will put you six feet under, however there are things you can do to limit your odds...

Read the report The truth about Dioxin It is a brief article on Dioxin, and gives you a bit of an idea about what it is and does. BTW the picture of the Ukranian president was the result of an assasination attempt on his life, ie a massive dose of Dioxin in his food, don't expect that to happen after eating a few squid :biggrin2:

The article talks about bottom feeders - harbour bream and prawns having three times as much dioxin as the recommended levels for consumption, and squid taken "not far from the open ocean" read Balmoral, as having 1.5 times the recommended level. So I guess they are safer to eat then bream and prawns from the harbour ..... but I am sure everything we eat has high levels of chemicals and pollutants. If we worried about it too much we may stress ourselves to death, but a little care and awareness always helps.

Edited by 445F