Engine Tilt During Storage

caine

good morning all,

i just washed the boat, and worked out that if i tilt the boat up against the wall in the garage ....i have heaps more room. which makes for a happy :wife:

is there anything wrong in keeping my new 3C 2 stroke yamaha 40hp trimmed all the way up and kept at this funny angle. or should an engine be kept verticly when not in use.

advise would be apreciated!

by the way I went out on the river at kissing point last night with the wife and 3yr old son and only got 1 legal bream :05: but ya get that when fishing with a 3 yr old in very windy conditions.

also i just got back from the whitsundays and have a ok trevally to post later

cheers

thanks robbie

Motor should be fully trimed in , two reasons , if the motor is up there is a possibility of water entering the cylinders via the ports , the other , the tilt rams should be fully retracted to prevent dirt getting onto the ram & potentially , over a period of time effecting the piston seals

Geoff

I was wondering the same thing as I have had my boat a short time now and I was having it tiilted up, but when I went to start it I had difficulties at times(it is a old motor,but purrs beuatifully) but I now leave it down and find it starts easier. Not knowing alot about boat motors myself and learning quickly, should you run the last of the fuel out of the engine by disconnecting the fuel line before storing even if your next trip is only a week away?

What about the lay of the gearbox oil with it tilted up?Will it effect anything?

Edited by SUFFO

I was wondering the same thing as I have had my boat a short time now and I was having it tiilted up, but when I went to start it I had difficulties at times(it is a old motor,but purrs beuatifully) but I now leave it down and find it starts easier. Not knowing alot about boat motors myself and learning quickly, should you run the last of the fuel out of the engine by disconnecting the fuel line before storing even if your next trip is only a week away?

What about the lay of the gearbox oil with it tilted up?Will it effect anything?

Suffo , Is it a 2s or 4s. If 2s do not run the fuel dry as the protective oil coating on the cylinder walls it removed causing premature ware

If storing the motor for a long period , say 4 months or more then it may be wise to drain the carby via the drain screw at the base of the bowl

Gearbox , can be stored in any position as the whole chamber is full , or at least up to the "Oil Fill" screw hole.

Geoff

Suffo , Is it a 2s or 4s. If 2s do not run the fuel dry as the protective oil coating on the cylinder walls it removed causing premature ware

If storing the motor for a long period , say 4 months or more then it may be wise to drain the carby via the drain screw at the base of the bowl

Gearbox , can be stored in any position as the whole chamber is full , or at least up to the "Oil Fill" screw hole.

Geoff

Cheers Geoff, 2 stroke 85 Johnson Javelin about early 70's but well looked after,doesn't miss a beat.I am lucky enough that the boat usually hits the water every few weeks during winter and with the hot days rolling in hopefully once every week or two.I have not left it to run out of fuel but thought it might pay to ask.

Thanks for the thumbs up.