Jewey Reels - Advice

Davemmm

Having not much of an imagination I always leave the missus without much of an idea what to get me for christmas. She is now demanding a $150-$200 suggestion.

As I have been using a fairly old reel for a while now I need the gifted FR members to suggest a decent threadline to continue the elusive Jew hunt.

Dont worry about a matching Rod as I will upgrade very soon to match.

Cheers in advance

Dave

The BTR is a great reel but it is also pretty big!

Depending on what your application is you may be able to get away with something smaller, lighter and perhaps more useable in a range of situations, as the BTR is pretty job specific.

I have been using a Daiwa Tierra 4000 as a heavy spin reel for a while now with 10 kg (300m plus a little backing) and am fairly confident pointing it at most inshore fish.

It casts well and is a pleasure to spin with, it also falls well within your price range.

The BTR is a great reel but it is also pretty big!

Depending on what your application is you may be able to get away with something smaller, lighter and perhaps more useable in a range of situations, as the BTR is pretty job specific.

I have been using a Daiwa Tierra 4000 as a heavy spin reel for a while now with 10 kg (300m plus a little backing) and am fairly confident pointing it at most inshore fish.

It casts well and is a pleasure to spin with, it also falls well within your price range.

I get the point on the size. At 850gm it looks a big lump.

I only fish estuary/bay and from time to time I have a live bait dig in holes etc.

I want to go up in line size from what my reels hold and I like the idea of the second independant drag system.

Perhaps I go down from 6500 to the 4500

They are both the same inside, just the 6500 has a bigger spool. The 4500 is ample in my opinion. Caught that many jews on it its not funny.

Baitrunner 6500 or 4500...both will do the job no sweat.....you can even upgrade the drag

Hi i myself got Shimano BTR 4500B loaded with 15lb Mono, just wondering how much does it cost to upgrade the drag??? What does it involved???

Sorry for asking this silly Q's what is the advantage of upgrading...i mean is there a BIG diff with smothness???

Cheers :)

Guest danielinbyron

If you send the reel to the factory, Dunphys , they probably won't charge for labor , just parts and they'll fully service it as they go. At least that was the deal with the spheros , however i just ordered it upgraded, titanium washer and bearing kit.

Guest danielinbyron

what are the differences between the btr and the thunnus mate ..

I was actually under the impresion they were no longer making them until recently..

what are the differences between the btr and the thunnus mate ..

I was actually under the impresion they were no longer making them until recently..

i think the old ones are made out of metal not graphite.

they no longer make them, but they are still available from some shops.

They have stopped making them, the Thunnus has a ARB, and are very similar to the Spheros, just with a baitrunner feature. Some stores do sell them, they are much better than the BTR. Both great reels. Prolly hard to get parts for the Thunnus though.

Guys, they never stopped making the Thunnus, its just that Shimano Australia stopped importing it for a little while. As Kevvie has already mentioned, they are superb :thumbup:

I once used Baitrunners but moved over to the Thunnus a few seasons back and they are a better reel. Their metal body is the key when using heavy braid. I'm running 65lb braid through my lot and no dramas so far. They even survived 8 days of punishment in Cairns.

Baitrunners are fantastic reels for their asking price :thumbup: They are dependable and have stood the test of time. Best value reel by a country mile for those intending to use 50lb braid or less, however i know a couple of guys who run 80lb through theirs and have taken some impressive fish. You won't be disappointed with the trusty BTR for the money.

Cheers

Red

Guys, they never stopped making the Thunnus, its just that Shimano Australia stopped importing it for a little while. As Kevvie has already mentioned, they are superb :thumbup:

I once used Baitrunners but moved over to the Thunnus a few seasons back and they are a better reel. Their metal body is the key when using heavy braid. I'm running 65lb braid through my lot and no dramas so far. They even survived 8 days of punishment in Cairns.

Baitrunners are fantastic reels for their asking price :thumbup: They are dependable and have stood the test of time. Best value reel by a country mile for those intending to use 50lb braid or less, however i know a couple of guys who run 80lb through theirs and have taken some impressive fish. You won't be disappointed with the trusty BTR for the money.

Cheers

Red

Hey you lot.

Tell him about the Penn SS reels too. Cheaper. and a damn sight stronger...Last fish I brought in on my 8500 was a 56lb gold spot cod.. Dragged him up alright.

and these new ones have rectified the anti reverse problem. and smoothed out the line lay, to suit braid....

Blokes fish for marlin with them....

Apart from that. Those BTR's are plastic, aren't they?

Look at the rest of the market. not just the Shimano......You'd be surprised what's out there......

Daiwa do good egbeaters too......

Regards

Macka17