Light Tackle King

Guest Saqa

G'day raiders

Plan was to fish the nepean for bass but at the last minute grabed the demo KR PELAGIC L and pinched a couple of homemade sp's made by Haraka from George S, loaded up the rumboat and went to Pittwater to have another crack at the kings.

First up trolled the 3-4 metre contour from Bayview to West head with deep divers with out a touch, not a single Flatty around. It turned into quite a frusturating experience with the lure/line getting fouled up on the floating blades of seagrass..........looks like the wash from all the increased boat activity is taking toll on the grass beds. Highlight of the morning was coming into veiw of a flock of fairy penguins frolicking in powerboat wakes.

post-1888-1167492382_thumb.jpg

Giving up on the Flatties made my way over to the 'supermarkets' (I think its called that, see pic) where I buzzed the moored crafts with Haraka's homemade plastics....I dread to think what he oozes in the moulds in his :drunk: state. As the area is quite large I did some close laps of the vessels to see if I could locate any bait balls or fish. Under one boat looked very promising so I positioned the rumboat nicley and fired out a cast next to the hull, let it sink for a moment and did a quick short snap with the rod tip which makes the plastics tail flick. Two flicks and I was on!

Now the rod I was using is one of my Pelagic L ( actually the prototype with the split butt and finger notch). This dimensions on this rod resembles a bream rod on steroids and freatures single foot guides with solid titanium frames and the reel I used is an old favourite stradic 4000FG loaded with 20lb bionic braid, 2m of 20lb fluro leader and drag was set to 6kg. With this I was able to cast a 1/4oz jighead fairly long distance and maintian full contact with the lure and really make it dance.

The take was awesome and I clamped down on the spool to avoid getting bricked on the mooring. The fish then screamed of towards an empty mooring about 20m down from my position.....now my old stradie doesnt have the powerfull drag ability of todays tiny terrors like the certates and stellas but its smooth with a capital S. I let it run as far as I dared then clamped down on the spool again. This was followed by a lap of my boat then another sizzling run back to the same mooring. By now I could feel it begining to tire and pumped it up to the boat but it had one more run left in him. Again I brough it to the boat, saw it was securely hooked and took a turn of leader around my hand and swung it onboard. After some woooohooos and jumping around the boat measured it to be 76cm. The fish was in top condition and quite a bit more heavier then a similar size caught there last trip (resting peacefully in my stomach now, bit if it anyway). It gave a very good account of itself but I wasnt able to utilise the full power of the rod as the reel was quite underpowered.

post-1888-1167492396_thumb.jpg

post-1888-1167492569_thumb.jpg

I was quite impressed with the performance of the bionic braid. I have used the 20lb on the stradic for two sessions now and not a single casting problem unlike the Fins I was using previously which would knot up every few casts. The bionic was 3 years old and taken of my 4500 baitrunner when I filled it with 30lb

I am quite stoked with the day and by how well the Pelagic L performs at everything I have aimed it at. It has also proven to be fantastic for bouncing plastics in deep water. When I was a west head I sent a squidgy fish to the bottom in 19m with a 1/2oz gammy jighead and scored 2 undersize reds and an aprox 45cm grinner. cant wait to take it to proper snapper grounds :biggrin2:

Edited by Saqa

After having a flick with that Pelagic L, I can honestly understand how it could handle a kingy like that (no problems). :thumbup: Well done on the great fish, mate - sorry I couldn't join you! :mad3: Sounds like Haraka's placcies are doing quite well...

Flattieman.

PS. Go the squidgies! Good to hear that you at least caught a few undesirables on 'em.

With flatties I have no idea!!! Do I try deep water off shore or shallow water inshore? Tried windang around christmas but didn't have a boat and the lake was closed. The water was freezing and cold. Used those squidgies but stopped after about 30 minutes asI was turning purple from the cold.

I might give syd harbour another go. Had zero luck..all I have managed on the flats are toads and small bream. Used plastics and bait. Mainly prawns...hoping to get a king as a by catch ( onya Penguin) :074:

Used to catch flatties almost at will while living in swansea and pulled in some monsters BUT haven't tried seriously here in syd. The seriola lalandi kind of take all my attention. So any advice on these elusive flatties is welcome! Cheers Kelvin

There are few Pelagic Ls out there now, I have issued a challenge to all to see who gets the first 10kg+ king on one and get his name written in the rods history when I put it up on my site. I reckon swordie's the best bet as he loves taking days off to fish :1prop:

With flatties I have no idea!!! Do I try deep water off shore or shallow water inshore? Tried windang around christmas but didn't have a boat and the lake was closed. The water was freezing and cold. Used those squidgies but stopped after about 30 minutes asI was turning purple from the cold.

I might give syd harbour another go. Had zero luck..all I have managed on the flats are toads and small bream. Used plastics and bait. Mainly prawns...hoping to get a king as a by catch ( onya Penguin) :074:

Used to catch flatties almost at will while living in swansea and pulled in some monsters BUT haven't tried seriously here in syd. The seriola lalandi kind of take all my attention. So any advice on these elusive flatties is welcome! Cheers Kelvin

Kelvin

g'day mate. For the flatties I use 1/8 to 1/4oz jigheads and 3-5 inch berkley minnows and squidgy fish. Look for areas where water drains of shallow areas into channels and work that on the runout tide. My fav way is to use a deep diving hardbody. My favs are manns stretch series in the 5 feet and 10 feet models, use them according to water depth. work the lures so you kick some sand up. Use sp bream style outfit and minimum of 10lb leader as a decent flattie can wear through the lighter stuff. The hardbodies can be cast to likley areas and trolled following depth contours. Hope this helps

Mate come and hang out with the fishraider gang in Fishraider Bay...uh Hen and Chicken Bay! :biggrin2:

You'll be sure to get a few there!

Mike

Saqa

Do you fish for kingfish under the boats as you would for bream?

I would love to catch a kingfish but only having a small boat i don't go outside. I might have to make a trip to Pittwater soon. And up size on the bream stick and 1000 size reel!

Randall

Mate I just cast around the hulls and let it sink a few metres before working it back. I alternate between slow and fast retreives. The moorings in Pittwater is great for small boats. My one is only 3.6m and is quite at home there