What To Do When You Drop Your Gear In The Water ....

ophet

Hi guys, looking for a tip on what to do ... somehow (don't ask, it was a nightmare) my new Tyrnos 30 fell into the water, and I did not get it out of the water for about 15 minutes. So the baby is totally salt water sodden. I have sprayed it very well with fresh water and wiped it clean.

Any suggestions on what else I should to to make sure it does not rust etc?

Bear in mind that I have never opened up a reel before, happy to do this, but if there are too many parts I am afraid I may not be able to put her back to the exact same way.

Should I service it, and how much?

Cheers.

Service it - you gotta service it.

15 minutes is long enough for salt water to have penetrated every single part of the reel - it doesn't matter any more whether you spray, oil or dry it - it will still have salt throughout its inner workings.

If it were me I'd take it apart and try to clean it myself, but then again I'm notorious for breaking and/or losing parts when I do this. Failing this then back to the local tackle shop ASAP. It won't take long for the salt to corrode the bearings.

The good news is that there's nothing in a reel that can't be easily replaced so it should be back in working order before you know it.

Dunno how much a service costs so can't really help you there.

Mate take it straight back to a tackle shop, will probably cost you about $25 to get it serviced.

It definately needs to be pulled apart, As Mondo mentioned every working part inside will have had salt water on it and it needs to be removed.

Mate take it straight back to a tackle shop, will probably cost you about $25 to get it serviced.

It definately needs to be pulled apart, As Mondo mentioned every working part inside will have had salt water on it and it needs to be removed.

Who am I to argue with the experts, will take it into the shop for a service tomorrow, thanks guys.

How did it end up in the drink? Cheers Kelvin

Well, if you really want to know .... I blame this on you Kelvin !!!!

I was fishing on my own, and had a hit (my only for the day .... might put together a fishing report, but long, frustrating and exhausting day of trying different things - inside and outside the harbour) from a King. After a couple of minutes fighting (it was a beast, I had problems controlling it with heavy gear), making sure I did not hit other boats, I forgot to bring up the bomb .... Well, the baby snapped as I brought the tangled mono up from the water, just to tease me some more. Good luck to the King, it fought well and deserved to fight again.

Then I remember reading Kelvins report, and thought I would tighten the drag and drive her out of the moarings before I fight her (and try to remember the bomb). Well, I took a turn a little too tight and thought the bomb had cleared the anchor rope of a boat, but forgot about the trailing hook. I hear a noise and look back to see my Tyrnos Rod and Reel leap into the water !!! for a split second I think about jumping after it ala Two Dans DVD, but not a good idea when you are the only one one in the boat, and the rod and reel would have sunk straight away cause of the weight.

So my really bad day of fishing has gotten worse..

Composing myself, I throw some lines into the water to see if I could snag the rod or line, then try a few heavy chromes with the treble. Getting desperate, I think of using the reef anchor, retrieving it in the first drop , to my delight I see the yakka snagged at the prongs and lift the rod up. I release the Yakka :thumbup:

Although no fish was boated, it could have been worse.

So maybe I should not tighten my drag too much next time, or not use the rod holder on the downrigger. Maybe I just make sure I clear the anchor ropes next time :biggrin2:

Great story, shame about the lost fish.

Mate we all have simalar storys about when we first started downrigging

I have never used the rod holder on the rigger, i have mount holders on the boat for my rigger

Its always hard downrigging when your alone but the main thing is you got the rod back and trust me more big kings will follow, just a matter of time.

Where were you by the way?????

Great story, shame about the lost fish.

Mate we all have simalar storys about when we first started downrigging

I have never used the rod holder on the rigger, i have mount holders on the boat for my rigger

Its always hard downrigging when your alone but the main thing is you got the rod back and trust me more big kings will follow, just a matter of time.

Where were you by the way?????

Rod fell in just around the corner from the Spit, Western side.

I saw a few boats, but my eyesight is ordinary, so sorry if I could not recognise anyone.

You could try using a safety line which stops the accidential loss. A cord with a snap shackle/karabiner will do the job.

The up side is that you did get your gear back, if the drag was to loose you may have just been stripping line off in the hope that the knot fixing line to spool will hold when you get to it.

Not so great if its a game fishing rig with 800 to 1000 meters of line you drop over the side.

Hope the reel comes back as good as new.

Cheers

Rod fell in just around the corner from the Spit, Western side.

I saw a few boats, but my eyesight is ordinary, so sorry if I could not recognise anyone.

You had to have seen me as i went past that area a few times throughout the morning and the fact that my boat now has "Netic" on the side....(which will be coming off very soon).

Main thing is the fact you got your gear back

You had to have seen me as i went past that area a few times throughout the morning and the fact that my boat now has "Netic" on the side....(which will be coming off very soon).

Main thing is the fact you got your gear back

I was there around 2pm, went outside in the morning.

Man....YOu NEVER use the rod holder that is on the downrigger :thumbdown: . No downrigger has strong enough holders for fish such as Kingfish. I am also suspicious of plastic rod holders in boats as well. Always try to use stainless or aluminium holders.

When I am fishing with the kids ALL my outfits are tethered by a line to an anchor point in the boat. I have seen rods slip out of young hands when a kingie dives.

By the way when you drive out of the moorings....you DONT tighten the drag to full but just leave it on strike!!! I have my strike drag set at 10-12 kg so it is pretty heavy but I don't go to sunset. As I bring the fish in I actually loosen the drag as kingies will make a few dives near the boat and this is when the hooks pull. I hate having fish splashing around as this is what loses fish more often than anything else. Just let them run a little and keep their heads under water...you do this by slacking off the drag a bit.

I also have a lenghty bit of nylon that I join to the braid to give some stretch. I use about 3-4 meters of nylon 60-80lb joined to the braid by a bimini twist double on the braid with an albright knot. I also use 2-2.5 meters of fluorocarbon leader for a total of 4-6 meters of stretchy line and this provide the "give" needed to keep the hooks in!!!

When it comes to boat control, I fight the fish from the helm area so I can drive the boat. I don't increase the speed but keep it at the same troll speed. ONce I am clear of everything then I either motor along slowly ...gives me more control of the fish or drift but I ALWAYS cut the motor when the fish is boatside as they have a habit of running around props...especially the hoods.

I bring the fish in nice and easy and get the downrigger up. Takes a bit of practice but easy once you get a hang of it. You only need to bring in the downrigger in the last minute as the fish is not going to run towards you so you have plenty of time.

I think that it is all mental. If you are hurried or anxious about losing the fish things just fall apart. Just assume you WILL land the fish and everything is easy. You DO have plenty of time to get everything. I know it is easier said than done but it will come.CHeers Kelvin P.S. if you don't have anyone to go fishing with give me a yell and we'll see if we can find a few hoods together. :biggrin2:

Edited by namesay

Guest Big-Banana

Gotta use the safety clips, Ive dropped a reel in the water and on the way down it jagged the guide of the rod. Took it for a service and still works great. Good story!