South West Rocks

UOMESX

Hi, my favourite place to fish would have to be south west rocks and i have fished there for 5 years in a row now ( annual fishing trip ) and i usually always end up going for the big jewies but have not been lucky enough to catch one... So this year i am determined but the thing that always slows me down up there is catching the live bait... so i waswondering if any1 on here fishes up there ... and would be able to tell me a spot to pick up some squid or pike or any other live bait that jewies like. I have no access to a boat ( not yet anyway) :thumbdown: I will be using a sliding snell rig with 60 lb leader although not sure how much wieght i will need if any or how long the leader should be? if anyone has ideas or tricks would love to hear about them as you can see i am quite a novice when it comes to jewies.Hopefully not for long :1prop:

anyways hope to hear back soon thanks heaps

G'day mate

I have fished the breakwall at SWR for jew a few times..... Ive hooked a couple of big fish but haven't landed one as yet :1badmood:

We have never had any problems picking up pike off the wall. We usually just jig small soft plastics down the face of the wall or run a hard body along the wall with a really eractic retrive. Other wise there are plenty of mullet in back creek..

The local co-op is also worth a look if they have fresh mulletr or tailor....

The only other adcise I can give you if you are fishing from the wall is fish heavy..... I have been rubbed out there a few times on 15kg.... It just didnt have the stopping power

I've had some luck off the wall as well. Have only used live mullet that I caught out of Back Creek and then pinned through the nose. Hooks usually depend on the size of the bait, as big as he can carry. I only fish 9kg on a 13 foot beach rod and 650 Alvey, 60lb mono leader about 1m with a good sized swivel. Conditions are the most important but, if they are kind to you you should hookup. I get as close to the end of the wall as I can, with the incoming tide coming to stop. Fish as the water slows, which it does and then sits for a while. I prefer dusk/dark. No sinker, just gently cast the livie out into the middle and let him free swim. You have to maintain as little pressure as possible on the line just to keep it off the rocks, without forcing him in and being able to feel that fear vibration as something lurks under it. You'll notice the difference between him just swimmming and quivering (poor little buggers), its like a battery operated toy when he's about to get hit. You will most likely have to wind and retrieve a few times so gentle casts are the key, so you don't kill him or fick him off. You will also need a long handled gaf and if possible a buddy to help. Watch the rats on the wall they get into everything when you turn your back.

Hope this helps. Fishing break walls can be very tricky and risky as a slip and fall can really hurt or worse. Stay off the wet rocks as much as possible.

Good Luck.

Brian P.