Shimano Trinidad Tn-20 Or Okuma Titus Gold 15s

R_Zee

Hey guys,

im looking for a reel that will cover most of the types of fishing that i do.

I do alot of jigging, bottom bashing deep water (up to 120m), live baiting for big snapper, dollies, kings etc.

I am tossing and turning between these 2 reels.

What do you guys think?

I only have one thing to say...my OKUMA titus gold 10L is used as a door stopper!!! Had it for 1.5 years ...used it 4 times. Have not been happy with anything this reel does.The only good thing was the cover. I now use this cover for my other overhead reels.

I have just got a shimano Torsa.This is one FANTASTIC reel. If you can physically fall in love with a piece of fishing equipment then I have. It costs a fair bit but this reel is EVERYTHING I expect in an overhead. It is a lever drag, but the free spool is almost good enough to cast with and sooooo smooth.

The trinidad series is one heck of a reel.....I'd stick to the shimano. I am sure Netic will vouch for this also, both of us have nothing but tears with OKUMA! CHeers Kelvin

i jig 100m deep reefs frequently and i think a faster reel will save me hardship and will produce better results.

Thank your for you advice guys

I only have one thing to say...my OKUMA titus gold 10L is used as a door stopper!!! Had it for 1.5 years ...used it 4 times. Have not been happy with anything this reel does.The only good thing was the cover. I now use this cover for my other overhead reels.

I have just got a shimano Torsa.This is one FANTASTIC reel. If you can physically fall in love with a piece of fishing equipment then I have. It costs a fair bit but this reel is EVERYTHING I expect in an overhead. It is a lever drag, but the free spool is almost good enough to cast with and sooooo smooth.

The trinidad series is one heck of a reel.....I'd stick to the shimano. I am sure Netic will vouch for this also, both of us have nothing but tears with OKUMA! CHeers Kelvin

i just had a look at the torsa series.

Whats the difference between them and the trinidad?

I dont know much about jigging, but i thought you wanted a reel with a high ratio and fast retrieve to crank the jig up quickly?

thats what i thought aswell but i read that you can loose your rythem ?

i use a reel that is 6.0 gear ratio for jiggng and i have no problems with it

not sure where i read that lol

i jig 100m deep reefs frequently and i think a faster reel will save me hardship and will produce better results.

Thank your for you advice guys

i just had a look at the torsa series.

Whats the difference between them and the trinidad?

Trinidad is a statr drag reel the Torsa a lever drag. The Torsa is designed for braid and is kind of a mini version of a tiagra. The Torsa's drag is up to game fish standard so should last the distance. It can be used to cast as well unlike the tiagras so is a very versatile bit of kit.

The best thing is the lever drag. It can pull some serious amounts of drag pressure. When I am downrigging a lever drag is HUGE advantage in most situations. Just pre set and you know exactly how much pressure you are exerting on the fish. The Torsas are GREAT for jigging. The reel feels so over engineered that there is no strain on it at all. OFten with heavy jigs you'll feel the reel starting to "work"but not so with the torsas. Despite their fast ratio, you will find they are the easiet of things to wind....Just Fantastic :1yikes:

BUt all this good stuff costs. They are around$700-$900. If you find one in a shop just give pick it up. Like Jewel said, you better get your money ready as you will not want to put it down!! CHeers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Just been reading up on the Torsa range

they look good they also have the interchangable Drag Cams.

which i think is a great idea

Available Cams

BFS50 - Bottom fishing special 50-80lb mono.

BFS20 - Bottom fishing special 20-40lb mono.

WMS - White marlin special 20-30lb

CFS - Chunk fish special - Tuna 15-40lb

KFS - King fish special 10-20lb mono

LLS12 - Light line special 12-15lb mono

LLS6 - Light line special 6-10lb mono

LRS - Long range special 20-65lb

Click to see specs

Edited by johnno

Just been reading up on the Torsa range

they look good they also have the interchangable Drag Cams.

which i think is a great idea

Available Cams

BFS50 - Bottom fishing special 50-80lb mono.

BFS20 - Bottom fishing special 20-40lb mono.

WMS - White marlin special 20-30lb

CFS - Chunk fish special - Tuna 15-40lb

KFS - King fish special 10-20lb mono

LLS12 - Light line special 12-15lb mono

LLS6 - Light line special 6-10lb mono

LRS - Long range special 20-65lb

Click to see specs

Hey Johnno,

Thanks for your reply.

Please excuse my ignorance but i dont know what is exactly meant by cams

Hey Johnno,

Thanks for your reply.

Please excuse my ignorance but i dont know what is exactly meant by cams

as you know the Torso has a lever drag

well a year ago

shimano came out with a cam style lever drag system that you can the drag settings.

As you can see posted there are 8 different drag cams

which are available with different settings

Here is a bit of a read

interchangable cams click here

Better review with pics

Like they say pictures speak 1000 words

Additionail edit

R ZEE

looking at the specs they don,t hold alot of line for the price for those reels

and they aren,t 2 speed but you don,t really won,t slow just fast

Edited by johnno

These reels aren't really for fishing nylon. It is way over engineered for it. They are mainly designed for braid. If ever a reel was designed specifically for fishing for kings, this is it!

The line capacities are misleading as it measures capacities in nylon. I like the newer Japanese PE system as it gives you a very accurate BRAID capacity

For things like jigging it holds plenty. Also the you need to keep the reel light and a big line capacity adds weight.You wouldn't jig with a Tiagra or a TLD or an Penn international!!! You wouldn't buy this reel to specifically target marlin but it can do it at a pinch.

With star drags, I find that I can't get enough sustained pressure. Most star drag overheads can't hold a steady 10kg of drag let alone 12-20KG's even if you screw the drag down with a pair of pliers...the TORSA EASILY holds 20kgs without blinking.

I have been told by shimano that they have run out of several models. Despite their price it seems like they are very popular!

As for the drag cam, I want a Linear relationship ie half way..get 50% of the set drag, etc so the different cams don't really interest me. But with braid, you have SO much leeway with breaking strains that this isn't such a crucial issue. Just have to be careful that you don't pull so hard that you rip the hooks out of the fish's mouth.Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Guest Big-Banana

like the newer Japanese PE system as it gives you a very accurate BRAID capacity

I haven't heard of that. I hate not knowing how much mono I need as backing and then overfilling the spool when I lay the braid o!

You were warned Kelvin!!!

Bet you dont regret it though!!

Trinidad Vs Titus.......... No comparison.

Both the Trinidad and Torsa have massive amounts of torque for high speed reels and as such perform VERY well as bottom bashers. The high ratio is a big plus in dragging rigs back from the bottom....... much less work!!!!

Slow ratios are only really an advantage on long drawn out slugfests with sharks marlin and tuna and in most fights the low speed is very rarely used if at all.

How much line do you want on your reel? I have 300yds of 24kg and about 200yds of mono on a Torsa 30, more than enough for anything other than the odd marlin.

I haven't heard of that. I hate not knowing how much mono I need as backing and then overfilling the spool when I lay the braid o!

Doesn't that suck when that happens. But the Japs are doing it right with their PE ratings. You'll find them on the lables on the upper end gear..like the shimano T curve, daiwa saltiga etc. Rods and reels now carry this rating and it is a good way to figure things out with braid. Just as an example, PE 50 is equivalent to 50lb braid, Pe 60 =60lb braid etc. Cheers Kelvin

You were warned Kelvin!!!

Bet you dont regret it though!!

Trinidad Vs Titus.......... No comparison.

Both the Trinidad and Torsa have massive amounts of torque for high speed reels and as such perform VERY well as bottom bashers. The high ratio is a big plus in dragging rigs back from the bottom....... much less work!!!!

Slow ratios are only really an advantage on long drawn out slugfests with sharks marlin and tuna and in most fights the low speed is very rarely used if at all.

How much line do you want on your reel? I have 300yds of 24kg and about 200yds of mono on a Torsa 30, more than enough for anything other than the odd marlin.

I blame you for my bank balance now looking real slim! :thumbup: but NOOOO regrets. Cheers Kelvin

R-zee in regards to the rod to match with your torsa i would definately recommend The new JigWrex, Just been released by Shimano and these things are great rods.....expensive but for a reel like that you would only want the best.

My mate just bought one and it is a perfect rod

Like the Ian Miller T-Curves it is thing as but with amazing strength.....Have a look at them before you decide anything

what i now do is put braid on first then mono until i am happy on how much i have on the spool i then take the mono and braid off and lay them on old spools onf line then spool up normaly

saves alot of wasted braid or not filling you spool up right

what i now do is put braid on first then mono until i am happy on how much i have on the spool i then take the mono and braid off and lay them on old spools onf line then spool up normaly

Same here! CHeers Kelvin

Hey fellas

sorry if I sound like a smart ass kelvin but I must correct you on your PE comments. PE: 5 is 50lb, PE:6 is 60 lb. thus PE:50 is 500lb...! don't think you'd fit too much on your reel lol, and try getting the drag to match! I agree that the PE system makes it easier to guestimate braid line capacity, but I also reckon line diameter in mm to meters is a more accurate way of measuring line capacity.

Cheers

Owen

Hey fellas

sorry if I sound like a smart ass kelvin but I must correct you on your PE comments. PE: 5 is 50lb, PE:6 is 60 lb. thus PE:50 is 500lb...! don't think you'd fit too much on your reel lol, and try getting the drag to match! I agree that the PE system makes it easier to guestimate braid line capacity, but I also reckon line diameter in mm to meters is a more accurate way of measuring line capacity.

Cheers

Owen

Sorry...typo! Cheers kELBin

Guest Big-Banana

Good idea, cheers!

Good idea, cheers!