Squid Jigs

namesay

Went to Tony's sale a couple of days ago and had a look at all the squid jigs. Just wanted to know what other raider's favourites are. This is a HOT topic for us kingie fishers as squid are by far the BEST bait for inshore kingfish!

post-2057-1165908856_thumb.jpg

This is my favourite colour. CFD told me it is called a yakka". It is a yozuri 2.0 . Just have a look at this jig as the squid have bitten the back of it so much that it is losing its colour.

I also love the shrimp hunter in pink.

post-2057-1165909008_thumb.jpg

I have lost one of its eyes but makes no difference. It is a 2.5

post-2057-1165909062_thumb.jpg

Here are some cheaper jigs that I bought for $3. Most have a large chin lead. I have trimmed the lead in the upper one and it now suspends in the water beautifully. My kids LOVE this jig. They outfish me often!! Cheers kelvin

those jigs give you a bit of a :wank: :-rolleyes:smoke: ehh Oz?

they look good,

my fav is the one kelvin has pictured first as we discussed... but there is something that works even better for me :1yikes:

ye olde squid spike :biggrin2:

CFD

I gave them a go a few times but unfortunately they didnt work for me too well, but hey it doesnt mean they dont work.

Yeah mate my Yama's are the bomb.....might have to lend you one so you can try it out....

For me, i cant go past the cheepies you buy from ***** and+_+_), they've always worked for me and are really cheap so i dont mind losing the odd one. In saying that i have got expensive jigs but on the last 2 outings i've lost 2 so i think ill just stick to the cheap ones.

But generally i find no real difference between the expensive and cheapies. (just my opinion)

But they do look like sweet jigs! Espesh that top one.

DAN

Kelvin - you can't go past yakkas if you want to use a squid spike.

In fact - off the oceanic rocks on Sydney's coast, a yakka on a spike will usually outfish a jig in my experience. The jigs come into their own in the bays and harbors though.

And THANKS for the tip about trimming the lead on the cheapies. I'll definitely give that a go.

Kelvin - you can't go past yakkas if you want to use a squid spike.

In fact - off the oceanic rocks on Sydney's coast, a yakka on a spike will usually outfish a jig in my experience. The jigs come into their own in the bays and harbors though.

And THANKS for the tip about trimming the lead on the cheapies. I'll definitely give that a go.

The next time I am out fishing barrenjoey I'll give the yakkas on a spike a go. That old italian fella fishes for squid there with jigs but I'll try to out fish him on yakkas!!

In shallow water like pittwater the lead trimming trick works great. In the harbour where you are generally squidding in deeper water, I find the cheaper jigs are OK. I think the trick is to find a weight that will make the jig sink SLOWLY rather than nose dive. I have seen a few people work the jig vigorously to keep it suspended. I like to just let it sit for a while.

Went out for a fish today and the squid were being real tricky. They would follow and not hit the lure. Ended up getting 4 squid converted to 2 kings but boy were those squid tricky today.Felt like I needed a net. Cheers Kelvin

The next time I am out fishing barrenjoey I'll give the yakkas on a spike a go. That old italian fella fishes for squid there with jigs but I'll try to out fish him on yakkas!!

In shallow water like pittwater the lead trimming trick works great. In the harbour where you are generally squidding in deeper water, I find the cheaper jigs are OK. I think the trick is to find a weight that will make the jig sink SLOWLY rather than nose dive. I have seen a few people work the jig vigorously to keep it suspended. I like to just let it sit for a while.

Went out for a fish today and the squid were being real tricky. They would follow and not hit the lure. Ended up getting 4 squid converted to 2 kings but boy were those squid tricky today.Felt like I needed a net. Cheers Kelvin

Kelvin, how are you finding the peckers this season.

Last season nearly every squid resulted in a King, this season the peckers are getting at them quite a bit, eg: might catch 6 Squid and 3 might get pecked before you find the kings.

DO you think its due to the commercial fishing ban, Bream, Snapper stocks are seriously up on previous years because none of them are being netted and now these pesky little silver things are ending up taking the head of my hard earnt squid.

What are your thoughts???

I have stopped fishing some locations due to the pickers. They are in plague proportions unlike other seasons. You can't have a small squid on these days as the pickers literally pick the eyes out of them.

Don't know how to combat the situation but the bigger squid seem to avoid them. Doesn't allow the kingies a chance! Had to resort to using lures and jigs in some spots. Cheers Kelvin

I have stopped fishing some locations due to the pickers. They are in plague proportions unlike other seasons. You can't have a small squid on these days as the pickers literally pick the eyes out of them.

Don't know how to combat the situation but the bigger squid seem to avoid them. Doesn't allow the kingies a chance! Had to resort to using lures and jigs in some spots. Cheers Kelvin

Hey

Namesay an Netic are spot on with the amount of tiddlers around that take our hard caught squid :1badmood::1badmood:

A point of interested was that last winter during the ban on commercial fishing we got more squid than we knew what to do with??? Both myself an my brother put this down the the ban on the pro's, ie more prawns an other things for squid to eat,,, However now with squid being very finicky an all the tiddlers, it makes it even harder

Dan an Greg

PS We are now outa squid in the freezer

Edited by Dan and Greg

Might have to resort to anchoring and using strips!!!!!!! The squid are very lure shy in Sydney probably due to all the keen kingfish and jewie fishermen. Luckily they haven't evolved a decent brain and are still stupid. I always find that when you get a squid on I try to bring it in as slowly as possible as it tends to attract other squid. Often you can convert 1 strike into 2. Cheers Kelvin