Narrabeen To Maroubra To Captain Cook Bridge

hottyscotty

Today i thought i'd give beach fishing a try so i headed to North Narrabeen beach. I got there at 6am and was already put off by the amount of surfers, so then i went around the back and tried the lake entrance. Only managed to catch some small fish so threw them all back in. Parking meter was up so i left. Still thinking i need to do some beach fishing, i thought i head somewhere closer to home and went to Maroubra beach. Absolutely clueless and had no idea to really pick out a gutter, i headed south of the beach near the rocks. Casted out 3 times, twice retrieved a snag and the final cast i had no choice but to cut the line. Right there i gave up!!! During the time i was there, swimmers were telling me how people were often catching big fish. So obviously i ask them where, they all responded north of the beach. Its also another reason i gave up so soon, thinking i was in the wrong position the whole time. Plus i couldn't be bothered moving up north :1prop:

Shortly after leaving i headed to Fishfinder and checked out the store (seeing its mentioned a bit on this forum). There were some DVDs i wanted to get but they seem a bit more expensive than what i remembered so i skipped that but bought a pack berkley grubs and squidgie wrigglers.

I wanted to head further south to port hacking to try my new SP's on bream, but i've been driving all day so i just stopped at Captain Cook bridge. I mainly just wanted to test them out. i did manage to catch some, but didn't like the size so i released them all.

Another wasted day of fishing! I guess thats the path we all have to take. Would anyone like to help me out on beach fishing? i'll be trying it again this christmas week but i can only see it as a fruitless exercise. maybe i should stick to the estuaries. :(

bad luck on the fishing mate, but i wouldn't call it a wasted day.

firstly, what kind of gear are you using for beach?

usually, you just look for the darkest water on the beach, and thats usually a gutter, or deeper water.

i would also recommend (if you arnt already) using a large star sinker which helps your bait from moving around to much.

and which bait(s) were you using?

G'day Scotty ,

Some days , fishing is a bit of a lottery , the fish arent there / biting / wrong part of the tide , phase of the moon , holding your tongue the wrong way etc. The best way to increase your chances of winning that lottery is to ask questions . Lots of them. Do you want to target a particular species ? Bait or lure? Day or night ? Beach , boat or estuary? You will find that rather than a " shotgun" approach , fine tuning your attack , will give you better results. Find out what your target fish likes to eat. Where it hangs out. Yes , even who its friends are.

Having said all of that , some days , it just doesnt happen , but keep at it , one day it will happen , and the bad days become a distant memory. Im sure some of the other Raiders will be only too glad to give you some tips !!!

Ross

I've got a 12' rod with a 6000 size reel. Unheard of brands. I didn't spend too much just in case i didn't like it. I'll prolly get better equipment if i can get the hang of it.

From a previous topic i posted asking whether it was possible to to get jewfish land based and most said try beach fishing. So the fish i'm targeting is jewfish. But today i wasn't targeting anything because i wanted to get a feel for beach fishing. I just wanted to see if i could pick out a gutter and cast a massive rod. It was all learning for me. But today it felt like i was going to an exam all unprepared. didn't felt like i learnt anything.

I think i'll be using baits because if its anything like estuary fishing using SPs, i don't want to be casting that thing continuously

Edited by hottyscotty

find the highest point and look for darker water, where there is whitewater there is shallow water.

another sign of a gutter is where waves break out from the shore and begin to form up again and then break on the shore. this area is usually a gutter or deeper water where fish travel and feed along the edges.

Jewfish are a very difficult species to figure out i suggest trying the bread and butter species (whiting, bream, slamon, tailor) first and setting out a larger bait for a jewfish on another outfit. this will leads to more productive sessions and better rewards do s search on the net and read up on the rigs and gear to use in the surf and you should be in good position.

surf fishing is a very rewarding method yet it needs practice and time. beachworms are a gun bait and learning to catch them is another art in itself but once again very rewarding. keep at it and get in as many sessions as you can and youll love it!! theres nothing like beaching a big jew on the sand!!

cheers pk

Its a bit painful, but try to get there before it gets light if you can. I tend to find the salmon and tailor will stop biting when the sun comes up. Use pillies on ganged hooks in the gutters and you should do ok.

Whiting should be around even when the sun comes up, use worms on the lightest gear you can get away with and dont be afraid to drop the bait in very close.

Scottie - I fish Maroubra beach all the time for whiting, bream, flatties, tailor and salmon. Current strike rate is probably around 65% (i.e. 35% of the time I come home empty handed). Have been chasing a jew off that beach for a couple of years now without success, but I'll get one don't you worry about that.

If you ever want company fishing Maroubra then pm me and I'll be happy to go for a fish and share what little I know about the place. Am out of town until Jan 8th so it'll have to be after that date.

Good luck, and keep persisting with the Bra. There are good fish to be had there, particularly at night.

Scottie - I fish Maroubra beach all the time for whiting, bream, flatties, tailor and salmon. Current strike rate is probably around 65% (i.e. 35% of the time I come home empty handed). Have been chasing a jew off that beach for a couple of years now without success, but I'll get one don't you worry about that.

If you ever want company fishing Maroubra then pm me and I'll be happy to go for a fish and share what little I know about the place. Am out of town until Jan 8th so it'll have to be after that date.

Good luck, and keep persisting with the Bra. There are good fish to be had there, particularly at night.

hmmm interesting...maybe i should get a beach rod since i live just a few hundred metres from maroubra beach.......