Botany Bay

Davemmm

Top of the tide, anchored on the flats in 6ft of water drowning poddies.

15ft from the boat a school of bait breaks the surface followed by a rather large splash.

With only a couple of poddies in the bucket I figured a tailor would make for some nice fresh bait.

I only had a sp rigged so I figured that will do.

First cast - nothing.

The fish are still breaking the surface and now Hitchcock's birds have arrived and are doing some serious diving.

Second cast - dreaded braid tangle.

I sat down to pull the mess apart and just as I grabbed the first loop the lure gets whacked. Fortunately the braid pulled over my finger because the speed it took off at might have left me with a serious slice. Through some sort of miracle the braid pulled straight with no knots and started to dissapear off my reel.

This was a serious fish and it was going that hard the drag seemed like it was about to smoke up.

Thats when I stood up and found a treble hook I had dropped previously. I sat down again to pull it out of my heal.

Thats when I remembered I had the kettle on the burner. Fortunately the boiling water missed me.

Meanwhile this monster is stripping a mile of line off and then it finally came to a halt. Beauty I thought, Ive turned the barstard.

I started winding him back in when about 20m from the boat there was a splash and a big swirl and he was off again.

This time when he came to a stop I wound like a demon in the hope that Neptune had let go and I was about to boat a monster.

No such luck. He took off at an angle and with the drag wound up as much as I dared I once again had to wait for him to stop. Not so far this time.

Then the other rod doubles over and almost goes swimming. I jumped up to grab the rod and stood straight on a little UHT milk container that burst and shot milk up the leg of my shorts.

Back on the big one.

Ive got one foot holding the butt of one rod down, blood coming out of the other foot and milk soaking my appendages!!!!!!!!!

I regained the majority of my line and had the Loch Ness Monster almost at the boat. After what I went though I desperately wanted this fish.

Then he sighted the boat took off under the anchor rope, back over the top and ..........ping...................... GAWN

The only consolation was that the other rod held a 48cm flattie.

Rebaited, boiled the kettle again and sat back with a cup of tea to think of what might have been.

Edited by Flightmanager

Sorry to hear about your tough day Dave, but I have to admit, I was chuckling more and more the further I read.

It was like reading one of those Murphy's Law posters. :074:

Bad luck on not even getting a look at the monster that had you doing calesthenics in the boat.

The flattie was a nice consolation prize though.

Better luck next outing eh?

Cheers,

Pete.

It was 9.30 coming up to dead tide.

The bay was glassy at that stage.

2 metres of water over the top of patchy sand/weed.

No public hints though ive been getting too many bream there in the last few weeks to let the world know.

Ive got absolutely no idea what it was. When it broke the surface it was too far away to identify it.

It was fun though.

What a cracker of a report there Dave,

Funnily that will now probably be a trip that you are always going to remember fondly in years to come.

Bad luck mate.

We have a rule on my boat. If its time for cofee then its all rods in. Cant remember the number of times weve sat for snack and cofee and the rods go berserk.

cheers

b

U would think if that was the case then maybe rods should stay in,

and coffee time should happen more often.

penguin