Harbour Kings

netic

Hey guys and Gals,

Well after much deliberation me and the boys decided to go out for some kings in the harbour.

Called John and Downrigger and said lets go....2.00am at my place.....Wanted to have a early squidding session and then head for some kings at sun up....

Well the boys were late and we got to the ramp at around 4.00am....

Went to our usual squid spot and it was firing, had 12 squid in the boat but sunrise and we had dropped a few right at the boat so we could've ended up with 16......This seasons squid stocks have really been good

BY now the sun was up so we decided to head to a few markers to see if the kings were well into the harbour yet.

Tried the remaining cake and the old cake spot for nothing, but the good thing was no peckers were touching our squid, went to the yellow marker inside quanrentine and also got nothing.

Call was made to give MH a go, headed straight to the spot where we have been getting our kings of late and as soon as we passed the sounder showed fish, next 10 seconds ZZZZZZZZZ.......a double hook up.....quick fight with a bit of tangles on the riggers and 2 kings boated, one around 72cm and the other around 65cm.

Over the next 30 minutes we caught 3 more kings, 1 undersize and the other 2 were 65cm.....all these were tagged and released.

Then it went quiet so we decided to head back to the main harbour as JOhn wouldnt stop bitchin about how hungry he was...

Dropped a mate off at clifton Gardens (social location) to get us some food and we decided to go out for a fish while we waiting. anchored up and threw the squid down.......within 2 minutes the T-curve buckles and we are on....this one fights like a dream running around our anchor rope...i forget how frustrating that can be as i havent anchored for kings for well over a year....anyway i worked the bastard around and we boated a 75cm king......then just as we get the hook out of his mouth the other rod goes off...john grabs the rod and he's on....quick fight and he boats a 65cm king.....Once again both kings are tagged and released and then the baits go down.....within a minute the rod goes off again....1 min later we boat our first Samson Fish for the season.....only small at 45cm but none the less a good way to top off the day.....we decided to call it quits as our food is now ready and we go and get a feed and head home.

Great day on the water on a day that was supposed to be windy and cloudy but it turned out to be perfect, blue skyes, no wind and plenty of kings...what more could a guy ask for....

ALso great news that many people won't have to venture to far to get into some kings at the social.

The digital camera batteries went dead so these were taken by a phone so sorry about the quality.

VERY nice there oz great work on those kingys + the amber..

good to see them moving inside a little more now.

keep up the good work mate

your squid spot were you catching them in the dark??

cheers steve :1fishing1:

Edited by big_steve

all in all it was a good day.was good to spot a pod of dolphins swimming next to the wedding cakes.

also good to see dan from a shop out there fishing. hey i was ten mins late hehe.

and for bitching about being hungry hehe,what can i say ,no breaky and leaving at 2am .

who wouldnt be esp since it was 10.30 am.

still good to get out there with the guys,fun day, but must say downrigger and myself had no sleep at all the night before going fishing but hey thats fishing

Edited by Crazy John

Guest fishrunner

Great day there guy's well done :biggrin2:

Sounds as though the kings are well and truely on, gotta get out there soon, soo damn busy at the moment :(

Those pics of the 2 keepers arn't that bad, good to hear you all got fish :thumbup:

cheers

Well done Netic, nice report. Good to know the Kings in MH are not affected by the crazy fluctuations of temperature we have been having.

You must have a good squid spot, cause you seem to be getting them on a regular basis. I have never tried squidding before sun up, so will have to give it a try.

Nice pose with the samson, got that old western, bad guy type of look happening.

You and Kelvin sure have the MH Kings sussed out !!!! Good to see you tagging and releasing some of them.

VERY nice there oz great work on those kingys + the amber..

good to see them moving inside a little more now.

keep up the good work mate

your squid spot were you catching them in the dark??

cheers steve :1fishing1:

Mate we were squidding at night, I have been using this glow squid spray lately from japan, It is a glow spray but i cant see the glow, but obviously the squid can because it worked wonders. Didnt go 2 casts without catching a squid

Well done mate!!! Nice to see more kingies added to the tally!

Spewin i didnt get out today, i went for a bream flick instead, sometimes i ask myself why i bother!

Thats a nice looking samson, did that little fella take the whole squid?

DAN

Mate the little samson did take a whole squid but the one he took was only a smaller one, maybe 10cm

Edited by netic

Well done there fellas!!! I went out off shore jigging for kingies with a few fellow raiders yesterday for absolutely NOTHING!!!!! :05::05::05: 7-8 hours of winding, jigging, pumping for zero,zilch ..nothing. I reckon I have wound in about 10km of line onto my stella.

Wanted a squid BAD to send down. The highlight of the trip was the company and seeing a free swimming marlin. Hope to have better luck next time fellas...but congrats to you netic &co on some good kings. Where do you get this squid glow stuff?

I see you guys have a torsa in the background...Great reel.CHeers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Well done there fellas!!! I went out off shore jigging for kingies with a few fellow raiders yesterday for absolutely NOTHING!!!!! :05::05::05: 7-8 hours of winding, jigging, pumping for zero,zilch ..nothing. I reckon I have wound in about 10km of line onto my stella.

Wanted a squid BAD to send down. The highlight of the trip was the company and seeing a free swimming marlin. Hope to have better luck next time fellas...but congrats to you netic &co on some good kings. Where do you get this squid glow stuff?

I see you guys have a torsa in the background...Great reel.CHeers Kelvin

Mate bad luck on the jigging session, you must have sore arms

Good eyes there mate, My mate downrigger just got the torsa and she got christened yesterday, He has matched it with a Jigwrex so it is an absolutely perfect outfit, It better be at $1250+...when his wife finds out how much it cost him we will be sending her to you as it was your reccomendations that convinced him to buy it.

Mate i get the Glow stuff from a local supplier, if you like i can buy a bottle for you and mail it out to you and you can tell me what you think....i personally think this stuff works great....even during the day

I am sure downrigger will be absolutely happy with the way the outfit works. You really won't have anything else after fishing with it.

My arms are Ok. Do enough jigging to keep in shape. I don't know about some of the other guys on the boat. What is more disturbing and hurtful is the lack of fish!!! All that effort for nothing is something that hurts mentally. My wife laughed at me for hours with her friends last night. Became the butt of all her jokes....gotta get out on wednesday and get a few to redeem myself! Cheers Kelvin

I am sure downrigger will be absolutely happy with the way the outfit works. You really won't have anything else after fishing with it.

My arms are Ok. Do enough jigging to keep in shape. I don't know about some of the other guys on the boat. What is more disturbing and hurtful is the lack of fish!!! All that effort for nothing is something that hurts mentally. My wife laughed at me for hours with her friends last night. Became the butt of all her jokes....gotta get out on wednesday and get a few to redeem myself! Cheers Kelvin

Mate just show your wife's friends the kings you have been getting of late and that should stop the laughing

According to my wife and her friends, you are only as good as your last outing! So they can joke about fishing at my expense. More incentive to go out fishing!! CHeers Kelvin

Mate you Lucky Kelvin you have the sport down packed. Im going to try this Middle Head this Saturday coming for Kings. Buying a Downrigger on Thrusday. Do you have any spots in Middle Harbour which are worth trying for the first King in 2006?

hey netic

well done fellas, as always exceelent catches, just wanted to know, wether you got most of those kingies by anchoring or downrigging? did you use the livies whole or did you cut strips?

just curious.

good onya fellas

cheers kilp