Kings And Salmon

humesy

Howdy raiders,

I am giving a new form of the game a go: sluggos off the rocks near clovelly. Getting plenty of salmon but there don't seem to be many kings about. i was busted off today by what may have been a king but it was hard to tell. the salmon pull pretty hard but this fish seemed more determined to dive and i was cursing only going 10kg line on my new spool.

Anyway, my question is, do the two fish co-exist. The sambos are fun enough for a while but kingies are the aim of the game. Should i pack up when the salmon are chomping through my sluggos or could there be kingies in the mix, perhaps underneath.

Looking forward to any advice and really looking forward to nailing my first king off the rocks.

Cheers, Humesy

PS, should i go to 15kg line? I am thinking so at the moment.

Edited by humesy

it is my understanding that the kingies hang under the salmon and feast on the scrapes that filter through the water colum when the salmon are feeding.

I have heard that salmon are a great live bait for kingies as well

Definitely!!! Kings and salmon swim together on a regular basis. A good way to see if there are any kings around is to hook a salmon and keep him in the water. OFten a kingy will come around to have a look. They are very curious and are attracted to all the commotion of a hooked fish.

I use braid for lure fishing for kings... 30lb mostly. CHeers Kelvin

it is my understanding that the kingies hang under the salmon and feast on the scrapes that filter through the water colum when the salmon are feeding.

I have heard that salmon are a great live bait for kingies as well

I have heard the same, the Kings are below the Salmon. The trick is to get the bait/lure down to them, using a heavier lure to get to the bottom will help.

Thanks all,

I will have to try some way of getting a lure down there. I tried a CD9 Rapala yesterday with no interest. Anyone got any other particular favourites? Also tried some big sea gars on ganged hooks.

On another note, I was "upsold" some flourocarbon leader the other day. (I am a tackle store owner's dream). What do you make of the stuff? Bloody expensive that's for sure. The fella says it is way tougher and harder for the fish to see in daylight. Anyone swear by it?

Cheers

Thanks all,

I will have to try some way of getting a lure down there. I tried a CD9 Rapala yesterday with no interest. Anyone got any other particular favourites? Also tried some big sea gars on ganged hooks.

On another note, I was "upsold" some flourocarbon leader the other day. (I am a tackle store owner's dream). What do you make of the stuff? Bloody expensive that's for sure. The fella says it is way tougher and harder for the fish to see in daylight. Anyone swear by it?

Cheers

You can try a weighted sluggo. Just put a sinker in front of the lure and let it sink. THis will get you down deeper.

I use fluorocarbon all the time. That it is tougher to see is something I can't believe as I can see it clearly in the water!!!! Chances are if I can see it then the fish can also.

I use it mainly for its abrasion resistence. Better than most nylon. I also use it on my squid jigs as the stuff sinks. Gotta becareful with some brands as they do not knot very well. Cheers Kelvin

Big Kings eat Salmon. Most pelagics swim together in the same schools. Its not uncommon to have Salmon, Bonito,Tailor,Trevally and Kings in the same school.

Edited by Reely

Guest Big-Banana

Big Kings eat Salmon. Most pelagics swim together in the same schools. Its not uncommon to have Salmon, Bonito,Tailor,Trevally and Kings in the same school.

Yeah I was just about to say, on the same day, from the same school we pulled Kings, Tailor & Salmon. So I'd assume they would either chase bait together or eat each other.

Guest danielinbyron

"I will have to try some way of getting a lure down there. I tried a CD9 Rapala yesterday with no interest. Anyone got any other particular favourites? Also tried some big sea gars on ganged hooks."

With the plastics or sluggos , if they're just getting wrecked by tailor or sambos , swap'em out i reckon.

We use 85gram raiders or spaniards, let them sink and then whip them back.. fast retrieve until they're skipping across the surface or big poppers at speed. I've noticed that kingies drop off unless its a v fast retrieve.