Barrington Tops And New England

covanova

Somehow I managed to convinve the :wife: to go on a road trip over xmas stopping at Barrington tops and eventually up to the Walcha/Armidale area.

Does anyone have suggestions for fishing locations up there? you hear all sorts of things about the trout and bass, but I haven't been able to get a straight answer, particularly about this time of year. We were also keen to do some camping.

Guest IFishSick.

I go up there quite a lot while visiting family at a farm near there.

Not sure about the Trout in the streams and stuff but have never really studied them. But last time I was up I heard they released 5,000 Trout up the stream.

Maybe some of those fellas will follow the river down right past you.

By camping - what sort of setup do you have? There are a great bunch of lakes on a 'round trip' that includes the Armidale/Tamworth area, finishing in the Hunter region (Closer to Tamworth are a few smaller dams like Chaffey (on Peel river - also gold panning), then the bigger ones Glenbawn, Lake St Claire & Lostock - where the caravan park is right on the river.) Obviously each one has a river going into & out of it - just a matter of how close you camp to it to fish! Sometimes there are restrictions above & below the dams for fishing, too. Good fish can be caught from the shore - my biggest bass (50cm) was caught from the shore near the boatramp at Glenbawn!

I think it will be a bit hot for trout at this time of year! Might be other native fish around tho - bass etc.

To the east near Ebor, you can fish for that elusive rainbow or brown trout or visit the trout hatchery. Fishing guides organise tours into the remote gorge country, or you can canoe through Oxley Wild Rivers National Park to favourite cod holes (catch and release, of course!). These guides have a wealth of experience and will share their favourite fly fishing spots and organise your accommodation in remote wilderness lodges. The streams and river systems in the gorge country of Oxley Wild Rivers National Park provide a safe refuge for fish and have some of the best bass habitat in the country. It is well known for producing numbers of robust fish up to 2.5 kilograms.

Walcha's National Parks and World Heritage wilderness experiences are not to be missed. Oxley Wild Rivers National Park offers excellent camping facilities with many recently upgraded camping areas, including clean toilets and firewood for an open fire for those starry nights. Many day use areas now have free gas barbecues, picnic tables and well signposted walking tracks to let the visitor explore the many lookouts that offer spectacular views of Apsley and Tia Falls . Be sure to also visit Budds Mare for magnificent vistas over wilderness. Obtain a permit and key at NPWS or Apsley Motors before your 4 wheel drive expedition heads down to Riverside Camping Area on the Apsley River amidst the Macleay Gorges Wilderness or to historic Youdales Hut nestled deep in the gorge system on the picturesque Kunderang Brook.

Werrikimbe and Mummel Gulf National Parks also offer splendid camping at Mooraback and New Country Swamp with beautiful walks through rainforest or tall Eucalypt woodlands. Werrikimbe, Mummel Gulfand Cottan-bimbang National Parks also offer limited opportunities for car based touring, but a four wheel drive is advisable. Walcha's "Open Air Sculptures" have been created by local, national and internationally renowned artists, and are a major attraction for visitors to enjoy whilst stopping in this very picturesque town. Be sure to pick up a brochure from the Visitor Information Centre to walk around and enjoy these major artworks that have inspired people from all over the world to come and stay in Walcha.

Fishing season lures anglers from near and far to try their luck to catch the elusive brown and rainbow trout in the many western creeks and rivers that flow from the top of the Great Dividing Range. These rivers are annually stocked with trout and access onto private land is possible with permission from the landholders. Pick up a brochure from the Visitor Centre for more information.

Apparantly you can access Barrington Tops from the Scone side of the ranges - do you have a 4wd?? Might be required! We keep meaning to do an indepth drive up there, but am having too much fun fishing FOrster!

Hope the above helps!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Somehow I managed to convinve the :wife: to go on a road trip over xmas stopping at Barrington tops and eventually up to the Walcha/Armidale area.

Does anyone have suggestions for fishing locations up there? you hear all sorts of things about the trout and bass, but I haven't been able to get a straight answer, particularly about this time of year. We were also keen to do some camping.

Hi Cavanova,

You'll find many people are reluctant to divulge their "secret spots". Quite unreasonable really, as both bass and rainbow trout move up and down streams as the seasons change, to breed or in response to changes in food supply.

You'll also find that property owners who've had bad experiences with fishos who've camped and behaved irresponsibly, by leaving a mess, can be less than welcoming. But don't let that deter you. The reality is, however, you have to find your own spots and make your own contacts.

I fished the Namoi River west of Tamworth for cod and yellow belly with a mate last week and we did some exploring of the upper Manning River on our way back. The upper Manning is running very low and choked with weed, so if I were you, I'd look for bass further downstream.

Get yourself a good road map, and also a 1: 25 000 topographical map (BUNDOOK 9334-3-S) if you can afford it, and drive through Gloucester to Bundook. There's very nice river fishing from the bank all the way down to Charity Creek. You might even find somewhere good to camp.

After you've caught a few bass, you could drive up to Walcha via Nowendoc (it's a steep but good sealed road). The Cobrabald River (which you'll cross) is running well, although the McDonald River is a bit low. Both are noted trout streams. A friendly approach to the local property owners could provide access.

It's basically up to you, but I hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare