Marlin In 60 Metres Off Coogee

Ross Hunter

The offshore tip for the weekend is Yellowfin out wide to 10 kg and that's tops We did not see any big fish . Today we hada corperate reef charter and loaded up between the boats with a good haul of plate snapper to 2kg , heaps of mowies, pigfish and a rat few kings to 5kg

We were heading to a reef we call Hunter's Hill (I can't imagine how it got that name) and were trolling in 30 fathoms when I spotted a striped marlin tailing down the waves, we eventually got a bite from him but did not catch it ... I little further northward we encountered our second fish once again tailing. but did not get a bite from that one. There has been two tagged through the week out wider....So all you keen Fishraiders It looks like nice weather and it just could be a billfish weekend...The fish were very small around the 60kg mark, but would be great fun on light tackle...Pull some live slimeys.... Go tag one

Good luck...see marlin story on www.gamefishingcharters.com.au ."fishing stories and hints section"

Thanks for the update Ross.

I will be out tomorrow and the conditions look good. Water temp out wide is as hig as 24Deg which looks like beakie time to me. Good luck to everyone.

Ron

As i always say a bad day out in THE OFFICE is always better than a good day at the office.

Well the weekend has come and gone and with it I heard of three marlin caught. Rob Curry on his new 40 foot Blackwatch "Marquis" was the hero when he tagged and released a 70 kg striped and then a 120 kg Blue out wider. We fished from Sydney to Botany Bay in 30 fathoms and saw heaps of small blacks but did not catch any. The few fish that were caught were caught in 70 fathoms, 90 fathoms and 230 fathoms so there was no pattern to the show. Lot's of fuel burnt by many boats for no joy.Very little bait and scattered fish that required a lot of luck to catch.....but that's what it's all about I guess.In close there was lot's of tailing fish that really are tough to catch. Oh! Well back to the drawing board . It won't be long and it will be going off!

Well the weekend has come and gone and with it I heard of three marlin caught. Rob Curry on his new 40 foot Blackwatch "Marquis" was the hero when he tagged and released a 70 kg striped and then a 120 kg Blue out wider. We fished from Sydney to Botany Bay in 30 fathoms and saw heaps of small blacks but did not catch any. The few fish that were caught were caught in 70 fathoms, 90 fathoms and 230 fathoms so there was no pattern to the show. Lot's of fuel burnt by many boats for no joy.Very little bait and scattered fish that required a lot of luck to catch.....but that's what it's all about I guess.In close there was lot's of tailing fish that really are tough to catch. Oh! Well back to the drawing board . It won't be long and it will be going off!

Good to see Rob got onto a couple Marlin......I used to go out with him often and he is a great operator....Hopefully will be going out with him soon to increase my game fishing knowledge.