New To Saltwater Scene - Advise Needed.

bas

Hi,

I am new to the saltwater scene, having spent the previous 30 or so years hunting trout in the high country. Since moving to the north coast, the rocks of Avoca, the beaches of The Entrance and the occasional deep sea trip beckon. But, I need to update my gear and want a good overhead casting reel. On a budget, so was hoping to get away with one reel, but different rods for the conditions.

After research, I tend to like the Shimano TLD-15 (or 20) and the Speedmaster IV. They both appear light enough for me to hold all day and should be fine for casting and/or trolling/jigging.

I am open to ANY and ALL advise on what reel would suit my needs.

Love the forum, very informative indeed.

If your after a tough/versatile reel, I would recommend an avet. There aren't many around in Aus, but you can get one fairly easily from the states. They start from around $250, a great price for an all metal reel. they are lever drags, BUT they are excellent casting reels, and the sx, the smallest of them holds around 200 m of 20lb mono.

Hi bas,

Hop on the internet and do a search on the Penn 535 or 545 series of overhead reels.

Tough, 6 to 1 gear ratio, good line capacity, 4 ball bearings, strong drag, plus choice of centrifugal or mag cast control. And good supply of spare parts. What else do you need?

Not sure if you can buy them in Australia.

But then with credit cards and the internet, does that matter?

I bought my 535 from the UK. Cost less than $200 AUD delivered to my door.

Another option would be the ABU 7000.

Regards,

Bob

Bob and others,

Thanks for the info, but I have looked into the Abu 7000 range and there are quiet a few of them (C/CS/C3 etc). Is there a difference and which one should I be looking it.

Hi Bas,

The original red ABU 7000 only has bushes, upon which the spool shafts run. In the "C" series ABUs, which cost more, the spool runs on ball bearing races.

Theoretically, ball bearing reels should run smother, wear less and need less oiling.

There are, however, countless red 7000s around and they have a legendary reputation as casting and heavy-duty fishing reels (some people do choose to replace the drag washers).

The only draw-back with an ABU 7000 for you, as I see it, are:

# Relatively slow 4 to 1 retrieve ratio -- not so good for spinning for tuna, kings etc.

# Has a level-wind mechanism, so you need to be careful to keep sand out of it when on the beach.

I've also heard some people say that 7000s are no longer assembled in Sweden and the build quality has fallen away as a consequence. But that's only hearsay, and Fishraiders who have recently bought a 7000 might dispute or confirm this.

I agree with Billfisher about the Shimano Speedmaster: It's now a dated design that lacks an effective casting-control mechanism. If you're new to overheads (and even if you're not) you can expect over-run and backlash problems unless you keep the bearings lubricated with heavy oil or grease and quickly develop a "well educated" thumb.

Still reckon you should investigate the Penn 535 or Penn 545: faster 6 to 1 gear ratio and no level wind to cause problems.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Kenmare,

The are some high speed 7000 models. Also they make a saltwater version with a stainless steel body. They have a couple of new high speed models with similar capacity to the 7000 but with a narrower spool. I don't recall the model nos but they are gold in colour. These ABU's are good for casting lighter weights eg small metal lures, minnows and when bait fishing off the beach. But they are not as strongly built or suited to heavy duty rock spinning as the larger Shimanos, Diawas and Penns.

Kenmare,

The are some high speed 7000 models. Also they make a saltwater version with a stainless steel body. They have a couple of new high speed models with similar capacity to the 7000 but with a narrower spool. I don't recall the model nos but they are gold in colour. These ABU's are good for casting lighter weights eg small metal lures, minnows and when bait fishing off the beach. But they are not as strongly built or suited to heavy duty rock spinning as the larger Shimanos, Diawas and Penns.

Hi Billfisher,

You're correct. I'm not across all the ABU range, but I believe there's 7500C with a silver finish which has about a 5 to 1 ratio.

Don't know about the gold reels, however, I have a smaller 6500C CT tournament casting reel (without level wind) in my collection which also has a silver finish and a ratio of about 5 to 1.

Years ago, if my memory serves me correctly, there were 9000 and 10000 models with both high speed and low speed retrieve, which changed down under pressure when fighting a fish. Don't recall seeing them for sale in recent years, so might have been discontinued. Perhaps other Fishraiders can help?

Regards,

Bob

The two speed 9000 and 10 000 models are discontinued. They weren't really high speed with the higher ratio being 4.2:1. They have a new single speed 10 000 model, but I think its ratio is about 4:1 also.

I have a 6500 model ABU with a 6.3:1 ratio. Also a 5500 model with two speed gearing with a top ratio of 6.1:1.

Edited by billfisher

Guest danielinbyron

If your after a tough/versatile reel, I would recommend an avet. There aren't many around in Aus, but you can get one fairly easily from the states. They start from around $250, a great price for an all metal reel. they are lever drags, BUT they are excellent casting reels, and the sx, the smallest of them holds around 200 m of 20lb mono.

I love the look and the idea of these reels , but i'm yet to hear of anyone giving them a good hiding .. In fact watched a fishing show sponsored by them recently and they were using shimanos {go figure}, but they were on a charter.. Also wonder how you'd go for servicing them? They look well designed and a little out of the ordinary .

I love the look and the idea of these reels , but i'm yet to hear of anyone giving them a good hiding .. In fact watched a fishing show sponsored by them recently and they were using shimanos {go figure}, but they were on a charter.. Also wonder how you'd go for servicing them? They look well designed and a little out of the ordinary .

Good to see you back :thumbup: