Broken Bay/pittwater

Guest Big-Banana

Guest Big-Banana

Gday Fellas,

Was planning on having a go for a Tuna or Marlin out wide but with the NE coming on strong in the afternoon, opted against that and headed to Broken Bay.

Got to Brooklyn at about 6:30am with intention to go and try and get a King. Being a bit lazy we didn't try to get squid and got 6 Yakkas instead and downrigged them around a few wrecks for nothing. Not really bothered we tried for a few squid but found it a bit tough and gave up after 15 minutes.

Headed out wide in search of a feed and put out the sea anchor in 50 meters of water and had a really good drift going. We then put down a few baits and picked up some nice flatties on the live yakkas and a few other species like a Slimy, a Pike and a really nice Nannygai.

Put the Slimy on the bottom with a 1 hook rig and it was belted by something, I've got no idea what it was but it had my 15kg rod buckled over. Hooks pulled and below are what was left. Pretty disappointed to not be able to have a look. Any ideas of what it might have been?

Scored a great flatty around 70cm and a bunch of others. Not many undersize ones today but it was just great to have a fish and score a few at the same time.

We're gonna have a top feed tonight.

Cheers :biggrin2::biggrin2:

post-16-1165636299_thumb.jpg

post-16-1165636310_thumb.jpg

Nice brace of flatties there. :thumbup:

Gee, that slimy sure copped the business end of something toothy.

I wonder if it was a hoodlum king.

Enjoy your feed tonight.

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Guest Big-Banana

Well done on the flatties Anthony

I would probably say Jackets hit the Slimy...

From what i can see you have hooked huim through his top and bottom lip????? WHich means he wont be able to open his mouth

I tried something different, I was reading an article which suggested it like I've got. Usually I use a two hook rig but I was lazy.

I've settled on it being a big Jacket or a shark. It had plenty of weight and I got it off the bottom then it let go. Guess Ill never know.

I tried something different, I was reading an article which suggested it like I've got. Usually I use a two hook rig but I was lazy.

I've settled on it being a big Jacket or a shark. It had plenty of weight and I got it off the bottom then it let go. Guess Ill never know.

I was always told to never close there mouths as they will die much quicker, always good to pin them through the nose

Guest Big-Banana

I was always told to never close there mouths as they will die much quicker, always good to pin them through the nose

I thought the same, I'll keep that in mind next time around.

Knowing it was prob a big jacket makes me feel much better!

na they won t die any quicker i set mine like that all the time and never have any problems with em surviving.

generally if i have a live bait out there for longer than an hour i will swap em anyway so extended life definately isn t necessary.

personally i believe a 1 hook rig will out fish a 2 hook rig as it only interfers with the fishes presentation and if your going to be so concerned about missing a fish because it wont swollow the livie whole do you really want that fish.

big baits catch big fish generally speaking so match your hook obviously to the bait and away you go.

couple of questions

1 just read you have a 7m boat how did a moderate nor ester keep you away from those beakies?

2 what were you trying to catch anyway with a slimie drifting it along the bottom of the broken bay flathead grounds?

Guest Big-Banana

na they won t die any quicker i set mine like that all the time and never have any problems with em surviving.

generally if i have a live bait out there for longer than an hour i will swap em anyway so extended life definately isn t necessary.

personally i believe a 1 hook rig will out fish a 2 hook rig as it only interfers with the fishes presentation and if your going to be so concerned about missing a fish because it wont swollow the livie whole do you really want that fish.

big baits catch big fish generally speaking so match your hook obviously to the bait and away you go.

couple of questions

1 just read you have a 7m boat how did a moderate nor ester keep you away from those beakies?

2 what were you trying to catch anyway with a slimie drifting it along the bottom of the broken bay flathead grounds?

I'm usually the same, I change my baits regularly.

Your right about not being able to swallow the livey. I'll persist with a 2 hook rig though. it was a XOS Slimy so I should've used two hooks.

1) Looking back on it, they forecasted a 20 knot change in the arvo and not really wanting to head home in that we opted against it. It was a great day when we hit the water, and the BOM got it wrong. We'll be out there this w/e weather pending.

2) I always have a bait jig down wherever I go. Rule is, if you catch a livey put him back down where he came from straight away. We've got some good school and gummy sharks out there before, so it never hurts to try.

I have a question, pls

What significant marks should i be looking for when looking for the flatty grounds?

Do i just head east of Barrenjoey until i hit 50M of water?

I am planning to find it this weekend so any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance (hopefully...lol)

Guest Big-Banana

Mate theres no real marks for the grounds. Theres plenty of sand out there. Get out to 50 and start your drift. a sea anchor will be real handy here.