Marine Am/fm Radio

TunOFun

Hi all,

Im looking at installing an AM/FM radio in my boat.

Looking thru some catalogues i saw a Band splitter which will allow me to use my existing VHF antenna.

This is appealing as i dont really want to put another antenna on.

Just wondering if

1. Anyone has them or used them

2. are they any good

3. will it affect the performance of my VHF radio.

Cheers :beersmile:

Hi all,

Im looking at installing an AM/FM radio in my boat.

Looking thru some catalogues i saw a Band splitter which will allow me to use my existing VHF antenna.

This is appealing as i dont really want to put another antenna on.

Just wondering if

1. Anyone has them or used them

2. are they any good

3. will it affect the performance of my VHF radio.

Cheers :beersmile:

Hi Brett,

1. I have a VHF Band Splitter on my boat

2. They are essential, otherwise you will get feedback between the two devices, and poor transmission strength.

3. The function of a band splitter, is to allow the two devices to work together using the same antenna, by splitting the band the AM/FM radio and VHF will work together happily with no detrement to the performance of the VHF (provided you install it correctly)

My VHF and AM/FM share one antenna with a band splitter, the 27meg has its own antenna..

had one - took it out

now use an internal antena like this one - sorry there is no photo

contact the seller has them for sale all the time - works fine and much cheaper than a splitter - all you do is run the cable out under the dash or gunnel

had one - took it out

now use an internal antena like this one - sorry there is no photo

contact the seller has them for sale all the time - works fine and much cheaper than a splitter - all you do is run the cable out under the dash or gunnel

What sort of coverage do you get with this antenna.

Some boats i have been on (and some i have not - sammy)pick up fine out at Browns mountain.

never been out to browns - so i cant tell you.

i had a choose when i installed my stereo like you - splinter or 2nd antena

i went with the splinter - easy to instal - if fact i think you can only install it one way - but i got poor reception - proberly more to do with the vhf antena than the splinter - after this i made enquired on another site - with most saying it was common.

i saw the internal arial on ebay and brought it - i think i only paid $10 plus $5 for postage back in june.

in regards to reception - i fish many the hawksbury where i get good reception on FM - not so good on AM (2gb footy etc)- but this is the same in the car at the ramp - distance from sydney i guess.

The splinter cost $50 from bias from memory - where as the internal only cost me $15

Alternatively for better reception you can always add another antena on the other side (away from vhf) but then the boat starts looking like goal posts not to mention the cost

Ok so what about if i only have a 27meg radio?

I am only "thinking" atm of putting a radio in my boat. So i really havent looked at the set up at all

Wastin Time i have a splitter on my 27 mhz Am at moment with AM/FM radio and works fine , im sure its a different type than the VHF one but definately available.