Rod And Reel Combination

frankp

hi all

just want to get some advice on an all purpose rod and reel combination.

im looking at getting something that you can troll with in particular with a downrigger, bottom fish with (mainly for snapper) and just for general anchor fishing. ill probably be targeting kingies, dolphin fish and jewies and all within bays and just off the heads, so i guess nothing too heavy.

im thinking of maybe a baitrunner.

any suggestions would be helpful.

frankp :biggrin2:

hi all

just want to get some advice on an all purpose rod and reel combination.

im looking at getting something that you can troll with in particular with a downrigger, bottom fish with (mainly for snapper) and just for general anchor fishing. ill probably be targeting kingies, dolphin fish and jewies and all within bays and just off the heads, so i guess nothing too heavy.

im thinking of maybe a baitrunner.

any suggestions would be helpful.

frankp :biggrin2:

Whats your price range??

look at the ugly stick range 7-10 kg 6' long, i would go with a spin reel - maybe a okuma epix with baitrunner feature (lot a people don't like okuma - the epix isn't a bad reel - however i would not buy a okuma overhead) load the reel with 20lb braid - easily within your budget

I agree with Aron on the Ugly Stick advice. Maybe more 6'6" is a better legth for all purpose though. Even 7" would be ideal as you can still cast it easily. Uglys are very durable and powerful rods whilst still being quite sensitive for smaller fish. One point where i dont agree with Aron is Okuma. He's right about people not liking them and with good reason. Spend your money wisely and buy shimano or daiwa. The investment will pay itself off in the long run.

Try the thunnus or Baitrunner range. For all purpose rigs they are ideal. Live bait for jew, kings and tuna. Troll for any species and even cast and retrieve lures is no problem at all.

Ugly Stik $120 - $150

Baitrunner 4500 $190

Tuff Line 20lb $50

Hope this helps

I agree with Aron on the Ugly Stick advice. Maybe more 6'6" is a better legth for all purpose though. Even 7" would be ideal as you can still cast it easily. Uglys are very durable and powerful rods whilst still being quite sensitive for smaller fish. One point where i dont agree with Aron is Okuma. He's right about people not liking them and with good reason. Spend your money wisely and buy shimano or daiwa. The investment will pay itself off in the long run.

Try the thunnus or Baitrunner range. For all purpose rigs they are ideal. Live bait for jew, kings and tuna. Troll for any species and even cast and retrieve lures is no problem at all.

Ugly Stik $120 - $150

Baitrunner 4500 $190

Tuff Line 20lb $50

Hope this helps

I knew it wouldn't take long for a negative comment on okuma reels :074:

However, i have a epix and find it to be a good little reel - the thing i like most about it is its lifetime warranty, but as Kevvie said shimano reels are better and if your budget allows go with shimano - they do have a good 10 year warranty

I knew it wouldn't take long for a negative comment on okuma reels :074:

However, i have a epix and find it to be a good little reel - the thing i like most about it is its lifetime warranty, but as Kevvie said shimano reels are better and if your budget allows go with shimano - they do have a good 10 year warranty

ha ha ha... sorry mate i couldn't help myself. I own okuma too so its only outta experience.