Live Squid

Luringbream

Gday all, im not really use to fishing with live squid for kingies but rather squid strips, but with all this hype about hoods on live squid, im curious to know how the squid are rigged?

I have no problem getting squid, its just rigging them.

Any help is greatly appreciated..

DAN

Gday all, im not really use to fishing with live squid for kingies but rather squid strips, but with all this hype about hoods on live squid, im curious to know how the squid are rigged?

I have no problem getting squid, its just rigging them.

Any help is greatly appreciated..

DAN

Mate they are rigged on a sliding snell rig.....like this one

Its a leading hook ( either Treble or Circle) I prefer treble, then a adjustable keeper hook....I use plastic tubing to guide the trace through so it adjust quite easily.

Dan

thanks for your reply. You have just opened up a world of opportunity for me. Its the simple things that make this site so great. I have always rigged livies and squid similar but both hooks ahve been fixed. never thought to make the slider like that.

Kind regards

davo

Its a leading hook ( either Treble or Circle) I prefer treble, then a adjustable keeper hook....I use plastic tubing to guide the trace through so it adjust quite easily.

Netic, if you dont mind me asking, how do you tie the main hook onto the line? (ive tried to follow directions on the net about sliding snells but couldnt get it afterheaps of attempts :thumbdown: )

Netic, the single hook on your rig floats? you use plstic tubing as a stopper - how tight is the tube? when trolling a squid wouldn't the towing hook slide down under presure to the treble causing the bait to bundle?

Netic, the single hook on your rig floats? you use plstic tubing as a stopper - how tight is the tube? when trolling a squid wouldn't the towing hook slide down under presure to the treble causing the bait to bundle?

Mate the keeper hook doesnt float....the red tubing is tied onto it and the trace goes through it, it is quite hard to move the keeper hook so for that reason it doesnt slide down at all

Looking at that rig I reckon I could improve upon that even further by using bicycle valve rubber. Not that it really needs improving.

davo

Netic, do you tie the piece of tubing on to the main line to stop the keeper sliding down, or tie the hook on aswell? (:wacko: , if that made sense)

YOu just tie the tubing on, if you tied the hook it would not slide. But its gotta be tied right so it wont slide

There are easier ways of doing it....simpliest way is to use a cable tie, but with bigger kings bait presentatio is everything and the smallest thing could not make them bite....so i prefer this method as it is quite discreet.

i learnt this rig straight from pete le blang, its pretty easy once it is done in front of you but hard to explian in text.