Tinny Setup For Botany Bay

UOMESX

Hey this is my first time making a new topic, at the moment im just a land fisherman and that does me fine but i have decided to look around for a tinny that i can safely use in botany bay. Was wondering what kind of setup other baybashers have and what kind of tinny setup they would recommend. Looking at spending about 3gs for a second hand boat.

G`day Fellas ,

Umo , A 12 foot Tinnie will suffice , but take a tip from me , make sure its a deep Vee.

Last thing you want is to spend a day on the Bay with your Knees jammed up under Your chin.

9 HP will get you along just nice , or if unlicenced you will be restricted to a 4HP.

I`m sure the Bayites on here will elaborate further on this matter , we have a millun of em on here .

Mick

G`day Fellas ,

Umo , A 12 foot Tinnie will suffice , but take a tip from me , make sure its a deep Vee.

Last thing you want is to spend a day on the Bay with your Knees jammed up under Your chin.

9 HP will get you along just nice , or if unlicenced you will be restricted to a 4HP.

I`m sure the Bayites on here will elaborate further on this matter , we have a millun of em on here .

Mick

Hey, thanks for the post but was wonderin if you had any particular brands that you would recommend or even models that you have heard about that are good.

:thumbup:

I run a 12 ft with a thumping big 9.9 hp all around botany bay.

The biggest problem is space.

Customising the boat is the answer. I have a hinged door up front to keep the crap enclosed the middle seat has got the top cut off, the foam pulled out and then a lid mounted on it. This gives me enough room to keep a battery and store tackle etc. I hope I never have to find out if there is still enough boyancy if it ever goes over. I'll post apic when I get round to it.

If you are buying a second hand tinny check the transom for cracks in the welds. Its not hard to fix but it is easier to buy one without the broken welds. It doesnt take much to give it a decent coat of paint to make it look decent.

Dave

Ye ok ill see if i can get down to one tomorrow to check it out. Im only 15yr old and i love fishing. I like to use the sps which i recently got hooked on and have been pulling in a lot of flatties with them wil have to start posting pics..... 3000 is bout the maximum i can spend i would love to find a boat cheaper than that so i can chuck in a live bait tank and you know the neccesary features for any fishing boat. I used to own a 5.6 quinnie legend and it was crazy but had to sell because it was a bit too big for us. (regretting the sale) But ye now skool hols are comin up and with the help from the parents hoping to be out on the water.... :1fishing1::1prop:

I think what Matt was referring to was the necessity to have a licence for a motor larger than 4 HP. This is incorrect , you only require a licence if you are travelling at over 10 knots.

General Licence

A licence for people aged 16 years and over to drive any vessel, except a PWC , at 10 knots or more.

You could be in charge of a vessel with twin 250 HP engines , as long as you do not exceed 10 Knots , you do not require a licence.

Ross

Edited by Flightmanager

Ross,

That is correct.

I was pulled randomly by water police while I was giving my mate some water time behind the wheel before he bought his boat we were doing under 10knts. I was licenced he was not, Police were a little confused on the issue at first but made a call and moved on.

Cheers.

Robbie.

G`day Fellas ,

So how does one know , when they are exceeding 10 knotts ?.

Do they have speedos in todays boats ? .

If the WP say you were doing 12/15 Knotts , are they Using Speed Guns , if not , how do they know If you are exceeding the Limit ?.

How does one argue the point , or do the WP win every time.

Mick

With regards to doing 10knots for a licence. Is that based on movement over water or movement through the water with the use of the vessels speedo?? Orrr, is it based on what someone believe to be 10knots?

We all know that with speedos in vessels, the direction and current of the water can make an impact on the speedo as compared to the 'speed over land' that is given to the GPS measurements. ..

I'm curious to know what the 'rules' say in regards to this. I believe it should be a gps reading, not a speedo reading from a vessels transom mount sensor...This is just my input..

Cheers,

Pete.

Didn't mean to be critical Mick but the wrong info could have cost that dude money :1badmood: .Good info is what this site is for so we all should double check on stuff like that before we post it. :05: Thanks for the clarification too Chris and Ross,you guys are on the money with your info. :thumbup:

OK, I'm buggered if I can see where Mick gave out wrong info which could have cost that dude money? :(

With regards to doing 10knots for a licence. Is that based on movement over water or movement through the water with the use of the vessels speedo?? Orrr, is it based on what someone believe to be 10knots?

We all know that with speedos in vessels, the direction and current of the water can make an impact on the speedo as compared to the 'speed over land' that is given to the GPS measurements. ..

I'm curious to know what the 'rules' say in regards to this. I believe it should be a gps reading, not a speedo reading from a vessels transom mount sensor...This is just my input..

Cheers,

Pete.

Pete,

You are not going to get pinched if you are doing the right thing, water police and MSB are very lenient, with cautions issued more so than fines. They understand that for most people boating is an expensive hobby and down time.

As for clocking people, as has been said if you are on the plane (in most rec craft) it is generally accepted that you are at or above 10 Knts.

I doubt that there will ever be any great legal debates about speeding on the water as common sense and a basic understanding of some very simple rules is what the system is based on.

Cheers.

Robbie.

Yeah guys MSB seem reasonable generally. I will let you know as got pinged coming into a 4 knot zone at Killarney point a couple of weeks ago. I was doing 8 - 10 knots. He spoke to me at length and gave me an opportunity to explain myself. He checked my license and all safety gear etc. Told me he would get back to me via snail mail with a caution or fine. He would think about it. I was speeding so if i get a fine i will cop it sweet.

On the tinnie i bought a 3.75m quintrex Dart in 1999 with a 20hp yammie. It is deep V with a flat floor. I didnt get the middle bench seat and had them put in full side rails and paint white. I put in swivel seats and a couple of rod holders. I went basic on the trailer. Best investment i ever made. The 20 hp really moves along. I use it in Middle and Sydney Harbour. Handles a bit of swell and loves bay or estuary conditions. Cant go past a quinnie for a tinnie. If you want PM me and i will send ya a pic. Cheers