Kindergaten Kings

namesay

When you are using good baits and downrigging for kings, the tide really doesn't come into the equation. There are lots of people who will disagree but I have not noticed any pattern. I do try to fish the change of a tide if I can as this is when a lot of predators come around but places like Pittwater and Middle harbour and cowan have little or no current so it really doesn't matter.

There are people who don't like discoloured water for kings or squid but I have caught them when the water was dirty brown.

I also find some spots fish better in the mornings and others in the arvo but kings are very mobile and have a high metabolism.. they need to feed fairly regularly so your chances of catching them are good throughout the whole day. THese kings from pitty were caught in the middle of the day with boats going all over the place so good bait and good techniques are more important than tides. Cheers kelvin

Good report kelvin. You manage to pack so much uselful information in.

In answer to your pm I was in the basin that day fishing poddy mullets for flathead for NOTHING./ I went JUST squidding in pitwater on Monday from an inflatable trying top pick up the tricks of the squid trade. I raised a heap but they were beyond small. Like seriously as long as the smallest jig. I was using a green jig which i wouldn't have done if I had read this report!

Edited by barrykrocker

I am pissed today as all I caught were rats and salmon. Lost a couple of muthas in MH. Got busted off....and I use HEAVY artilery.

Catching squid is great fun and you really learn to enjoy it sometimes. A must skill if you want kings consistently. Small darts with long pauses is the go. They normally hit you on the pause. Also have a set line as well. Normally pick up the bigger squid on these. Often you get more squid on the set line!

I 've seen you squidding Barryrocker and you need a bit more work methinks!!! HA HA Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

thanks for the squidding tips, just pissed that the days you get heaps of squid there no kings around and vica versa.

think ill spend more time on squidding, doesnt help when you take people who are new to the game of mr squid.

dont have a downrigger, but tried this contraption called a paravane. seems to work well. Only been tried on yellow tail as bait but stayed alive and deep for hours.

do you have any preference of mooring area in spit?

thanks for the squidding tips, just pissed that the days you get heaps of squid there no kings around and vica versa.

think ill spend more time on squidding, doesnt help when you take people who are new to the game of mr squid.

dont have a downrigger, but tried this contraption called a paravane. seems to work well. Only been tried on yellow tail as bait but stayed alive and deep for hours.

do you have any preference of mooring area in spit?

So true!!!

As for preference ...NONE! Kingies are everywhere and anywhere. Find the bait...that is the key. TOday I was out infront of balmoral catching salmon and there were kings everywhere follwoing the hooked salmon to the boat. ONly rats but still fun. Probably caught about 10 of these fellas today.

The best advice for finding the kings is spot the bait fish on the sounder. This is like a magnet to the kings. You will find a pattern to bait fish congregations but kings move around all the time and get switched on and off within seconds. Just need to have a good bait infront of their noses and they will hit it . Cheers Kelvin

sounds easy man, will have to see you out there, im a teacher and i cant wait for holidays. Those quiet days on the harbour- just me and the fish.

only way ive got kings at spit is anchoring just past the bridge after being out all night under bridge catching squid. then sit wait as the morning rises till kings come past

Mate, your always producing top quality fish, a good catch there and the one before and and the one before that etc, good onya.

cheers james

Thanks James....I can only try....I think I have to take a few prawns out with me next time. Penguin has given me this idea!!! CHeers Kelvin

Thanks James....I can only try....I think I have to take a few prawns out with me next time. Penguin has given me this idea!!! CHeers Kelvin

Dont shoot me if it doesnt work for u 1st attempt,

persevere it will work.

:beersmile: penguin