Best Sashimi Fish?

Laredo

I,d be real careful eating any raw fish. My microbiology lecturer when I was at university warned me off it years ago. Maybe she was a bit over the top, but I have never eaten raw fish since despite loving it. Maybe she was just taliking about the Sushi bar variety that has been sitting at 12 degg c for 6 hours. I know the Japanese eat it but rememember they also eat Puffers so I don't rely on their word.

Davo

I,d be real careful eating any raw fish. My microbiology lecturer when I was at university warned me off it years ago. Maybe she was a bit over the top, but I have never eaten raw fish since despite loving it. Maybe she was just taliking about the Sushi bar variety that has been sitting at 12 degg c for 6 hours. I know the Japanese eat it but rememember they also eat Puffers so I don't rely on their word.

Davo

yes if prepared incorrectly it is a health hazard, it must be stored at the correct temp. usually we just eat it freshly caught a bit of alcohol (sake) or vinegary liquid helps cure the fish slightly and kills of some bacteria, you need the right dressings and clean prep otherwise there could be trouble.

Guest IFishSick.

So what preperation are we talking here to get rid of the bacteria and worms they carry?

I'm keen to try some as I've seen the guys on 2 Dan's Fishin' tucking into some squid and they loved it.

So what sort of things would I need to do to the fish before eating it?

ive recall sharky saying bonnies ARE GREAT :074:

steve

You cant beat Bonito, but the secret is BBQ shapes but they do taste better with soya source. Also dont try and eat a bonito Eyeball sushi style, if you must try it cut off the retina first :1prop:

i have yet to try mahi mahi could be good, and raw squid i havent tried although i have heard alot on how good pickled squid and baby octopi are!! pickled in quality white vinegar with a clove of garlic,, pepper bit of olive oil and paprika or chilli. i might try it next time i get a few squid although not confident bout it!!

cheers pk