Which Fishfinder

timphim1

I am looking to replace my 11 yr old Hummingbird 3D wide fishfinder with something newer....need all the help I can get to chase those Kingies! Any suggestions are welcomed on the best value for money, colour vs BW, best usability of all the brands and models out there. Has fishfinder technology changed that much in 11 yrs?

May also consider integrating it with GPS/ plotter.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

The biggest change you will notice is in the Pixil count, yours may be as low as 128, the good units now run 480.

This means a lot more information can be seen on the screen. The second, and some may disagree, is colour. Much easier to read. Screen brightnes is another, I had an eagle 3D I now have a Lowrance 107cdf, the screen is very bright even in direct sunlight. The 3D was good when following a drop off but only worked with fish id, so a lot of valuable information wasn't available.

Howard.

The biggest change you will notice is in the Pixil count, yours may be as low as 128, the good units now run 480.

This means a lot more information can be seen on the screen. The second, and some may disagree, is colour. Much easier to read. Screen brightnes is another, I had an eagle 3D I now have a Lowrance 107cdf, the screen is very bright even in direct sunlight. The 3D was good when following a drop off but only worked with fish id, so a lot of valuable information wasn't available.

Howard.

Thanks Howard, I am considering the Lowrance x102c. Any regrets with your sounder?

I have an open tinny and the gps combo units at the time had external aerials, so i didn't bother thinking that I may buy a gps that I can use in the car and boat. Some of the units now have inbuilt aerials, If I were to buy one now thats what I would buy. Any regrets, only that I dot get to use it enough!

Howard.