Botany 28/12/06

mottyman

Well guys and girls, what can I say? Today we had of the best days out of Botany we’ve ever had!!!

Before I start the report proper I want to say a big THANK YOU to Sean from Wattos Fishing Tackle who hooked me up with some great lures. Black Magic Jet Heads in Lumo and “Burple”. They did the trick beautifully today and took the majority of the fish on the troll.

THANKS WATTO!!!!!

Here’s how it happened.

Geoff and I were joined by his son in law Stephen today which was great. He picked a great day to tag along.

We were on the water a bit before 6am and headed strait to the heads and north.

At Bear Island we put out a spread of 3 lures. I had out a Lumo Jet Head and a Xmas tree and Geoff had another Lumo on his outfit with Stephen doing the honours while Geoff drove. All the lures were at different distances from the boat but all pretty close as well. We didn’t have to wait very long. :biggrin2:

Rounding a little point on the way north in pretty close my heavy spin rod went off. First fish of the day on the troll and things were looking good. After some great acrobatics we netted a very health Salmon. He took the Xmas tree.

On we trolled and we were on again. This time it was kings. Rippa – found them. I can’t exactly remember how many we got but the Lumo’s did the trick on the kings. We had double hook ups and a triple hookup boating two with mine throwing the hooks at the boat which was great fun. They were mostly rats but also one good one over 60cm so we had a legal king on ice – you bloody beauty. :yahoo:

At this point we decided to head out to the 50 metre mark and look for some big flatties. The action out there was pretty slow and the drift and current really fast but we managed one very nice flatty before deciding to troll back south.

We made it back to the southern shoreline of the bay and headed south before the action started again.

It was a bit later in the day by now so I changed to the “Burple” jet head and first up was a Bonito. :biggrin2:

We tried bottom bashing at a spot off the light house but the wind was up by now and the current was running so fast we couldn’t hold bottom. It was getting uncomfortable so we decided to troll back to the bay and drop the pick on Watts Reef. Good call!!!!

As we were heading back the kings got stuck in again. They were thick following the hooked fish right up to the boat – chaos ensued :074: More double hookups and two more good sized kings which were quickly dispatched to the ice. You rippa – 3 keeper kings in amongst a whole heap of rats but we were stoked. :yahoo:

Once at Watts, we got a thick burley trail going and the fish were coming thick and fast. Here we got good sized bream and a really good flatty which we put on ice with the rest, a very large squid which Geoff was very happy about, trevally and millions of undersized snapper and some that were just legal (which we sent back).

Just as we were about to leave Watts as the wind was now pounding in, I sneakily peeled another prawn and floated it down the trail while Geoff and Stephen organised things in preparation to move on. You know how they say just one more cast? Well, this time it worked!! :biggrin2:

The bait was smashed and after a very good fight on my brand new Shimano Squidgy Snapper Spin rod I boated a beautiful Red Morwong. That was a big surprise in there but a very welcome one. That’s a PB Morwong for me!! :yahoo:

From there we moved over to the 3rd runway and got the burley happening again. Nothing much doing. A few small reddies and bream but by this point we’d had the day out of our lives.

We decided we’d had enough of the wind and headed in for a clean up and a beer…

Here’s some pics from today. I’m still buzzing after a fantastic day.

post-237-1167299340_thumb.jpg

post-237-1167299364_thumb.jpg

post-237-1167299384_thumb.jpg

post-237-1167299415_thumb.jpg

post-237-1167299527_thumb.jpg

post-237-1167299553_thumb.jpg

post-237-1167299572_thumb.jpg

See you all at the king social!!!!!!!! :biggrin2:

Cheers

David.

Well done David. That looks like a top day on the water to me.

A PB thrown in for good measure as well as a good feed of kings. I can see why you have that

big smile on your face.

Those Watto's lures sure were the goods today!

Congrats on a great day and thanks for a great report. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words fellas. It was a great day and I can't wait to get out and do it all again (fingers crossed) :biggrin2:

Harka - here's some pics of the lures from Wattos. 1st is the "Lumo", second is the "Burple". Sean rigged them for me as well which was great. :thumbup:

post-237-1167367005_thumb.jpg

post-237-1167367031_thumb.jpg

Thanks again guys.

Cheers

David.