Fiji

Wastin Time

Hi all,

Well i am well & truly over the trip to Fiji a few weeks back.

I got my way & went on a charter out of the Fijian Shangri-La Resort.

We met down at the wharft a bit before 6 & proceeded to head out in what looked like some ugly weather, but after re-assurance from # 1 deckie we would be fine & it would get up to about 15knt winds - woohoo went the call from yours truly. But it was uglier but no berley was given up - even by the female on board.

Anyway after 2 of our 4 hr trip.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz we FINALLY got on, the only decent fish of the trip was caught by lone females husband - Dollie around 90cm i think. After that we went to the tuna 0r goto fish i reckon (cause if nothing else is on these'll do), any pics tell the story.

Overall i was a bit disappointed with the $$$$ & only a 4 hr fish for bugger all i reckon. But at least i got out & i reckon i may have cured the sea sickness, as it was lumpy!!!

post-1909-1163974298_thumb.jpg

post-1909-1163974255_thumb.jpg

post-1909-1163974344_thumb.jpg

post-1909-1163974381_thumb.jpg

That can be the problem with charter fishing in Fiji as it’s the luck of the draw. I find that if it’s a half day charter they are not as serious and will drag lures around generally you will get one or two dolphin fish. They consider a 4 hr as an easy charter and they do not need to work to hard for the money.

For the bigger fish you need to scout around and speak to the skippers letting them know what your expectation. Let them know you are not some novice who just wants to just go for a fish. You want to see their tackle, know what line classes they fish, what lures they carry and what has been successful, will they also be swimming baits and in what situations, what is there general game plan for a day. Then decide who you think has the experience, and will come up with the goods over a dedicated day.

A little bonus of say $A100 for a tagged or boated Marlin may also raise their enthusiasm

Still for a 4 hr trip you came back with an almost typical catch, add another dolphin fish and some Wahoo and your there.

Hope when you do it again it rains fish for you.

Cheers

Sorry to hear your trip was a bit disappointing. This is yet another story on the same theme I am hearing by returning fishos. It seems that it happens a lot on the south coast of the main island where most of the charters are based.

I think it might be better for raiders intending on visiting Fiji to speak to people like myself and BHL who are from there and regularly go back to fish for advice BEFORE THEY BOOK THEIR HOLIDAY. I always go to Wananavu beach resort on the north west side of the island. This is a beautifull resort with very decent pricing compared to the hotels on the south coast and has their own vessels guides who are crazy about fishing and they dont charge much for a 4hr trip. Thats one of the reasons why I stick to the same boat and guide every year. I was lucky enough to find a mob who really are passionate about their fishing and they dont charge 'tourist' rates. I have found out that that particular boat has now been bought by my cousins father-inlaws mate and I have an open invite to use it any time I want as long as I provide the fuel

bad time of the year to fish fiji mate .befor you go next time get in contact with me. fiji is just like anyware if you go at the wrong time you dont get much .the boys on fleet lady are not bad guys i know them well just a tough call this time of the year .saying that the boys out of mango bay fish hard .when i was with them 3months ago we were getting heeps of good wahoo between 36-42kg.SO BEFOR YOU GO GIVE AN EMAIL I WILL PUT U ON THE RIGHT BOAT I TRAINED HALF THE DECKYS IN FIJI A FEW YEARS BACK

bad time of the year to fish fiji mate .befor you go next time get in contact with me. fiji is just like anyware if you go at the wrong time you dont get much .the boys on fleet lady are not bad guys i know them well just a tough call this time of the year .saying that the boys out of mango bay fish hard .when i was with them 3months ago we were getting heeps of good wahoo between 36-42kg.SO BEFOR YOU GO GIVE AN EMAIL I WILL PUT U ON THE RIGHT BOAT I TRAINED HALF THE DECKYS IN FIJI A FEW YEARS BACK

There you go guys. Lots of info to be shared within the raider community, it will only be of any good if you check for advise before you make your bookings

I hear everything your saying boys!!

I guess i just expected more, but like i said - at least i still got out & the :wife: was happy.

It was more a conveinence thing, i was there, they were there - so better get myself on the boat.

Still it was better than being at work

Sorry to hear about your Fiji trip. I can relate. I paid $400 for six hours dragging lures around the north east tip of Zanzibar back in July. One hit all day. Big Current running. Water looked amazingly crisp. It was a painful day of real excitement expectation and dissapointment. But hell if I had not gone out I would have been wishin i had. Spent a fair bit of time just fantasizing about having my own boat in those waters instead of being a passenger on a resorts boat.. Still, if i ever get another chance and could afford it again id go again.

G'day, I am going over to Fiji in March. How much did the day cost and how many people were needed? I am not sure of what the best time for fishing is over there, but do you think that it is worth it?

Cheers

Deano35

yeah march is ok but if u can leave it till later in the year say july aug the fishing is better (water is cooler) im going at xmas to kadavu to help the crew of the boat BITE ME to case blue marlin but if the water is hot 30c+ i dont expect much maybe a few precooked waloo (spanish macks) where in fiji are you going ?

Gday All,

You have provided some interesting info as always!

Im heading over to Fiji in mid January for a 12 day Family holiday :thumbup:

As it's my Birthday while we are over there the :wife: has sanctioned me to go on a charter.

im staying at the Navity Resort on the south of the main island.

Does anyone have some options for me to inquire about?

Was thinking of maybe sport fishing some local reefs for GT's etc?

any advice would be great.

Thanks all

Dave

Dave,

Since you are going to be at the Naviti, if you want to go on a more professional (and probably more successful) charter than resorts often provide the ones I would recommend are at Mango Bay and Pacific Harbour.

Mango Bay is closer and featured in August 2006 fishing world, and though I have a standing invite to get out there I haven't quite made it yet. However, all reports I have heard very very good about popping for GTs etc. I am planning to get there sometime next year.

Alternatively, you could go down to Pacific Harbour to Xtasea Charters. It is a longer drive up the road towards Suva. Their new 40ft white cap Wai Tadra placed 2nd in the Pac Harbour International Tournament earlier this year and they are in the spring 2006 issue of sport fishing marine and trailer boats.

To be truthful, there is a little personal interest as my uncle owns one of the smaller boats that is available for charter under Xtasea, Yatu, a marlin broadbill cat. They are not necessarily better than Mango Bay as I just know more about them.

Other than that, enjoy your trip and PM me if you need more info.

Brendan

Edited by coollamon

G'day, I am going over to Fiji in March. How much did the day cost and how many people were needed? I am not sure of what the best time for fishing is over there, but do you think that it is worth it?

Cheers

Deano35

G'day, I am staying at Denarau Island at the SHeraton. THe marina is only five minutes away. It is the end of March that I am going, unfortunately I can't go later in the year.

Deano

G'day, I am staying at Denarau Island at the SHeraton. THe marina is only five minutes away. It is the end of March that I am going, unfortunately I can't go later in the year.

Deano

you will pay top doller there if you and the fishing isnt great out of there . if you travel up the coast a bit the mango bay boys are the go tell them glenn sent u and say hi to brett ;johnny,and freddy for me .these boys fish hard if you can go for a full day thay will take you to vartolaylay or cau cau lekaleka (hot spots for everting )

Gday All,

You have provided some interesting info as always!

Im heading over to Fiji in mid January for a 12 day Family holiday :thumbup:

As it's my Birthday while we are over there the :wife: has sanctioned me to go on a charter.

im staying at the Navity Resort on the south of the main island.

Does anyone have some options for me to inquire about?

Was thinking of maybe sport fishing some local reefs for GT's etc?

any advice would be great.

Thanks all

Dave

ring the mango bay boys thay are only about half an hour up the road from u and go the full day it takes about an hour running to get to the real fishing grounds (cau cau leka leka or vautolealea) im going over there from the 26dec to the 6th of jan i will try and get a fishing report in when i get back befor you go.I will probably see the mango bay boys before i leave .shame if you got there earlyer i may have been your decky for the day i (i give the mango bay boys extra traing nearly every time i go over) tell them glenn sent u and thay will try extra hard