Home Made Down Riggers

Ads

tried out a home made down rigger on the week end (saving up for a proper one) which consists of a 3lb sotty's bomb and release clip on a nylon cord. Couldnt seem to get the bomb towing vertically (90 degrese) with the boat. I was very worried about fouling the prop.

Is this because the nylon rope has more drag through the water than wire cable or do i need to get a heavier bomb? I was only trolling at about 2 knots.

Probably both ads, if your talking about saltwater use i would look at a 7 pound bomb at least because you tow big baits heavy line, against currents etc. and it all affects the towing angle. You could use a 3 pound bomb if you used something like 50lb braid as the towing line and fished small to med baits on small to medium tackle in areas where there is not to much flow like middle harbour. Also troll as slow as possible.

yeh i was towing a fairly big yakka on 30lb line so i guess that makes sence

Probably both ads, if your talking about saltwater use i would look at a 7 pound bomb at least because you tow big baits heavy line, against currents etc. and it all affects the towing angle. You could use a 3 pound bomb if you used something like 50lb braid as the towing line and fished small to med baits on small to medium tackle in areas where there is not to much flow like middle harbour. Also troll as slow as possible.

100% right

Definately your bomb weight, smaller ones are designed for areas with no current