Would It Be Possible To Catch A Yellowfin Tuna In The Harbour?

henryinnis

I know someone who has caught a couple of SBT Tuna near Maroubra a few years ago. I have also seen a Marlin close near there. I also know someone who hooked a Marlin on the CC last year. All off the rocks. Put in enough time and something will happen if you have half a clue what you are doing.

A couple of years ago I was on a charter. A guy hooked a sailfish on a shimano btr3500. Best thing was he has mone leader, then mono, then braid, then mono, last mono was lighter than the braid, nearly got spooled, then turned it and landed it. That showed me than anything is possible!!

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to catch a yellowfin tuna in the harbour. My friend asked me and I wasn't sure...

I mean, if the currents, water temp, weather, bait and tides were all ok would they come? Is it possible? Just want to see what the raiders say.

About 10 years ago a mate and I landed about an 8kg Northern Blue Fin Tuna inside Sydney Heads, just near quarantine bay. We were'nt too sure exactly what sort of tuna it was but, no no no was close by and came and identified it. He took a snap for us and it tunred up in one of his articles. I agree with kelvin, anything can happen in Sydney Harbour. The whales reckon it's ok. Alos picked up spotty mackrel at the same spot about the same time. As for YFT, if the numbers keep declining the way they are, we'll be lucky to catch any anywhere.

Sydney Harbour would have to be one of the most unique systems on the coast, just by it's size and variety of inlets and depths. There is so much structure in and around all the bays and even in the open areas. I watched a 1940's film recently where a Sydney fellow met some visiting Americans who were here to catch marlin. This Sydney fellow bet the Yanks he could get them onto marlin within 30 minutes, and the clock started ticking while they were still in the pub. The Sydney bloke won the bet. Some amazing archival footage of big marlin and tiger sharks being caught in big numbers (and sadly killed), just outsied the heads.

Cheers,

Brian P.

Although this isn't directly related, i caught a 65cm Giant Herring in the Parramatta River a bit over a year ago and dont ask what it was doing way down here. They are a tropical water fish so he must have travelled a very verrrry long way from the north along the coast through the harbour and most of the parra to Hen and Chicken Bay.

So im with the others saying that anything is possible in the harbour.

DAN