Botany Bay To Sydney Harbour 25/11/06 Nothing!

Assassin

With all the hype getting around about the kingies firing, i was really looking forward to this fishing session.

The day started at 5.00am and launched from Cooks River boat ramp- we headed straight for the bait grounds (yarra bay) and also on the inside of the last man made wall. A few boats in both locations approx 4-5 nd i reakon the amount of yakkas pulled out could be counted on one hand. :1badmood:

The live bait situation was absolutly dismal to say the least, we pulled anchor and gave up- these days it seems as though the bait can be just as hard to get as the prize itself. :(

With no more mucking around, and 1.5 hrs wasted it was time to throw out 2x 6inch skirts on the outriggers-and 1x pukua lure from shot gun position, in addition also run the downrigger with a imitation plastic squid- setting the downrigger to approx 20feet.

its always tough mixing the above together as the skirts and pukula like to travel at approx 9knots and the downrigger likes to travel at 3-4 knots, but we where happy to find the medium of about 5-6 knots.

We trolled the headlands all the way up to South Head with only one hook up , a large sergent baker- he took a likeing to the imitation squid, all other lures remained untouched for the whole journey.

I was very suprised at the little amount of action- water temps were approx 19- 20 degrees and the water was clean with overcast cloud conditions. ( where are all these kingfish :mad3: )

We then decided to throw out the squid jig around south head....by this time we were very disheartend, so this only lasted for about 10 minutes before we moved into middle harbour- but same story, we burlied heavy and not a single slimy or yakka.

We finished the day trolling north head with outriggers and downriggers, headed home but decided to go a little wide on the return crossed the peak then the plonk- and trolled all the way back to the last man made wall------------- NOT A SINGLE STRIKE,

I will be waiting another 2-3 weeks before i bother again.

Anyone else fish these areas today?, please let me know how you went.

Is there something im doing wrong?, ive had the boat for 5 months so this is my first king fish season, i am open to any suggestions that may help my next attempt.

Thankyou

Assassin (Adam)

Hi Dan,

we were having great sucess with both hardbodies and skirts given the bait situation, for which the usual situation is a dozen lollipop size yakkas which go off like firecrackers for the botany kings. Squid requires alot more time and effort inside botany, which often eats away at crucial trolling time..

We get the best results with the higher speed trolling lures such as Halco laser pro's teamed up with some skirts.

Hi Dan,

we were having great sucess with both hardbodies and skirts given the bait situation, for which the usual situation is a dozen lollipop size yakkas which go off like firecrackers for the botany kings. Squid requires alot more time and effort inside botany, which often eats away at crucial trolling time..

We get the best results with the higher speed trolling lures such as Halco laser pro's teamed up with some skirts.

i think we may have saw you guys just off malabar, can't quite remember if it was a blue hull, but we did see a boat pulling lasers, and then procede to jig straight under the boat once the fish were found. we had a number of kings follow lures off malabar... but no takers :thumbdown:

we were also in a bluefin

Hi Crazedfishedduse and Sammy,

My boat is a 5.6meter sharkcat , named assassin. It is blue upper and white below bump rails - i was using outriggers, Running twin 90 4 stroke mercs.

I am sure we would have crossed paths, It would be great to team up together and fish next time.

I am very new to this site, its great to see so many of you guys fish sydney.

Well done on your catch Chris, Lets keep in touch on this site so we can hook up next outing.

cheers

assassin (adam)

Edited by Assassin

With all the hype getting around about the kingies firing, i was really looking forward to this fishing session.

The day started at 5.00am and launched from Cooks River boat ramp- we headed straight for the bait grounds (yarra bay) and also on the inside of the last man made wall. A few boats in both locations approx 4-5 nd i reakon the amount of yakkas pulled out could be counted on one hand. :1badmood:

The live bait situation was absolutly dismal to say the least, we pulled anchor and gave up- these days it seems as though the bait can be just as hard to get as the prize itself. :(

With no more mucking around, and 1.5 hrs wasted it was time to throw out 2x 6inch skirts on the outriggers-and 1x pukua lure from shot gun position, in addition also run the downrigger with a imitation plastic squid- setting the downrigger to approx 20feet.

its always tough mixing the above together as the skirts and pukula like to travel at approx 9knots and the downrigger likes to travel at 3-4 knots, but we where happy to find the medium of about 5-6 knots.

We trolled the headlands all the way up to South Head with only one hook up , a large sergent baker- he took a likeing to the imitation squid, all other lures remained untouched for the whole journey.

I was very suprised at the little amount of action- water temps were approx 19- 20 degrees and the water was clean with overcast cloud conditions. ( where are all these kingfish :mad3: )

We then decided to throw out the squid jig around south head....by this time we were very disheartend, so this only lasted for about 10 minutes before we moved into middle harbour- but same story, we burlied heavy and not a single slimy or yakka.

We finished the day trolling north head with outriggers and downriggers, headed home but decided to go a little wide on the return crossed the peak then the plonk- and trolled all the way back to the last man made wall------------- NOT A SINGLE STRIKE,

I will be waiting another 2-3 weeks before i bother again.

Anyone else fish these areas today?, please let me know how you went.

Is there something im doing wrong?, ive had the boat for 5 months so this is my first king fish season, i am open to any suggestions that may help my next attempt.

Thankyou

Assassin (Adam)

We were out saturday morning and had a hard time catching squid, only managed 1 in 2 hours....first time in many trips we had so much trouble catching squid...water was way too clear...

Went into middle harbour with the squid and got nailed straight away with 5 minutes....

We caught plenty of yakkas though and some slimies in the main harbour, there were also schools of slimies working just outside the heads which would be jigged up with lasers.