Chasing Monster Jew From The Land

hottyscotty

i once had the opportunity to fish from a boat and i got lucky catching a 6kg Jewfish (wasn't even my intent). It was beginner's luck. Ever since then i wanted to catch a monster Jew. However i don't have a boat but i do fish quite a bit on land especially at Flint and Steel and Cowan.

My question is, is it even possible to chase these fish from land? I haven't even been able to catch a small one

Mate beach fishing can and will produce manyjews....

I never forget about 2 years ago at Narrabean beach....me and the mrs were eating some food at night and she goes " babe look at that fish" i saw an old bloke with a bucket so i walked up and looked in....i turn around and say to her " nothing but small fish babe" then she goes "not in the bucket, behind him".....The old bloke was dragging a massive jew with rope along the beach about 3 metres behind him.

This thing was massive...easily 1.30 meters......

AFter that i went back to that beach 10 times before i caught Jew there....i have seen that same guy there a few times and seen him hauling a simalr size fish twice now.

GO the beaches mate there are some really god jews there, Also try stanwell Park beach as i have seen many big jews caught there

Edited by netic

Well HottyScotty (can I just call you HS instead?) many claim to have landed big jews from shore, several on this site. I've been trying for a while now though and have yet to have any success.

Land-based options seem to mainly fall into one of the following:

1. Bait fishing off the beach, or

2. Flicking soft plastics in estuaries and harbours, or off break-walls and broken reef.

Bottom line is that jewies are not an easy fish to catch land-based. But then that's what makes the challenge so rewarding (as I understand it - once again I note that I've never actually caught one).

I would think that if you persist at Flint & Steel you will eventually get one though.

Guest danielinbyron

You can get lucky mate as you know , but in order to target these fish and catch them there will be a large learning curve .. hence best enjoy the journey rather then the destination... It may take time...

or it could be this afternoon :biggrin2:

cheers d

Mate,

The beach is the go for big Jewies off the shore. That one I'm holding in my pic I took off North Curl Curl. It went 20kg. Used a big slab of fresh mullet. They say they fish best on a full moon, rising tide, after dark but, this one was in July, no moon, falling tide, big surf. If they're there they are there, some dirty water helps too. try and find a lagoon which has recently opened from rain. Just have a bait in the water. You will have to contend with pickers at your bait and rays, sharks ete but eventually you'll hook up. I put in a lotttttttttt of hours to get him but, it seems once you break the voodoo they come much easier.

Good Luck.

Brian P.

Edited by Brian

Go the beach for a jewie. I got an 8kg one in august this year at Long reef beach. It took a salmon fillet that i caught the week before in the harbour and salted down. I was just about to give on a jewie from the beach and then bang - i was on. I will be going in the next prime jew time soon somewhere on the Northern Beaches. This time i will try live yellowtail and slab baits.

Guest danielinbyron

The common thread in this thread seems to be location... I have caught the majority of my land based jew on lures and almost all of them from rocky headlands.. I tried everything that i heard before coming up with a winning formular of knowing what type of water to look for , and for the most part, new moon , low tide ,deep hole but that may work here and not at the next headland..

Although they can be heavy and strong , hence check your knots, and they shake there head allot so good sharp hooks.. I think the hardest thing about catching Jew is finding them..I would love to catch them from the beach and save myself the gaffing drama and the heavy climb but I find the bicatch here intolerable. So many rays ..That may be in part whats due to our success with lures , the dog sharks and the rays don't go them..So it makes being patient easier..

My advice is try everything you see read or hear , until you come up with a winner..Stay at it , be patient and again.. enjoy the process . I want to catch a dinosaur "over 20kg"... And man so far i've put some hours in to that project..only to find myself not ready when they've come.. it'll happen one day..

cheers d.

Maroubra is the place I mainly fish for jews.

I haven't caught one yet after about 15 tries and every type of bait you can think of, but I'm told they are there on occasion. I reckon I hooked one during one of the many long nights, but it let go and I wasn't able to confirm. Whatever it was though it was bloody big.

The good thing about Maroubra is that there's plenty of ordinary fish to keep you busy while you wonder whether you'll ever catch a jew.

Most Sydney wharves hold jews, just have to fish the right place at the right tide with the right bait, mostly late at night after boat traffic is minimum.

But the beaches hold them also like has been said.

Maroubra is the place I mainly fish for jews.

I haven't caught one yet after about 15 tries and every type of bait you can think of, but I'm told they are there on occasion. I reckon I hooked one during one of the many long nights, but it let go and I wasn't able to confirm. Whatever it was though it was bloody big.

The good thing about Maroubra is that there's plenty of ordinary fish to keep you busy while you wonder whether you'll ever catch a jew.

where about of maroubra beach did u try?