Help

caine

hi

can some one help me out with some advice on cleaning and cooking blue swimmers.

and also

how to prepair octopie. i have tried it before, i was advised to bang it against a rock for 1/2 hr, which i did but it still tasted like rubber

cheers

caine

Yes smash the octopus on the rocks for about 15-20 minutes. Then you need to splash some water on the rock and rub the octopus on the rock like you would if you where polishing the floor with a rag.

You should start to see the colour of the octopus get patchie just like when you have sun burn and start to peel and lose your colour. You know the octopus is ready when you can grad two legs and pull them apart and the webbing inbetween tears easily. Dont forget to pull the hood/head inside out and pull out its inners. You just need to put your fingers in the openning and literally turn it inside as you would a sock.

Now its ready to be eaten. Make sure you spend the time to do it properly. It will be the difference between a beautiful octopus and a rubber tyre.

cheers

b

• 4 months later...

hi

can some one help me out with some advice on cleaning and cooking blue swimmers.

and also

how to prepair octopie. i have tried it before, i was advised to bang it against a rock for 1/2 hr, which i did but it still tasted like rubber

cheers

caine

Cooking Blue Swimmers

I have 3 ways of doing this

First method

Fill a very large saucepan with water ad a teaspoon of salt and bring to the boil

After putting your crab’s in the freezer for ½ an hour (this will kill them)

Drop into the boiling water and boil for 8 to 10 minutes depending on the size

Remove from water and drop into cold water to cool down, (if you don’t do this it will continue to cook in the hot shell)

Some people would also add some sugar to the water as well

Second method STEAMING

In a 12” sauce pan place ¼ cup of water ¼ cup of lemon juice and some

Crushed garlic and Chili (or you can use chili powder if you wish)

Bring to the boil place crabs in and put the lid in the saucepan and turn the hotplate down, again cook for 8 to 10 minutes, again put in cold water to stop the cooking process

Microwave

Clean crabs (UN Cooked) and halve

In a Microwave dish put ¼ cup of lemon juice and 1/8th cup of water ad 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic, 2 chilies 2 teaspoons of olive oil, salt and some 1 teaspoon of chili powder put crabs halves in and toss in the mixture place lid on dish and cook on high for 3 minutes, again cool immediately (put in freezer for about 10 minutes)

Cleaning

Turn the crab upside down lift the flap on the underside of the body place your thumb at the rear of the shell and lift (the top of the shell will come off) under running water wash out the guts and remove the gills you should be left with nothing but delicious white meat. (If the flesh is powdery the crab has been overcooked)

I used to be able to eat seafood with no problems but ever since i got nipped by one on my finger I have become allergic to a lot of seafood. I have tried to eat prawns and crabs but will almost immediately get a rash on the back of my hands. It's sort of like the revenge of the crab.

Fill a very large saucepan with water ad a teaspoon of salt and bring to the boil

After putting your crab’s in the freezer for ½ an hour (this will kill them)

Drop into the boiling water and boil for 8 to 10 minutes depending on the size

Remove from water and drop into cold water to cool down, (if you don’t do this it will continue to cook in the hot shell)

I think 10 minutes for blue swimmers is too long. Even large ones should be cooked for only 7 minutes.

If you leave them on for longer than that they become "watery"

6-7 mins for blue swimmers is ample

Dave