Mh Kings

OneLastCast

Hi Raiders,

Day started early - on the water at 3:30am with my brother and bro-in-law.

Jigged for squid till 8am :1yikes: by then had 4 in the live bait tank and lost a couple next to the boat. Also had a few strike the jig but not hook up. Had 2 surprise catches of BIG cuttlefish! Kept one and let the other go. Ate it tonight and it wasn't too bad at all. I prefer nice little calamari squid though. It was a little tough compared.

Anyway, downrigged a number of markers and points in the harbour for naught. So moved into middle harbour. Managed to find a bunch of kings eventually and they were ready to play ball! Over the next couple of hours got 5 in the boat, 2 over legal at 75 and 80cm :yahoo: , and another nice fish managed to wrap the line all around the prop! It struck as the DR bomb was being lowered and must have run around the back of the boat. After assessing the damage (broken rod tip, tangled braid and jammed prop) and preparing to cut the line and clean up we were surprised to find the fish was still attached to the other end so we carefully handlined it in (wrapping the braid in a wet towell - that stuff will cut you to the bone real quick if not careful). Got it to the boat but the hooks pulled trying to net it! Oh well - next time.

Was a GREAT day on the water. Squid were hard to come by (one an hour with 3 of us squidding) but it came good in the end with me getting a new PB by 10cm (75cm fish) and brother getting his first legal king at 80cm! Also it was the first fish on the DR (a handmade dodgy job that I made myself 5 years ago). Gotta love that :yahoo::thumbup:

Catch you on the water,

OLC

post-739-1167389745_thumb.jpg

post-739-1167389756_thumb.jpg

post-739-1167389783_thumb.jpg

Another pic of one of the mega cuttlies

post-739-1167390029_thumb.jpg

It always pisses me off that when the kings are on the squid are not and vice versa! :05: Anyway it sounds like a great day. Getting a strike on your bait as you feed it out is very common. I ALWAYS wear gloves when fishing for kings as I have been almost amputated by braid!!! Cheers Kelvin

Thanks for the tip Kelvin. I will have to get me a pair of gloves. The power of the King is not to be messed with :1yikes: And they will take a live squid from off the surface no problem.

Me and my crew are still getting the hang of this DR caper so it was a bit of a farce at times. But we got it sorted in the end.

It was amazing how the king attached to the prop would just quietly cruize along with us until some heavy pressure was exerted, or it saw the boat. It came along with us drifting as we were trying to get sorted for a good few minutes. Funny fish the king.

Well done, Very nice Kings....Shame about the prop incident but it happens to us all.....

Shame about the lack of squid, i havent been in the harbour for a while now i might have to give it a go as MH seems to be doing very well.

Once again Well Done

Got it to the boat but the hooks pulled trying to net it! Oh well - next time.

Dont you just hate that!!!

Well done on the kingies mate!!

If possible, could you post up a few pics of your homemade job?, i'm very interested in attempting to make one :biggrin2:, however i've never used or seen one and dont wanna spend big bucks on one.. :biggrin2:

Once again, nice fish!

DAN

Dan (Luringbream) here are some shots of the DR

It was pretty easy to make. Just got an old centrepin reel, attached it to the bottom half of an old rod, put about 30m of venetian blind cord on it, then 1.5m of wire with bomb on the bottom and release clip about half a meter up.

Some other tips:

• I have marked the cord so I know what depth the bomb is at.
  • Lowering and raising the bomb must be done by hand (so it would be no good using wire or braid instead). The cord does drag a bit in the water so you get a bit of a belly in the line.
  • You can see in the last photo I put it in a rod holder in the middle of the boat with an occy strap to hold it in place and to stop the reel spinning.

The most expensive thing was the lead bomb (only using a small one though)

I made it about 5 years ago and total cost was under $50 as most of the stuff I had laying about.

post-739-1167441277_thumb.jpg

post-739-1167441267_thumb.jpg

post-739-1167441286_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip Kelvin. I will have to get me a pair of gloves. The power of the King is not to be messed with :1yikes: And they will take a live squid from off the surface no problem.

Me and my crew are still getting the hang of this DR caper so it was a bit of a farce at times. But we got it sorted in the end.

It was amazing how the king attached to the prop would just quietly cruize along with us until some heavy pressure was exerted, or it saw the boat. It came along with us drifting as we were trying to get sorted for a good few minutes. Funny fish the king.

That is the way my sons catch kings most of the times. If they don't get pulled too hard, they in turn don't pull too hard!!! Otherwise my 6 and 4 year olds will have a real hard time pulling them in.

If the fish is well hooked, I just lead them in and they are pretty docile especially when it is time to net or gaff them. BUt if you get them on a jig for instance, it is after burners all the way! CHeers Kelvin