Servicing Reel

stylo

OK don't laugh.

I got sand in my reel when I dropped it in the sand to grab my flattie to make sure he did not get back in to the water.

Took it apart when I got home, but could not put it back together.

Took it to the shop I bought it from and they are gonna send it away to get it fixed by the guy that services them things.

My question is how much does a normal service cost and what do they do ? I can't imagine fixing my reel would cost anymore than to service one ?

What would you do when sand gets in the reel anyway?

Thanks guys.

Edited by stylo

Guest Big-Banana

Mate its happened to me as well. I opened up a Penn 330Gti and springs and things went everywhere. I took it too my tackle shop and he serviced it for $15. I don't bother doing my own maintenance anymore. I'm not sure what they do apart from grease up and lubricate bits. But it always comes back like new.

Mate its happened to me as well. I opened up a Penn 330Gti and springs and things went everywhere. I took it too my tackle shop and he serviced it for $15. I don't bother doing my own maintenance anymore. I'm not sure what they do apart from grease up and lubricate bits. But it always comes back like new.

Awesome. Looks like I'm on the right track then. Obviously not all tackle shops do it in-house. My shop (name not disclosed) has had it for 1 whole week, and will need another week to get done (as the guy who normally picks up the reels for servicing was not on schedule.

Where do you take yours for servicing ? Noticed you live nearby

Les

Guest danielinbyron

ditto : with the calcutta , open it up and ba doyng tiny springs and little plastic wheels ..what made it worse was that i got it 2nd hand and it wasn't quite right when i got it...then took it to some local guy who said no problem ... a week later he confessed ...problem..

Then I sent it to shimano in sydney.... came back like it had been in the hands of a surgeon ..Better than new they threw on the new handle...

My understanding is that there are some guys who know there stuff who work independantly, but most manufacturers have a rep that stock parts somewhere, you can mail the reel and pay return postage parts and labor independantly ..

ie in my case dunphys for shimano..and thats what those guys do full time for a living...and they seem to be real good at it.the $$$ were reasonable as well.

for spinning reels though i just pull them apart and degrease them wash the bearings out in a bowl of petrol then innox regrease and put back together no problem.