Hmmm.....wood Rot.

Shark Bait

I've got a haines 445C. I've just bought a new motor. When I took the old one off I figured I'd take the aluminium skirt off that runs along the top of my transom. Left of the motor on the highest section of the transom, some treasure has ground the corner of the transom off down to the wood to fit the aluminium skirt on. Water has got in & about a square foot of my transom goes "Thud" instead of "Tap" when I strike it with my fist. Where do I go from here? Has anyone had any experiance with a good long term repair done on a glass transom? I don't want to leave it cause the rest of the boat is spotless & I don't want another boat, I want this one.

i think that means good bye transom. I would start looking for a good fibreglass worker who does these kinds of things..i don't think just the top part can be fixed..

as the owner of a older half cabin fibreglass, i am very worried i will find the same thing as you. Hopefully it does not come soon

Shark bait I think youll find that it can be repaired. Try a place over at Taren point

I think the name is Splits fibreglass,Also Ive read plenty of articles about replacing floors,stringers,transoms,

Im preety sure just about anything is fixable.

Hope this helps

It is like concrete cancer!

Get onto it ASAP otherwise it will cost you plenty of $$$$$$$$$$.

Don't put it off until winter. The guy at Taren Point did some fibreglass repairs on an old Steber that I owned a long time ago now. His work is good and resonably priced.

My advice is to leave it to the professionals. I know there is alot of articles in magazines telling you how to do it in principle, but fibreglassing is a real art. It will be money well spent, ecspecially if you intend on keeping the boat for a while yet.

Good luck.

Nathan.

Thanks guys, keep it coming. Any info will help. For starters, I'll look for Splits Fiberglass & have a word to them. I'll also show the guys fitting my new motor & see what they say. I'd be really interested to hear from some body who has had a major repair done & kept the boat long term after the repair. I'm wondering if I'd be likely to have on going problems. I'm happy to spend money fixing it, I just don't want to throw good money after bad.

If you have any idea that your transom may have rot , get it checked straight away. Rotten timber has as much strength as a wet kleenex , you might gun the motor one day , and pull the whole transom off ( and there isnt a bilge pump in creation that is gonna pump out that much water!) .

Working with fibreglass involves highly toxic materials , 2 pack resins , gel coat , and as such requires special techniques and equipment.

Ross

The repair is likely to be stronger than the original transom. Manufacturers cut a lot of corners building boats. For a start they usually just use staples to hold the layers of plywood together. A good repairer will laminate the layers together. Also if the wood is treated it is unlikely to rot (ie with a penetrating resin like Evadure). Most boat builders don't treat the wood and take little effort to seal up drain holes, etc, to keep the water out.

Mate i know you pain i just recently brought a boat only to find the transom needed to be done after :ranting2:. Took it too a fibreglass repairer in riverstone, they do a lot of repair work for blakes marine and club marine. I cost me 2k with floor and new non slip paint :1wallbash: ill show some picks of what they had to do to repair it

post-1489-1167632860_thumb.jpg

Mate i know you pain i just recently brought a boat only to find the transom needed to be done after :ranting2:. Took it too a fibreglass repairer in riverstone, they do a lot of repair work for blakes marine and club marine. I cost me 2k with floor and new non slip paint :1wallbash: ill show some picks of what they had to do to repair it

Thanks, that'd be good. It's Blakes that I bought my new motor off. My boat is booked in for January 12 to have it fitted but I can't see that happening. It'll be good to see how your boat goes before I commit to any repairer.

The photo looks like my boat, same colour & all. Interesting to see it without the skin.

sorry to hear about your bad luck, what kind of boat and motor were on it?