E-tec 60

Shark Bait

The 75 & 90 are excellent engines. The 75 is a detuned 90 & carries the same engine capacity & weight as the 90. The 90 is white, the 75 dark blue.

Over the last 12 months I've done a lot of research about E-Tecs & I haven't dug up any mud on the 75 or 90. I ordered a new 75 yesterday. I was going to order a 60 but the 2 cylinder engines don't get as good a rap as the 3 cylinder 75 & 90. If you google "E-Tec 75" or "E-Tec 90" & read the forums & reviews, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Now I have to sell my old engine, a very tidy oil injected 81 Suzuki DT 85. Serviced every 12 months (including water pump). Runs nice & crisp, it's a happy thing. Starts instantly & will idle or troll all day. Pushes my haines hunter 445 half cab along at 60kmh plus according to my GPS. I'll sell it off the boat so people can hear & see it run. I can compression test it in front of them as well. I don't know how or where I'll advertise it. Maybe the trading post. Any ideas?

The 75 & 90 are excellent engines. The 75 is a detuned 90 & carries the same engine capacity & weight as the 90. The 90 is white, the 75 dark blue.

Over the last 12 months I've done a lot of research about E-Tecs & I haven't dug up any mud on the 75 or 90. I ordered a new 75 yesterday. I was going to order a 60 but the 2 cylinder engines don't get as good a rap as the 3 cylinder 75 & 90. If you google "E-Tec 75" or "E-Tec 90" & read the forums & reviews, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Now I have to sell my old engine, a very tidy oil injected 81 Suzuki DT 85. Serviced every 12 months (including water pump). Runs nice & crisp, it's a happy thing. Starts instantly & will idle or troll all day. Pushes my haines hunter 445 half cab along at 60kmh plus according to my GPS. I'll sell it off the boat so people can hear & see it run. I can compression test it in front of them as well. I don't know how or where I'll advertise it. Maybe the trading post. Any ideas?

The E-Tec 90 comes in either white or blue, we have had one for 12 months now and have had no problems. They are fuel efficient, low noise level, low fumes and don't mind long periods of slow speeds - we quite often do a 4hr river cruise at 4-6 knots but give the engine a good blow out after. We never have to prime the engine, just turn the key and away it goes every time - as you would expect with a new motor! The 90 gives us more than ample power on a 5.1 Quintrex Freedom Sport (bowrider).

Sharkbait, the 75 only comes in blue. The 90 in blue or white.

I had a 75 on a 4.8m galeforce fibreglass boat last year. Fantastic motor, very fuel efficient, quiet and no oil smell, I had it tuned to xd100 oil after 20 or so hours (I believe it runs double oil for the first 10 or 20hours) and it used very little oil.

It spun a big prop (17pitch s/s) and had heaps of grunt.

cheers,

Simon

Chris ,

The Pitch of the propellor is the theoretical distance the prop moves forward in one revolution , ie every time the prop turns , it moves forward 17 inches. There are many other factors that also come into this equation , such as slip , torque etc. All of that information and more can be found HERE .

Ross

Didn't mean to start anything when I said 17pitch was big.

It's all relative, my last engine was a 60horse with a 13pitch, so I thought 17pitch was big.

Just on your comments CFD, WOT for the e-tec is 4500-5500, so on the boat you test drove, there was definitely a problem, as you didn't even achieve WOT properly, sometimes engines need to be moved up a hole or two to reduce drag, as well as prop changes to achieve best results, so I don't think you should rely on that one test to decide that e-tecs are no good.

The 75e-tec that I had had a capacity of 1295cc, a yamaha 70 2stroke has 849cc, so I don't agree that the e-tecs don't have torque, they have it in spades.

I would definitely consider buying another e-tec, I don't agree that they are "severly underpowered for their horsepower rating"

cheers,

Simon