Would It Be Possible To Catch A Yellowfin Tuna In The Harbour?

henryinnis

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to catch a yellowfin tuna in the harbour. My friend asked me and I wasn't sure...

I mean, if the currents, water temp, weather, bait and tides were all ok would they come? Is it possible? Just want to see what the raiders say.

I would seriously doubt it, the water is not clear enough...............But hey anything is possible

Back in the captain cook days their are journals of the first settlers describing a fish that used to be caught at sow and pigs....description is Yellowfin Tuna...but then the water was completely natural...no boats..no storm water..no nothing...so i seriously doubt it....

Edited by netic

Guest danielinbyron

If you get kingies there you could get rat yf, if the water was warm enough and a bait ball turned left instead of right and a butterfly flapped its wings in Shanghai etc.

also, read that a few years back there was a pair of sailfish working of manly ferry wharf....and a small marlin of some variety was hooked off clifton gardens...although.....i dont know if i could believe either of those claims lol.

http://www.fishnet.com.au/default.aspx?id=...;articleId=3856 <- that gives some info about the yft tuna thing

Edited by KingsRule

Yellowfin have been caught in the harbour and other Sydney estuaries, quite a few years back there where Game Boats trolling South West Arm in Port Hacking there where that many Fin around!

all of the weather features you mentioned plus plenty of bait would have to be around before expecting something exceptional like that to happen again though!

I hope it does though :1prop:

Who knows with global warming? Personally i doubt YFT will ever be caught in the harbour again except under a choas type of situation. The marlin story off clifton gardens is true however. Also the 7kg snapper being hand fed by a local also appears to be true. The cobia taken in Middle Harbour is definately true as i caught one a couple of months ago. The only thing for certain is that targeting YFT in the harbour will be extremely disappointing.

I think its interesting though, I mean if marlin take a run in the harbour then who knows?

I know that you can rock fish off North Head if you can cast far enough for Marlin, or thats what a mate has said...

The gardens comment about the sailfish is interesting. If the bait is right as you guys said, it could work.

quite a few years back there where Game Boats trolling South West Arm in Port Hacking there where that many Fin around!

I met a couple of old blokes in Narooma years ago that were distant relos of my missus. They spoke of catching YFT and Kings in the deep holes of Port Hacking but it must have been quite a few years ago.

Also I recall reading that a Marlin was caught in the Heads of Sydney Harbour that broke an Australian Line class record. Not sure how long ago that was but.

LAst season there was a marlin caught off Barrenjoey Head, this season already one was caught 2kms from Sydney Heads.

At the moment we have Slimy schools working 500 metres from Sydney heads, Have seen them on each of my last 4 trips.

So long as they stay there marlin could be floating around.

Last season i heard of 10 captures of Marlin within 5 kms of Botany Heads, actually witnessed one of them.

Mate with fishing anything is possible

I know that you can rock fish off North Head if you can cast far enough for Marlin, or thats what a mate has said...

Catching Marlin Landbased from North head would be highly unlikely, it would take hundreds of hours of fishing and you more then likely still wont get one.

Even at places like the tubes at Jervis Bay, which is a renowned LB spot for Marlin it takes days to get on and your still lucky if you do.

3 years ago, friend caught a Cobia at Woolwich Wharf on live Yakka,

15 years ago, another old workmate caught a Spaniard on whole Pilchard at Rose Bay,

most years a Baby Black gets caught in between Box and Barrenjoey.

Dan if i rememer last year got a 2kg YFT in close off the waverider buoy,

Big Eye used to get caught off the Ovens about 30years ago, with global warming etc, who knows.

I dont think people actually target fish like Marlin in very close off Sydney, but i bet they are there!

It has happened in the past, I amsure it will again.

The run of rat YFT in South west arm of port hacking certainly upset a few folks....... buggered if I can remember which year it was ..... mid to late 80s I think. Ross Hunter may be able to clear this one up.

spoke to broken bay bro who use to fish barrenjoey for snapper.

many stories and pictures which i seen with yellow fin as a by catch.

reely didnt you hook a marlin off barrenjoey a couple of years ago?

the yft im holding is from a place called browns mountain not far from sydney or botany, definately wont be able to cast there but by boat its a good spot for yft.

roughly 38km from botany

reely didnt you hook a marlin off barrenjoey a couple of years ago?

roughly 38km from botany

Just south of that, in front of Mona Vale,ssshhhh. Seen photos of my good friends father get one at West Reef!

Caught longtail in MH but they are an inshore species that rarely go far off shore. Mick collins got a cobia in Middle Harbour over 10kgs on squid 2 years ago now. But cobia are very common around sydney at times! I got a couple off barrenjoey last summer fishing for kings. The largest going over 20kg!

Just about anything can appear in Sydney harbour. I am expecting some spottie mackeral sometime this summer. I think they will be a sure bet. WOuldn't surprise me if there was a run a spainish mackeral as well.

WIth Yellowfin who knows? In some places on earth they frequent the close shores and swim in dirty water. As long as the temperatures are right, the salinity is right and there is bait fish anything can turn up. WIth the drought we are having I wouldn't be surprised if some of the offshore species come really close. Cheers Kelvin

Caught longtail in MH but they are an inshore species that rarely go far off shore. Mick collins got a cobia in Middle Harbour over 10kgs on squid 2 years ago now. But cobia are very common around sydney at times! I got a couple off barrenjoey last summer fishing for kings. The largest going over 20kg!

Just about anything can appear in Sydney harbour. I am expecting some spottie mackeral sometime this summer. I think they will be a sure bet. WOuldn't surprise me if there was a run a spainish mackeral as well.

WIth Yellowfin who knows? In some places on earth they frequent the close shores and swim in dirty water. As long as the temperatures are right, the salinity is right and there is bait fish anything can turn up. WIth the drought we are having I wouldn't be surprised if some of the offshore species come really close. Cheers Kelvin

Kelvin, how did they catch Longtail Tuna in the Harbour.. Interested to know. Anyway on topi, with the warmer water, the tropics could expand so I guess anything is possible....

Longtail hug the coast on their way North, it happens every year, but not everyone knows when they come, usually you hear a week after everyone has caught them, because the LBG fishos keep it quiet and dont want poeple taking their ledges or boats trolling over their lines.

Kelvin, how did they catch Longtail Tuna in the Harbour.. Interested to know. Anyway on topi, with the warmer water, the tropics could expand so I guess anything is possible....

On lures..poppers and sluggos.They were busting on the surface. Small schools. Stayed for about 2 weeks and were gone. Near Bantry Cheers Kelvin

There are a lot more tropical species around than you think, there has been a colony of spangled emperor in the Harbour for years now, this has been verified by divers.I have also seen a small Marlin in there.I was reeling in a tired Bonito when it suddenly kicked like crazy close to the boat, as I looked over the side I spotted the beakie cruising past about 2 metres down.I have heard similar stories of guys actually hooking up on them in S/H ,although they would have buckleys of staying connected for long.

Unbelievable, i mean i believe it, just amazing what really is out there!

Like i have stories too and so do many others, and if i/we said them here, people would think i/we are crazy or stupid! Some people are the biggest sceptics cause they think if they dont know, then no-one else can, right! Whateva, i say.

Ooooh,what lurks beneath!

Edited by Reely

We had a double hookup on jellybean yellowfin about 1km from the heads about 4 years ago. We had trolled all the way home from a sharking trip on the shelf and were just about to pull the lures in when they went off. I have a couple of mates that have landed yellowfin up to 25kg from the rocks at north head so if the water and bait come in close enough then anything is possible.

I know of yellowfin caught off the rocks at Maroubra's Yellow Rock about 7 or 8 years back. The run of yellowfin in Port Hacking was in the 1990's I think.

Marlin (small blacks) are a regular occurence very close to shore in the early summer months off Sydney. I have seen one inside Botany Heads. Bluefin Sports when it was at Hurstville had a cast of a large sailfish in the store. It was caught inside Botany Heads in the 1970's.